Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Feb 28, 2010, 1:25 PM   #11

Your photos are wonderful, Harriet. Nearly abstract. But I can't stop myself from wondering wether the architect had some of Penoltas mushrooms... Well, maybe it's simply California!

Kjell
bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2010, 3:58 PM   #12

The interesting thing is the architect was born in Uruguay, lives in New York, and has designed buildings all over the world - can't be a California thing. It's really brilliantly designed, considering the building site (other buildings all around). While my pictures give you a glimpse, they don't really do it justice. And also remember, it's a separate building, which means that it has to have a certain amount of separation between it and the parking structure for seismic purposes - they will sway differently in an earthquake. It's all amazing to me how they can make all those things work.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2010, 10:25 PM   #13

Very cool pics, Harriett. They remind me of the scenes in the Harry Potter movies in which the staircases in the castle just ramdomly rearrange themselves. You did a great job capturing the architecture!
mtnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2010, 1:02 PM   #14

Quite amazing, and a great series to help illustrate the amazing architecture!
mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2010, 3:31 PM   #15

Thanks for the compliments - I hadn't thought about the Harry Potter connection, but looking at the pictures, they do have that type of look to them.
Old Mar 2, 2010, 12:34 AM   #16

Everytime I try shots like this, the sky is blown.

Interesting and well done.
Old Mar 2, 2010, 9:07 AM   #17

This wasn't one exposure - this was 5 different ones. I used exposure bracketing and Photomatix to merge the 5 exposures to create these pictures - they are HDR (high dynamic range). I wasn't using a tripod so I didn't try the in-camera HDR feature, but I don't think it would have worked - the range would have still been beyond it's capability. The exposures were -3.4, -1.7, 0 +1.7, +3.4 (I used 1.7 stops between each frame - easy to do with the K-7, just set the auto exposure feature to 5 frames with 1.7 stops between frames and the camera does the rest). I did other things to the different files both before and after combining them in Photomatix (i.e., corrected the CA in each frame in Lightroom, added contrast to the merged file in LR, used Topaz Lab Detail for sharpening, resized in Photoshop). Otherwise you would have seen more than just the sky blown out, or else properly exposed sky and black catwalks.