Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Feb 28, 2010, 4:54 PM   #1

Default Is there such a thing as too much monitor?

I just got my Tax refund and thought I'd buy a new 32" LCD flat screen to replace the one that got vandalized when my home was burglarized a few months ago. Well, when I got to looking at what they had, I found they only had 720p in that size so I had to go up to a 37" to get one with 1080p. Then the price difference between the 37" and 40" was only about $50 so I decided to get the 40" The gentleman helping me got the cart and got one from the back and brought it up to the checkout for me. While standing there waiting to pay, another employee came up to the clerk and was quietly telling him about one the had in back if anyone wanted it the could have it for $500. Then she saw the one I was getting and pointed at it and said, its just like that one only in a red box instead of blue and its a 46" I said REALLY... I'll Take it!
So, for $100 less money, I got a 46" TV. and when I got home I cleared off my computer desk and hooked it up to my PC.
Well... you guessed it. This one isn't going to make it into the living room, its staying right here on my computer! Do you guys have any idea how awesome it is to have all this real estate to work with for editing and viewing
photos! I still haven't calibrated the color but wanted to see how well I'd like working on it with Photoshop so, here is a sample...

I was going through more photos I took last weekend and kinda liked this pose of the American Bittern. Notice how his eyelid makes a little sunshade over his eye as compared to the second photo.
(one I posted last week)

Life's a breeze on a Goldwing...

Last edited by Goldwinger; Feb 28, 2010 at 5:02 PM.
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 28, 2010, 4:57 PM   #2

Try looking a photos on a 65inch HD tv. That is quite a sight. I should have gotten the 72in instead after I got my 65in. Shoot I now wish I had a 86 inch.

Last edited by shoturtle; Feb 28, 2010 at 6:20 PM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2010, 5:07 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
Try looking a photos on a 65inch HD tv. That is quite a site. I should have gotten the 72in instead after I got my 65in. Shoot I now wish I had a 86 inch.

So true my friend! But, my desk won't hold anything bigger than this one!
BTW, you replied while I was editing my photos on this post so, I don't know if you got to see both photos or not. Just wanted to say something in case one was missing while you were viewing.

Old Feb 28, 2010, 5:13 PM   #4

wall mount the larger screen. Bigger is better with a display. Especially with HDTV. My next one will be in the triple digit I am sure.

I see the photos now, very nice

Last edited by shoturtle; Feb 28, 2010 at 6:17 PM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2010, 6:14 PM   #5

ROTFL! I'd be divorced if I did something like that - or else dead. I'm quite happy with my 26" Apple monitor hooked up with my laptop in dual monitor mode. What I'd probably like is two 40 inch monitors - that would be a whole lot of real estate!

And your bittern is a very nice picture, really like that first one.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2010, 7:37 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtngal View Post
ROTFL! I'd be divorced if I did something like that - or else dead. I'm quite happy with my 26" Apple monitor hooked up with my laptop in dual monitor mode. What I'd probably like is two 40 inch monitors - that would be a whole lot of real estate!

And your bittern is a very nice picture, really like that first one.
Thank you for the complement Harriet.

Yes, we have a 26" Apple monitor at work, its a very capable monitor. I was quite impressed with how much better my photos looked on it than the one I was using at home.

Let's see, two 40's side by side. I'd have to rearrange the room and get a larger desk... Wait a minuet , now your trying to get me divorced!

Old Feb 28, 2010, 8:39 PM   #7

I now suffer from monitor envy...never saw it coming!!
Old Feb 28, 2010, 8:40 PM   #8
Super Moderator

GW - 1 word is all i need to say Jealous!
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2010, 9:15 PM   #9

Yeah, I'd say "jealous" sums it up pretty well. I'm still fumbling along on a 19" CRT monitor that was bundled with our Dell PC almost 10 years ago. And if my daughter is doing her homework on that machine, I fire up my luxurious, low-end, 5 year old laptop with its 15" monitor. Harrumph!
mtnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2010, 2:24 AM   #10

First of all, sorry to hear that you were vandalized! But I hope that with a monitor that big... THOSE vandals won't be back! (Sorry for the dark humour, and again, sorry to hear you were vandalized)... Enjoy the new monitor. Ned
Eetu is offline   Reply With Quote