Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Mar 5, 2010, 3:15 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by bahadir View Post
Glad to hear from another happy camper : )
I love model ships and would also like to see an overall view of it from a distance with a nice bokeh at the background, which is a plus of this lens.
I used to make model ships... I have always enjoy ships all my life. Hope you might try some close up photography or various shots of model ships if you are so inclined. Cheers and all the best.

Ned
Eetu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2010, 2:09 AM   #12

Dear Ned, thank you for taking interest in a common subject of us which goes well with photography! Though, starting from primary school, I made lots of scaled model planes using balsa tree as structure and covered them in paper and hard gloss to fly them actually with rubber motor, my admiration of model ships wasn't supported by much practice, except a few trivial ones out of matches! Oh, sadly non of them survived due to the vandalism!! of my kids
But I'd be more than pleased to see yours if you're still keeping or making them : )
bahadir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2010, 3:53 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by bahadir View Post
But I'd be more than pleased to see yours if you're still keeping or making them : )
Dear Bahadir! Thank you for your kind note. No, no model ships have survived these nearly 53 years. Thanks for your photos, I hope to see more. By the way, my Finnish brother-in-law, he tells us that one of the best places in all his world travels is Turkey. I will have to visit Turkey some day. Well, thanks again, and all the best, indeed. Ned
Eetu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2010, 6:21 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eetu View Post
Dear Bahadir! Thank you for your kind note. No, no model ships have survived these nearly 53 years. Thanks for your photos, I hope to see more. By the way, my Finnish brother-in-law, he tells us that one of the best places in all his world travels is Turkey. I will have to visit Turkey some day. Well, thanks again, and all the best, indeed. Ned
Oh, pass along my regards from Anatolia to your brother-in-law And please let me know prior to your arrive...Sure it would be an unforgettable historical and photographical experience
Old Mar 12, 2010, 8:25 AM   #15

Ok, time to revive the thread for another post. I was able to get out and take some shots outdoors today, not the kind I really wanted, but still gave me an opportunity to test at the 300mm end. My kids are always a great subject, so here they are, also, here's the full shot of that ship I snapped before, just a cheap little wooden pirate ship.

MadMikeSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2010, 4:06 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMikeSS View Post
just a cheap little wooden pirate ship.
Oh, still capable of sending the observer, who's ready for it!!, far away in time and place : )

Surely that's a graet lens to shoot the activities of one's kids without distracting or intervening. Btw, I should say I quite liked the picture of the toy tractor by the puddle with some reflection : )
Old Mar 15, 2010, 5:50 PM   #17

Loved the ship. Glad you finally got a good copy. I've been on the fence about getting one but now may go ahead and do it. Got a choice between the 55-300 or the 12-24. I think I'll stay away from the DA-L's though..
Old Mar 15, 2010, 6:26 PM   #18

staying away from the da's?

is this the lower line of pentax lenses or not as good qa?

Im new to the pentax so Im not sure what you mean. I own 1 DA lens and a few SMC's.

Mind ellaborating on what you mean by avoiding the DA's?

I only ask to increase my lens knowledge to save money long term.
NMRecording is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2010, 9:20 PM   #19

He said DA-L, and yes, I want to say based on what i've read here, it is an inferior model to the the DA model.

Here's a link to the DA-L: 55-300mm DA-L

Here's the DA model: 55-300mm DA

Notice the DA-L has a silver stripe near the base, the DA has a green stripe.

Last edited by MadMikeSS; Mar 15, 2010 at 9:28 PM.
MadMikeSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2010, 11:54 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMRecording View Post
staying away from the da's?

is this the lower line of pentax lenses or not as good qa?

Im new to the pentax so Im not sure what you mean. I own 1 DA lens and a few SMC's.

Mind ellaborating on what you mean by avoiding the DA's?

I only ask to increase my lens knowledge to save money long term.
Hi NMR,

The DA L (L for "Light" as in lightweight) are the same optically as the corresponding DA models, but differ in a few features, all aimed at economy of production. The "L"s have plastic lens mounts, don't come with hoods, and don't offer Quick Shift focusing (a very significant feature for me). At this point, I believe the only DA L models are the 18-55, 50-200, and 55-300 at least so far. . . The current corresponding DA series lenses are the DA 18-55WR, DA 50-200WR, and DA 55-300.

For the casual shooter, these missing or changed features won't really mean a whole lot, but with frequent lens changes over the course of years, the plastic mount will not be quite as durable, the lack of hood will cause increased flare and decreased contrast plus offer less protection for the front element of the lens if you choose to not use protective filters, and the lack of QS focusing will make low light auto focusing more difficult and frustrating, as well as making any minor manual focus touch ups slower and more difficult. These models will be less expensive initially, but will also detract from resale value in the future.

In low light, with QS, you can manually prefocus the lens to close to the desired focus plane, and AF will usually do the rest if there's any contrast for the AF system to grab onto, otherwise the lens can keep hunting from lock to lock without any success. Of course, without QS, you can always shift to MF, prefocus, switch back to AF, the let AF do the rest, but it's considerably less convenient, considerably slower and more fumbly. QS, as implemented in the DA series lenses (with the exception of the DA 18-250, which could use it indoors) is a much underrated feature IMO.

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote