Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Mar 1, 2010, 7:45 AM   #1

Default This new 55-300 DA rocks @ tele end!

You may remember my complaits about the border performance of my 55-300 DAL, which was obviously a bad copy. Thanks god I decided to return it and now I almost have a lens from an upper league, well not only with image quality but also built quality and features! The addition of the metal mount, the quick shift focus ring and a usable lens hood are all quite welcome!
Below is a quick border comparison all shot on a tripod and f/8 @ 300mm. The colours look different due to different times of the day and date! No sharpening or whatsoever in any of the images below.

Simply wanted to share my delight : )

The left border of the new 55-300 DA

Left border of my ex 55-300 DAL

Right border of the new 55-300 DA

Right border of my ex 55-300 DAL

55-300 DA center (though not much of a discernable gain here)

The 55-300 DAL center

...And below is what the view looks like @ wide end of 55 mm and zoom end of 300mm (both taken with the 55-300 DA)

@55mm

@300mm

Last edited by bahadir; Mar 1, 2010 at 8:09 AM.
bahadir is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 1, 2010, 10:39 AM   #2

Glad you got the new lens - a huge difference. I noticed the same thing with mine - the center wasn't that much different, but the edges were significantly better with the second copy. Now out to have fun with the new lens, right?
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2010, 11:12 AM   #3

Glad you're happy with your second lens.

The 55-300 is a great lens...I think I must of been lucky as my 55-300 seems fine. I got one of the first off the production line...(June 08)...don't know if that makes a difference.

Anyway, Bahadir, enjoy your 55-300...given that it has a 35mm equivalent of 462 mm @ 300 on the Pentax digital...it has to be one of the best bangs for the buck out there.

I have read tests that indicate that @ 300mm...fully racked out, it doesn't lose clarity...which is not always the case with other similar lenses, made by other companies.
lesmore49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2010, 1:06 PM   #4

So glad you got a good copy of the lens. Looking forward to seeing more of your great photos with it!
mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2010, 1:10 PM   #5
Super Moderator

great news bahadir. looking much better on the edges!
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2010, 2:21 PM   #6

Congrats, the difference is huge.

Kjell
bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2010, 3:14 PM   #7

Hey Bahadir,
I can't tell you how pleased I am that you got a copy that you're happy with!
I felt a bit concerned over your disappointment with the first one because I encouraged you to get one. Now I'm happy for you.

Life's a breeze on a Goldwing...
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2010, 4:38 AM   #8

Harriet, Lesmore, Mole, Dustin, Kjell and GW; thank you so much for your kindness of sharing my delight and your incentive : )
As it is observable in your tasteful photos everyone has a good reason to have this lens. I have always wanted to collect the images of different ships passing from my sight such as below which I shot handheld just a few minutes ago @ 300mm.
You can place the location in the image above shot at the wide end of the lens.
image size: 1200x 764 pix.

Last edited by bahadir; Mar 2, 2010 at 4:42 AM.
Old Mar 4, 2010, 4:46 PM   #9

Nice that you got a good copy of that lens. I just picked one up myself when my bonus came in from work. Haven't had much chance to get out and test it like you have, but did some shots at 300mm indoors and in the backyard and I am pleased with it so far. It's replacing my Tamron 70-300mm, that although I was always happy with it, it was always just a little soft at 300mm. Those shots look nice and sharp. Here are a few short 300mm shots that I took with mine as a test. Quite pleased so far as well.

This is a model ship that one of my co-workers has sitting along the top of his cube.

The hooks from my kid's swingset from about 30 feet away.

The driver side headlight of my dirty van from about 40 feet away.

Last edited by MadMikeSS; Mar 4, 2010 at 4:53 PM.
MadMikeSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2010, 2:51 AM   #10

Glad to hear from another happy camper : )
''I just picked one up myself when my bonus came in from work''
Actually photography is kind of occupation or hobby which makes you feel certain about what you're going to do when you happen to have some extra cash even after raided by the kids
I love model ships and would also like to see an overall view of it from a distance with a nice bokeh at the background, which is a plus of this lens.
Although I do not often buy lenses I have been lucky(!!) enough to meet with a decentring issue everytime I bought one (...and I have only three) and about my previous 55-500 lens which I returned; I wasn't really sure (now it's only looking at the second hook on the left) due to the expected shallow DOF until I shot pictures of a level surface .