Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Mar 2, 2010, 10:58 PM   #11

I keep hearing about how the K-x is supposed to have a better AF system than the K-7. That may be true, I don't have a K-x, but I haven't noticed a problem with the K-7. It's faster than the K20, and I never thought the K20 was a problem. On the other hand, I don't shoot sports and only occasionally shoot birds. I did spend one day shooting sea gulls this fall with an AF lens (for the first time - all other birds have been shot with a manual focus) and didn't have any trouble.

The K-7 has a faster frames per second rate, which I think helps when shooting birds (though I usually only shoot 3-4 frames at the most).

As far as lenses - it really depends on what you want to shoot. Are you a person who thinks in wide angle or details? And what's your budget?
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2010, 11:17 PM   #12

Interesting review...although the tester says a negative about the Pentax K7 is that the batteries start to fail in cold weather ?

I live in western Canada on the prairies and I know we get much, much colder weather then England will ever see and this comment alarms me.

My K10D and KM (K2000) are out with me in temps down to -25 to 30 C and the batteries show no sign of flagging.

Does the K7 have different batteries that don't do well in the cold...? If so, that's not great for me.
lesmore49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2010, 2:54 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony3dd View Post
Nothing real special about the lenses I used. They were the kit DA 18-55mm, and the DA 55-300mm. For the money these are excellent lenses. If I could afford it I would buy the sigma 50-500mm. I have heard very good things about it from people in my photography club. For the short lens, again if I could afford it I'd get the Pentax 16-50 DA star f2.8.
Yes, I need to start of with a short lense... I will look at the 16-50 DA. Bigdawg (Ed) mentioned something about a 16-45 or something like that. Many thanks for your words and advice... and really, thanks for sharing your photos and taking the time to tell me how you like your Pentax.

Ned
Eetu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2010, 7:05 AM   #14

Glad to help Ned. I'm very confident that you will find the K7 an absolute killer camera. Let me know what you think.
tony3dd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2010, 7:13 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony3dd View Post
Glad to help Ned. I'm very confident that you will find the K7 an absolute killer camera. Let me know what you think.
Thanks, I surely will. With a camera body costing 656 EUR compared to 949 EUR, well, just can't wait till my tax return comes

Thanks and all the best.

Ned
Eetu is offline   Reply With Quote