Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Mar 1, 2010, 6:47 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyrics51 View Post
#4 captures a great expression, even though she is partially covered up. Well done.

Glenn
Thanks Glen. I liked the sparkle in her eyes in that one.
Old Mar 1, 2010, 6:48 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldwinger View Post
All very nice Ed, I like the playfulness in #4.
I do as well GW. Thanks.
Old Mar 1, 2010, 6:49 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eetu View Post
Hiya, Ed! Great photos! They are all great, but #3 is fantastic.

Ed, on Pentax DSLR, if one switches to "black and white", then would the use of a green filter for protraits / skin tone still work... and red for high contrast... etc?

Many greetings from here in Finland, where we just got some snow... and it is a country with one of the most difficult languages in the world... I still can't say "meet" properly... the word for "meet" and "kill" sound so similiar... I seem to scare people away.

All the best.

Ned
Thanks Ned. As Hards80 says in his post I never shoot in B&W but rather desaturate and the andjust the colors to get different effects.
Old Mar 1, 2010, 6:50 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hards80 View Post
well, irregardless of camera manufacturer, it is usually best to avoid shooting in the black and white mode of your camera.

shooting full color and then making your conversion in post-processing gives you much more latitude. you can then experiment with all of the filter effects and choose the one that suits you best. something you cannot do if you shoot in black and white mode on your camera.

also, if none of the presets give you the results you desire. making the conversion in post-process allows you to take full control of the image and make your own "filter effects" by adjusting the color channels.
You say it so well.
Old Mar 1, 2010, 10:15 PM   #15

These are really wonderful - when I looked at the second one I said, this'll be my favorite. Then I saw the others and gave up trying to pick a favorite.

One of the things that's fun to play around with on the K-7 is the in-camera b&w processing. You take the picture in color, then you can go in and play around with the camera's b&w mode, which also has the ability to simulate different filters. If you get something you like, you can save it as a separate file, so you have both versions. I only do that once in a while, but it's fun to play with. Both CS4 and Lightroom have very powerful b&w conversion tools - you can totally change the look of a picture with them.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2010, 10:34 PM   #16

Nice ones, Dawg! Reminds me of Grampa's prize picture of a year or two ago - its kind of fun to watch them grow up.
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2010, 11:51 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by penolta View Post
Nice ones, Dawg! Reminds me of Grampa's prize picture of a year or two ago - its kind of fun to watch them grow up.
Thanks Harriet and Pem. Pen this is the sister of the one in that other photo...course they are twins. The beauty mark below her right eye is the only way I can tell them apart.
Old Mar 2, 2010, 2:35 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdawg View Post
Thanks Ned. As Hards80 says in his post I never shoot in B&W but rather desaturate and the andjust the colors to get different effects.
Thanks Ed,

This is all so new to me... In my black and white film days, I always learned that a green filter will enhance skin tones... red will make more contrast, etc. the point is, is dealing with the light reflected as it goes through the filter... I guess what I am trying to say is that it is a new paradigm to believe that much of the work that is done in B&W photography through filters can now be done with a computer. This is not to say that I doubt anything that Hards80 has written, I am just saying I feel I am stepping out of time warp or something and have a lot of things to learn, even relearn.

You take care, Ed. I woke this morning to snowfall that has left Finland, once again, into a real winter wonderland.

All the best.

Ned
Eetu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2010, 2:41 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtngal View Post
These are really wonderful - when I looked at the second one I said, this'll be my favorite. Then I saw the others and gave up trying to pick a favorite.

One of the things that's fun to play around with on the K-7 is the in-camera b&w processing. You take the picture in color, then you can go in and play around with the camera's b&w mode, which also has the ability to simulate different filters. If you get something you like, you can save it as a separate file, so you have both versions. I only do that once in a while, but it's fun to play with. Both CS4 and Lightroom have very powerful b&w conversion tools - you can totally change the look of a picture with them.
Harriet, many thanks. Yes, Ed has really given us some expressive photos. They are absolutely spot on.

I read about what you wrote concerning the K-7... Looking forward til when I get mine. And I am sure it will be an experience to see what these photo computer programmes have to off, like Lightroom and CS4.

Thanks.

Ned
Eetu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2010, 10:10 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eetu View Post
Harriet, many thanks. Yes, Ed has really given us some expressive photos. They are absolutely spot on.

I read about what you wrote concerning the K-7... Looking forward til when I get mine. And I am sure it will be an experience to see what these photo computer programmes have to off, like Lightroom and CS4.

Thanks.

Ned
Ned...Here is a free program you can download that really does a good job with Black and White photos and color too. I use it along with Photoshop. It is a plug-in for photoshop so it will show up in the photoshop filter menu after it is downloaded and installed.

http://www.optikvervelabs.com/virtualPhotographer.asp