Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Mar 2, 2010, 11:18 AM   #21

Beautiful Ed. You did a nice job.

Patty
nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2010, 11:43 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdawg View Post
Ned...Here is a free program you can download that really does a good job with Black and White photos and color too. I use it along with Photoshop. It is a plug-in for photoshop so it will show up in the photoshop filter menu after it is downloaded and installed.

http://www.optikvervelabs.com/virtualPhotographer.asp
Hi Ed! Many thanks, indeed. Just downloaded the programme.

Take care and all the best.

Ned
Eetu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2010, 12:02 PM   #23

Great shots I know g-kids can be a challange I have to bribe mine, I reaaly like 3&4
Hans

...It is better to burn a roll of film than curse the darkness. Equip. K30, Q7, DAL 55-300, DA 35 f2.4, DA 50 f1.8 DA 18-135, SMC-M 28 f3.5, SMC M 50 f1.4, Canon P&S S100 w/CHDK Beta, Panasonic DMC-GM5, Flickr:
hnikesch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2010, 12:33 PM   #24
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eetu View Post
Thanks Ed,

This is all so new to me... In my black and white film days, I always learned that a green filter will enhance skin tones... red will make more contrast, etc. the point is, is dealing with the light reflected as it goes through the filter... I guess what I am trying to say is that it is a new paradigm to believe that much of the work that is done in B&W photography through filters can now be done with a computer. This is not to say that I doubt anything that Hards80 has written, I am just saying I feel I am stepping out of time warp or something and have a lot of things to learn, even relearn.

You take care, Ed. I woke this morning to snowfall that has left Finland, once again, into a real winter wonderland.

All the best.

Ned
one thing i like to add Ned. the filter effects in camera, and the default settings for many editors is pretty strong, i.e. they tend to be a very very strong red or green filter in my opinion.

doing it in post-processing means i can adjust the intensity down a bit. which i think really makes those green, red, etc filters look much better than their default intensities.

i am sure you will really enjoy the level of customization you have with your black and white photos once you get a chance to try. it's really quite fun and enjoyable to see the flexibility you have.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2010, 1:24 PM   #25

Many kind thanks, Hards80, indeed. Just can't wait til I get the camera. Thanks.

Ned
Old Mar 2, 2010, 7:42 PM   #26

A stunning set of images, Ed. I can't say which is my favorite because I like all four so well. I really like the soft tone and color balance.

Paul
Trojansoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2010, 2:58 AM   #27

Thanks Patty, Ned, Hans and Paul. Hans they are really quite easy especially Regan. She likes her photos.

Paul I did adjust the color balance by adding a smidgin of red, magenta and yellow.
Old Mar 3, 2010, 3:18 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojansoc View Post
A stunning set of images, Ed. I can't say which is my favorite because I like all four so well. I really like the soft tone and color balance.

Paul
Hi Paul! I am with you, Ed has takens some good photos, utilitizing soft tones and all. The second picture shows mood, thought. I like the third and fourth, especially. The third makes as nice portrait. These are all good photos... and it is really neat to see people in the forum chiming in with appreciate and even constructive comments.

Take care, Paul, and all the best.

Ned