Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Mar 2, 2010, 5:07 PM   #1

Default Good price for a Pentax K-7????

Hiya! I found a company in the United Kingdom that would sell me a Pentax K-7 (body) and does in fact ship to Finland. It cost about 858 euros. How is that for the price of a body. This company (Camerabox) also has a 3 year warranty.

Another company, located in Umeå, Sweden, which is where my son is studying for his PhD... they have a kit (one lense) with the body for 949 euros.

I am thinking of getting a good lense elsewhere, but I keep wondering if I should get the kit lense...

Still waiting for my tax return.

Thanks and all the best.

Ned
Eetu is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 2, 2010, 10:30 PM   #2

Can't help you with the pricing in Europe, but as far as the kit lens goes - I'm of two minds about it. I almost always recommend that you buy one because it's a good value - it doesn't add much extra cost and its reasonable quality. However, if you already know that you want something instead of it, I can see skipping it and going directly to the other lens.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2010, 10:40 PM   #3

900-950 euros is about the price in Germany with the kit lens if you go to a shop and talk to them. Which lens were you thinking about getting, if you pass on the kit lens.
Old Mar 3, 2010, 12:28 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eetu View Post
I found a company in the United Kingdom that would sell me a Pentax K-7 (body) and does in fact ship to Finland. It cost about 858 euros. How is that for the price of a body. This company (Camerabox) also has a 3 year warranty.
I think you'll have a hard time to find it cheaper. But do check out the seller's reputation, some of the low price internet sellers are "low" in other ways too... Check out their delivery pricing and extra's too, at times that is where they make their profits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eetu View Post
Another company, located in Umeå, Sweden, ... they have a kit (one lense) with the body for 949 euros.
The strange thing about Cyberphoto's pricing is that you get the body+kit lens cheaper than the body only... They are very reputable, though, I've bought from them several times and they have excellent personal service if you call them.

Kjell
bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2010, 2:40 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
900-950 euros is about the price in Germany with the kit lens if you go to a shop and talk to them. Which lens were you thinking about getting, if you pass on the kit lens.
Hiya shoturtle! There is a store in the UK that will sell me the body for 656 EUR. That is way too good of a price, since when I started tracking Pentax K-7 prices in November, it was over a 1000.

I can get a lense I have my eye on, which will do more than the kit lense, and be better quality. Though, it does not do any telephoto like the 200 kit lense.

Now which lense... forgive me if I am violating any rule, but instead of telling you which three lense I am looking at (I will only buy one of course), would you be willing to look at the following link and tell me which one lense you think would be good for a Pentax k-7. I have three in mind, but I want to sort of make an objective test and not bias others thoughts with mine... or find people to agree with me for agreement sake.

http://www.nultec.net/items.php?id=311115822

Many thanks, indeed.

Ned
Old Mar 3, 2010, 2:43 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by bilybianca View Post
I think you'll have a hard time to find it cheaper. But do check out the seller's reputation, some of the low price internet sellers are "low" in other ways too... Check out their delivery pricing and extra's too, at times that is where they make their profits.

The strange thing about Cyberphoto's pricing is that you get the body+kit lens cheaper than the body only... They are very reputable, though, I've bought from them several times and they have excellent personal service if you call them.

Kjell
Hejsan, Kjell. Always good to hear from you. Thanks for the info about Cyberphoto. I have also found a company in England, the Pentax is 656 EUR. I can really use the savings to get a quality lense... I keep looking at this company thinking, wow, what a price. Thanks for the info above.

All the best.

Ned
Old Mar 3, 2010, 2:48 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtngal View Post
Can't help you with the pricing in Europe, but as far as the kit lens goes - I'm of two minds about it. I almost always recommend that you buy one because it's a good value - it doesn't add much extra cost and its reasonable quality. However, if you already know that you want something instead of it, I can see skipping it and going directly to the other lens.
Hello Harriet. Hope all is well there in beautiful California, where I grew (San Diego, Monterey). You have so much beauty all around you and that is good for photographers.

Yes, I am of two minds, too. Now I have found the Pentax K-7 for 656 EUR in the UK, which is better than 949 EUR from a store in France. With 656, this really changes things, allowing me get a quality lense, memory card, etc... whereas with 949, my options were limited. Thanks a lot for kind input.

All the best.

Ned
Old Mar 3, 2010, 8:28 AM   #8

656 EUR?? Astonishing price indeed! I could hardly buy that camera less than 950 EUR around here!
bahadir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2010, 8:53 AM   #9

Thanks bahadir! So, how do you like YOUR K-7? Take care. Ned
Old Mar 3, 2010, 3:55 PM   #10

Actually I did not buy one for I'm still quite fond of the IQ of my K10D and decided to invested on a good flash and lens instead. However, I had a beginner friend of mine buy a Pentax K-x a few months ago, almost half the price of K7, and was really astonished by the iso 6400 outputs while still preferring my K10D at iso 100 though...That being said, considering my type of photography, I'd start with the K7 today anyway.
bahadir is offline   Reply With Quote