Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Mar 6, 2010, 10:14 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by jelpee View Post
I too really like to tone of this image Lou. My only suggestion would be to see if you can straighten the image. The shore line seems to be tilted up on the right side. I can't tell if it is the result of the multiple shots that were stitched or not. The lighting is fantastic though!
Thanks Jelpee, the shoreline has been haunting me since I took the pano.

First - I tried to straighten the image but headroom is a problem. I made a mistake by not shooting this and my lighthouse pano in portrait mode.

Secondly - The night scene may have given the stitching software fits.

Third - The lens nodal point was way off for the long lens used.

Fourth - The shoreline of Boston Harbor has many ins and outs and it could be contributing to an illusion of not being level.

Fifth - I have a level in my ball head and I know that I checked it for level. I did not use a level on my camera and relied on the "in camera level indicator". In the future I will use an independent level on the camera hot shoe as well.

Lou
Keltech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2010, 10:32 AM   #12

Bigdawg, thanks!

Harriet, I never gave it a thought but using it as a macro rail would do nicely. Not having any metalworking equipment using Plexiglas allows me to use woodworking tools to cut the material. I also find PG to be both strong, stiff and relatively dimensionally stable.

Lou
Keltech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2010, 11:32 AM   #13

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keltech View Post
off for the long lens used.

Fourth - The shoreline of Boston Harbor has many ins and outs and it could be contributing to an illusion of not being level.

Lou
Lou, now that you mention it, the buldings appear to be in alignment with the vertical, so it may well be the shoreline itself. One other area to look at may be when you captured the multiple shots: did you do an equal sweep to the left and right of the centerpoint of the panorama? Your tripod head appears to have a degree scale which should make it relatively easy to assure an equal sweep angle on either side of the zero.

BTW, great handy work on the rail!!

Jehan
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote