Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Mar 6, 2010, 8:45 AM   #1

Default March 2010 Monthly Challenge

Thank you all for your votes last month. And thanks to Patty (nhmom) for the interesting challenge her panorama idea brought to us.

Being new to participating here, I went back and did not find this as a recent challenge but if it has been done before please let me know and I will find another.

For this month my challenge is Reflections in Glass (any kind of glass including, but not limited to, mirrors).

Restating the guidelines: Pictures must be taken with Pentax or Samsung DSLR's within the last 90 days. Image size to be no greater than 800 pixels on the longest side.

Below is an example picture I took 1 1/2 years ago in China. Yes that is me in the end mirror.

Keltech is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 6, 2010, 5:41 PM   #2

What a great, timely topic. I've been playing around with this a bit this month already - I'll start a new thread with a couple of pictures I've taken already. I may enter one of them, but not quite yet - I want to see what else I take this month. And I still haven't taken the panorama I want to take, maybe tomorrow if the weather cooperates (sigh!).
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2010, 7:14 PM   #3

Harriet, glad you like the challenge and that it has not been used before. I'm looking forward to seeing your entry.

Today we had a break in the weather and it was a gorgeous sunny March day. My wife and I went into Boston to see what kind of a shot I could get for the challenge and I am pleased with the results I had. I will post a picture myself tomorow.

Lou

Last edited by Keltech; Mar 7, 2010 at 7:02 AM.
Old Mar 7, 2010, 9:02 AM   #4

I’ll kick off this month’s Challenge with one taken yesterday as part of a day in Boston to try out my newly acquired Sigma 10-20mm f4-5.6 lens.

The picture is of the 60 story John Hancock building. It was designed by I.M. Pei and Henry Cobb.

The reflection in the building is the historic Trinity Church. During the construction of the Hancock (built on filled land taken from the bay of Boston) the water table was so disturbed the Church began re-settling and much repair had to be made to the Church.

The tall building to the far left is the original John Hancock building that was for many years the tallest in Boston. In the Early 1960's Prudential built a 52 story building that became Boston's tallest. John Hancock not to be outdone built the second JH building.

After completion of the building windows began popping out of the tower during high winds. Fortunately no one was ever injured as the windows popped at night. A small scale replica of the building was made and put into the giant MIT wind tunnel and studied in order to find a fix.

Law suits went on for years between the tenants who were unable to occupy the building until the fix was made.

Lou
Old Mar 7, 2010, 10:07 AM   #5

Very cool shot! The Sigma sure does a nice job (there are so many people who love it). Pei has definitely been a controversial architect, but I happen to like a lot of his stuff. He certainly had a good idea with the reflection of the church, and the experience of the windows show that each building site is unique and sometimes current science doesn't tell you all that's going to happen. I know of another Pei building that was delayed because they found an unexpected underground stream that they had to deal with during construction.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2010, 10:20 AM   #6

First, congratulations on winning last months challenge!

This is certainly a great entry. Interesting way to combine the old with the new.

Life's a breeze on a Goldwing...
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2010, 5:55 AM   #7

Lou - Congratulations on your well-deserved win! And thanks for a challenging topic, and a great start-off!
mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2010, 6:47 AM   #8

Can we get somebody's post deleted?
pboerger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2010, 9:01 AM   #9

I presume that one of the above is spam??? Good grief, isn't there an island called Papillon that spammers can be sent to?

Anywhoooo... nice picture of the John Hancock Building, Lou! Ned
Eetu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2010, 9:41 AM   #10

Lou, this may be another winner, great shot.
FA 35mm f2, FA 50 f1.4, FA 28-70mm f4, FA 28-80mm f3.5-5.6, F 50mm f1.7, Tamron SP 70-200mm f2.8 Di, DA 10-17 f3.5-4.5, DA 14 f2.8, DA 16-45mm f4, DA 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 WR, DA 50-200mm f4-5.6 WR, AF-540FGZ

Olympus E-P2, E-P5, OM-D E-M1: 9mm to 150mm lenses

Last edited by Monza76; Mar 10, 2010 at 11:54 AM.
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote