Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Mar 7, 2010, 11:11 AM   #1

Default Need help with ID of this one too...

The conditions were impossible to get a good shot at this guy but, I tried just for the sake of capturing one. I wanted to find out what it is. any idea?

lighting even got worse here. I'm only posting this on so you can get a better idea of the shape of the head and beak.

Life's a breeze on a Goldwing...
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 7, 2010, 11:27 AM   #2
Super Moderator

kind of looks like a baby coot, based on the long head, shape of the beak and eye position. we have a ton of them up where i grew up, not sure how common they are in fla
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2010, 11:32 AM   #3

I think that is a pie-billed grebe.

If you are doing a lot of birding with your camera, I would recommend picking up Audubon's Field Guide. Good and fast ID section with color pics, and both male and female where appropriate. Also has lots of info on habitat to further narrow down questions.

brian
VTphotog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2010, 2:06 PM   #4

Hi GW,

Definitely a Pied billed Grebe. Summer adults have a dark ring on the beak, but winter colored and juveniles don't. These little guys are very shy, usually diving and swimming underwater to get as far away from anything suspicious on the shore. They can also sink down in the water until just their head is above water to hide if they want -- very tough guys to shoot.

Believe me, you did very well to get this shot -- I have many instances where I've walked literally miles around a tiny lake for hours trying to get close to one.

One of my luckier attempts:

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/pe...e-fishing.html

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2010, 2:42 PM   #5
Super Moderator

thanks for the correction. and it makes a ton more sense than a juvinile bird in March!

though the grebe looks remarkably similar to a juvenile coot we have here in the midwest.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2010, 8:10 PM   #6

Ah, Thank you so much Scott. I was thinking Grebe but, when I looked one up on the web, it didn't look anything like it. I realize now that there are several types and I was looking at the wrong one. Now that I know for sure, I can add one more species to my capture list.
Thanks again

Life's a breeze on a Goldwing...
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2010, 8:40 PM   #7

I echo Scott's comments on both points....definitely a pie-billed grebe, and far closer than I've ever been able to get to one. They usually sense a camera and duck under the water....to appear at a random location a good distance away.

Brian mentions the Audobon guide to birds. This is the Sibley guide, right Brian? I have about four pretty good field guides, but I find myself using the Sibley guide as a first reference and the others only when I'm not real sure.

Paul
Trojansoc is offline   Reply With Quote