Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Mar 8, 2010, 7:34 AM   #11

Paul, thanks! The fish on the table closest to you are indeed Atlantic tuna. These thick steaks are absolutely fantastic if you like your tuna seared on the outside and warm but uncooked on the inside as I do. I was surprised to see no Ice under the fish though. I have no Idea as to the price.

As for the first picture you need to understand that Boston was a City that evolved. Our streets were laid down on cow paths and not developed by city planners. As T.S. Elliot once wrote "Streets that lead like a tedious argument of insidious intent that lead you to an overwhelming question". In other words if you don't know where you are going you are about to be lost.

So also in the early life of our city urban planning was not what it is today. Much of Boston is built on land reclaimed from the harbor so where there was firm ground for solid footings buildings were erected.

For me the absolute charm of Boston is the mixture of the old within the new. It is everywhere you walk.

The Old State House just to mortify you more sits atop a subway line. One of the entrances is (or was) actually a subway egress.

If all the landmarks and Historic structures in this City were preserved in grassy parks there would be no city.

For me it is befitting that this building that was in the heart of the city more than two centuries ago and was the nerve center for a newly forming nation remain where it is in the hustle and bustle of its present day surroundings.

It speaks to the fact that the nation has changed and reminds us that it will continue to change. The buildings surrounding it will eventually be torn down and others built to replace it but this structure will endure to forever remind us were we have come from.

Lou
Keltech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2010, 12:29 PM   #12

Beautiful images. Gratz on your purchase!
tony3dd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2010, 1:37 PM   #13

The old state house is gorgeous, but the Trinity Church is my favourite photo. Very cool. Looks like a very sharp lens !
Frogfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2010, 6:58 PM   #14

As others have said Lou, these are all great pics. I see Paul's point, and I'm sure the old State House would indeed look lovely surrounded by some green lawn, but I have always liked the way Boston's old buildings and new buildings sit right next to each other in a crazy-quilt of contrasts. Your new lens looks like a real winner!
mtnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2010, 7:36 PM   #15

Very nice job, Lou. Having been to most of these places, you've captured them well. One thing I've wanted to do with the Zenitar is go into Boston and go to a lot of the places you went. I want to try to recapture the interior of the Christian Science Church. It's a very dark building and I needed a faster lens. The Z would be great for it.

The old Statehouse had two mysteries for us a few years ago. We were walking the Freedom Trail and trying to find the marker by it. It was a very busy day with cars and pedestrians and we stumbled upon it when we got stuck trying to get across the street. The second one was looking for the subway entrance you spoke of. I had never thought to look in the statehouse for the subway.

Again, these are wonderful.

Patty
nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2010, 8:08 PM   #16

I really like the shots, Lens looks great may have to put one like it on my list, The reflections are great and I really like #6

Thanks for sharing

Hans

...It is better to burn a roll of film than curse the darkness. Equip. K30, Q7, DAL 55-300, DA 35 f2.4, DA 50 f1.8 DA 18-135, SMC-M 28 f3.5, SMC M 50 f1.4, Canon P&S S100 w/CHDK Beta, Panasonic DMC-GM5, Flickr:
hnikesch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2010, 9:16 PM   #17

Lou - many people prefer the Sigma to the Pentax DA 12-24, I know you will love it. I didn't think to look at the Sigma when I bought the 12-24, I hadn't really heard of it and had a vague idea it was a fisheye. I suspect that I might have bought it over the 12-24 if I had researched things correctly before buying.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2010, 1:49 AM   #18

Very nicely done Lou. I must say there is not that much distortion in these. Or vignetting either. Very well done.
Old Mar 9, 2010, 6:16 AM   #19

Mole - Thanks and glad you enjoyed my urban Hike.

Tony - Thank You!

Frogfish - The trinity Church reflected in the JH building were my favorites from the walk as well.

Mtman - I also see Paul's point but when I think about the large number of historic sites such as Paul Revere's House, Old North Church, Kings Chapel, Faneuil Hall, Bunker Hill Monument just to name a few that exist in this oldest of American cities I don't see room for a city if each were surrounded by a park.

Patty - Thanks, I would love to see the Inside of the CSC photographed with the "Z". Even more perhaps the Mapporium. I think the fish eye look to the Mapporium would be an interesting take. Perhaps you may get a glass reflection in there for the challenge!

It's funny about the "T" stop in the Old State House. When my wife was working in Boston after school and summers at the old US Trust Co., she would use that entrance every day to commute from home. There is now a new entrance in front of the New City Hall.
Old Mar 9, 2010, 6:52 AM   #20

Hnikesch - Thanks! I would not hesitate to recommend this lens. The North end is a very picturesque and charming old neighborhood that teems with fine Italian dinning.

Harriet - This lens has exceeded all my expectation for it. The two nitpicks I have with it are:

1- The lens cap (difficult to put on, but easily cured with a $5.00 after market one).

2- The filter size is 77mm making it expensive to fit with a CP. The images I have taken so far look good without CP but there were some shots that I did not bother to take the as I did not have one yet (I ordered one yesterday).

BD - Thanks!

Yes I had read that there was some minor edge distortion with this lens. I have not seen it yet in the pictures I've taken. No vignetting so far but when I use the CP I'll need to check again for it.

The lens also seems to handle lens flare well for a wide angle lens. I took some test shots shooting directly into the low West facing sun and came away pleasantly surprised.