Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Mar 7, 2010, 9:34 PM   #1

Default A Walkabout Boston With New 10-20mm

I just purchased a new Sigma 10-20mm f4-5.6 lens. Having horrid weather for a week only allowed me to test it indoors. When the weather broke yesterday, I was off to Boston to have a go with it.

From everything I have seen so far I am very pleased. The lens is very sharp. What really surprised me was how close I could get to a subject with this lens and get an undistorted picture. When shooting at a right angle to the subject there is little noticeable perspective distortion. As soon as you begin tilting back the perspective changes quickly. The field of view blows me away.

Here are some test shots. Critiques are welcome.

The old mixed with the new. The Old State House dating from the 18th century. Notice the gold Unicorn and Lion symbols of our early British rule. After the American Revolution it became the Massachusetts State Capitol.

Current State House. During WWII I remember the dome was painted flat black so it would not be visible to German warplanes if they made it across the Atlantic.

A closeup (not a crop).

The Old John Hancock building Reflected in the New.

North End, our Italian neighborhood. Great places to dine.

Outdoor Fish Market (only on weekends).

Christian Science Church.

Trinity Church reflected in John Hancock Building.

Keltech is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 7, 2010, 10:05 PM   #2

Very nice series, I love the reflection shot. I really should visit Boston again, it has been a while.

Last edited by shoturtle; Mar 7, 2010 at 10:51 PM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2010, 10:49 PM   #3

Your shots are really outstanding, Lou. The Sigma lens has given you extremely impressive results. Shots 2-5 are particularly good. However, there are a couple of comments I have to make. I can't help but find the first photo tragic. The architecture of this building cries out to be surrounded by green space. The encroachment of the ugliness of the modern city is offensive to the nth degree. Not your photo's fault, but the short-sightedness of the Boston city fathers to allow such a travesty to occur.

Second photo about which I have to ask a question is the open air fish market. What are those beautiful thick steaks? They look like tuna, and if so, I can't imagine what a steak that thick would cost.

Well done, and congratulations on the lens.

Paul
Trojansoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2010, 10:50 PM   #4

Thanks for the walkabout, nice shots, the Church refection is fantastic.

My Flickr Photos

Pentax K-5 K20D K100D
Pentax DA 55-300mm 4-5.8 ED / Pentax M 200mm F4 / Pentax Tak K 135mm 2.5 / Pentax M 100mm F4 Macro / Tamron SP AF90mm 2.8 Di Macro / Pentax M 1.7 50mm / Pentax M 2.8 28mm
Rodney9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2010, 1:37 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keltech View Post
What really surprised me was how close I could get to a subject with this lens and get an undistorted picture. When shooting at a right angle to the subject there is little noticeable perspective distortion. As soon as you begin tilting back the perspective changes quickly. The field of view blows me away.
Congrats on your purchase of the 10-20, which I consider a 'must have' who love architecture!! Actually, It was the first lens I bought after my walk around lens and I quite enjoy using the 10mm end especially for shooting interior. As for landscape I still prefer stitching though...
I should also say I quite appreciated the subjects of your photographs. For example, 'the reflection of the past' in your last picture is awesome! The ones who know me always say I should see Boston and Philedelphia...I hope I'll do it someday. Hey, btw, you must be at my father's age to remember the buildings's roof's being painted in black during WWII : )
bahadir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2010, 3:11 AM   #6

Outstanding work Lou!

Life's a breeze on a Goldwing...

Last edited by Goldwinger; Mar 8, 2010 at 3:15 AM.
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2010, 4:01 AM   #7

Wow, beautiful pictures... Haven seen Boston in ages (or America for that matter)... Really nices photos. Love the reflections you caught in the building. Many thanks for sharing these. Ned
Eetu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2010, 6:00 AM   #8

Shoturtle - I grew up in the city and left back in 1967. When I returned 14 years later I could hardly recognize it. I do love visiting Boston and come into the city often from where I now live (a short 20 minutes away).

Rodney - Thanks, my next walkabout shots will be in your neck of the world. I hope I will be bringing back some amazing images.

GW - Thanks! Glad you enjoyed them.

Ned - Your nice comments are appreciated and I'm glad you enjoyed the series.
Old Mar 8, 2010, 6:01 AM   #9

Great results - a fine lens in some very capable hands!
mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2010, 6:23 AM   #10

Bahadir - I know I will get much use from this lens. I find it quite versatile as it is sharp enough to allow cropping if you need to get closer to a part of an image.

Being rectilinear I think I will use it a lot for landscapes and as you do for indoor architectural shots.

From seeing your posts in the past I know that Boston would fascinate you. Our treasures are antiques while yours are antiquity, different but both fascinating.

From the picture in your avatar I would guess you to be the same age as my son, so yes I am probably your father's age.

Lou