Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Mar 9, 2010, 2:13 AM   #1

Default I'm obsessed with the tree

I don't know why, but I'm obsessed with this tree.

The first shot is during the day. The two other shots are just before sundown. Anyway, let me know what you think.
C&C!!
Thanks,

Hector
Attached Images

StyleXP90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 9, 2010, 2:43 AM   #2

I like the first one but the other two have a little too much blurring for me....now I said for me...just an observation of how I see them. Nice gourd by the way.
Old Mar 9, 2010, 3:13 PM   #3

I guess my problem is that I want to get EVERYTHING in the picture...so everything becomes out of focus. I don't know why I do this, but I guess i'm not there yet.
Old Mar 9, 2010, 6:57 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by StyleXP90 View Post
I guess my problem is that I want to get EVERYTHING in the picture...so everything becomes out of focus. I don't know why I do this, but I guess i'm not there yet.
Nothing wrong with the photos if that is what you were going for. Go for longer exposures with higher f/stops to get the limbs in focus and the sky blurred or use those long exposures and back off far enough so the limbs are in focus and you can get that focus at infinity. Remember...you are the one you need to satisfy...not anyone else.
Old Mar 9, 2010, 9:11 PM   #5

Hector,

Don't get discouraged. A lot of this is personal taste of what you see with your eyes. As BD said, everyone has their own opinion. What matters is if you are happy with what you did and this is what you saw.

I do agree with BD that the 2nd and 3rd are a little blurry. Did you crop the 2nd and 3rd ones? I would like to see a little more of each of those images. (Again, my opinion.) On the first one, I like the gourd, but you might want to crop the image a little differently to make it more pleasing to look at. Taking this shot again (or cropping if you have enough image) so that the gourd is in one of the 1/3 corners with having the gourd in focus and the tree out of focus I think would make it better.

This would be using the rule of thirds (http://best-photoshop-tutorials.blog...l-gallery.html) It gives you a focal point that you are drawn to. Having the gourd and all the branches gives you too many things to try to focus on and your eyes wander around in the image. Of course, don't look at my images as it's so easy to forget all this stuff when the camera is up to your eye.

Looking forward to seeing more of your images.

Patty

Last edited by nhmom; Mar 9, 2010 at 9:14 PM.
nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2010, 6:00 AM   #6

Oi, Patty! Great advice! Great link... I took a gander at the link... two pictures just really popped out at me... I just love the system of thirds, not saying that it should straight-jacket one's way of always taking pictures... but for me, I work very hard at

With regard to the Photoshop link... wow, beautiful pictures there, but love the one of the lady in the field, looking backward/downward... then the last one... PERFECT... the horses... excellent foreground. I'm just chuffed to bits to see good composition... like these two horses I am refering to...

Thanks and all the best.

Ned
Eetu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2010, 6:13 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by StyleXP90 View Post
Oi, Hector! I hear what you are saying, but don't get down yourself. There many shots where you want things (foreground, background) to be clear... other times, you want various degrees of blur... thus it important to study not only composition, the system of thirds, but also the depth-of-field.

I am not the brightest crayon in the box, but we're all here to learn what we can from one another... share our success and failures... and even ask for help. SO, do note, mate, that you are in good company, indeed.

I remember your first photo submission, a notebook on a desk as I receall. What struck me was that though this is an ordinary shot (it isn't like you are taking pictures of the Queen, Mr. Bean, of the Grand Canyon), but the fact is it was your first photo with a new Pentax (good on you for buying it) and submitting it to the forum... but what I remember from that post of yours were your words, "I am so excited"... May I have watched Dead Poet's Society too many times, but if anything, Hector, be excited! Get out and take pictures, but learn what you can... and continue to submit your photos... and learn, that is what most of us are all about. Look at the link Patty sent, oi, flip'n eke... there are some beautiful pictures... but notice the system of thirds... that is just one tiny (albeit, very important) aspect to photography... Hector, at least you have a Pentax camera!!! [Ned Action] SIGH... I have a mobilie phone, Nokia N95. Went for a walk with my Finnish lass... people carrying cameras... ME??? Jok'n N95!!! I am desperate until my tax return comes... then it is Pentax K-7... and back to the Finnish woods and lakes I go... Point is, Hector, glad you are in the Forum... cool Forum, it is.... Keep shooting (pictures, that is)... and please, don't lose your excitement.

All the best.

Ned
Eetu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2010, 6:50 AM   #8

Hector -

I am definitely no artist, but see some really nice colors and interesting patterns in each of these, as well as a lot of thought... #3 keeps drawing me back to look more carefully. Perhaps if the branches were in perfect focus, it might work even better.

One thing that helps me is to keep in mind what story I am trying to tell with each picture, or what mood I want to convey...
mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2010, 2:08 PM   #9

Thanks to everyone here. You've been very helpful!!
Old Mar 10, 2010, 3:46 PM   #10

This type of shot can be very challenging, I've tried it a number of times. In general, the closer the tree the more impossible it becomes to get both the tree branches and the sunset in focus. If the tree is at a distance, you can manage it, but you don't get the close-up look of the knarly branches. My own preference has been to have the tree branches sharply focused and let the sunset sky be OOF (and don't include a horizon line, mountain or cloud). If you want to try for both and don't wnat to (or can't) put distance between you and the tree, try shooting as wide as you can and with as small an aperture as you can (i.e., f18 perhaps). Use a solid surface because your shutter speeds are going to be very slow.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote