Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Mar 9, 2010, 12:45 PM   #1

Default I need advice on a Pentax Kx -- about to purchase

I have researched several cameras and will probably buy a Kx soon. I am unable to purchase from a camera store and will buy online, so I am relying on reviews and those who have firsthand experience.

One point that came up in all reviews was that the Kx sometimes had problems with its AF system in that it failed to "grab" the subject.

For those of you who use the Kx and use the auto mode, how often does this issue arise? My old P & S that has died had these symptoms, and it was not pleasant - I like to hear click when I push buttons.

If this is a problem that only happens once in a blue moon, I will sacrifice for the affordability and for the size of the camera.

Thanks for the help.
Luke Stepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 9, 2010, 12:46 PM   #2

answered you question on your other post on this matter, smiles
Old Mar 9, 2010, 1:09 PM   #3

Hiya. Regarding Autofocus, the K-x AF is: Full Autofocus 0.097 sec.

From http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/KX/KXA.HTM
"Autofocus. The Pentax K-x uses an 11-point SAFOX VIII phase detection autofocus sensor, which offers nine cross-type points. The same sensor has featured in quite a few of the company's digital SLRs since it launched in 2003's *ist D, Pentax's first digital SLR. Indeed, the flagship K-7 still uses a similar sensor, although it supplements it with a dedicated AF assist lamp and a secondary light color sensor, as well as refined AF algorithms. It's a significant upgrade from the five-area AF system of the K2000. As we mentioned, though, there are no AF in-focus indicators in the optical viewfinder to show which AF point or points are selected."

"Responsive 11 point wide angle SAFOX VIII autofocus system focuses quickly and accurately, and can easily track moving subjects."

Hope this helps. I don't think you will be disappointed with the K-x concerning autofocus.
Eetu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2010, 1:16 PM   #4

The AF system on the k-x is actually better then the one on the K7
Old Mar 9, 2010, 1:19 PM   #5

Pentax K-7:
Shutter Lag,
Full Autofocus 0.093 sec Shutter Lag,
Prefocused 0.074 sec

Pentax K-x
Shutter Lag,
Full Autofocus 0.097 sec Shutter Lag,
Prefocused 0.082 sec
Old Mar 9, 2010, 1:27 PM   #6

In low light the the k-x is the better system. That seems to be the concern of the op.
Old Mar 9, 2010, 6:49 PM   #7

I have the kx the kx will be a huge upgrade over your point and shoot dont fuss over the reviews buy the camera you will not be sorry bought mine used through amazon for $509 with the 18-55mm kit lens the gee whiz things are nice ie: filters,movie mode,in camera editing etc.. but the best part is that it is a very solidly performing camera
bock1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2010, 1:17 AM   #8

I agree... sometimes reviews say things about ALL cameras that can put you off... bock1965 is right, don't be overly worried about reviews... By the way, Amazon has good service... I do business with them in (they are located in Bristol, England), and they treat me like I am royalty... Luke, you will be happy with your purchase. Just get to know your camera... take things slowly... just enjoy. Ned