Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Mar 10, 2010, 4:19 PM   #11

Harriet, I lived 10 years in Yardley PA about 45min. North of Philly. As Mtnman said there is a lot to see and the city has the same mixture of old and new as Boston.

There is an area called society hill that is something like our Beacon Hill. Old quaint upscale neighborhood with federal and Georgian style brick row homes. It is an area that went through decline and then rebirth. Should be nice photo opps for your 10-17 as well as your primes.

The Rodin Museum is a nice take and has the largest collection of the artists work outside of Paris.

The Franklin Institute Science Museum is a neat place.

The Philadelphia Art Museum has a great view back toward the city and you can take an I Pod and play Rockey music as you run up and down the steps with 40 pounds of camera gear on your shoulder. LOL

Philadelphia had a nice Zoo but it was in a bad area of town. It is over by U Penn.

There is also Independence Hall and the Liberty Bell.

If you are interested in the Revolutionary War and have a car you can drive 45 Min. north to Washington Crossing PA. There is a small Museum about the Battle of Trenton. If you go about 3 to 5 miles further up the Delaware River you will come to a quaint community called New Hope. It has a legitimate theater ( Bucks County Playhouse), many quaint shops and restaurants a stem railroad and a Mule Barge ride (it may be temporarily out of service).

Mtnman recommended the Amish country and I would second that. Still further west is Gettysburg. You will need time to take this in as there is lots to see and comprehend what took place there.

Last edited by Keltech; Mar 10, 2010 at 4:26 PM.
Keltech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2010, 5:30 PM   #12

Some good ideas! I doubt I'll have time to make it Gettysburg - we are staying the weekend in White Haven. Monday we'll be in Washington Crossing and eating lunch in New Hope, our primary purpose for being there, then flying home Tuesday. So we are planning Friday in Philadelphia, either Saturday or Sunday going to see a relative in just north of the PA/NY border and will have the other day for whatever. We're planning Independence Hall etc. on Friday but the weather sounds like its going to be lousy until Monday (sigh!).
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2010, 6:50 PM   #13

Harriet, I like both of them. The first is quite interesting and demands a prolonged look. It's funny, when I first looked at it, I thought it was tables. Then when Ned mentioned plates, I went back and looked again and thought , yeah... could be I mistook the perspective... could see them as dinner plates on a dish rack in a kitchen window.
Then you confirmed my first impression.

The second shot I find totally awesome. I think it (with Dustin's edit) could win a blue ribbon!

As for White Haven... my suggestion is skip it and come to Winter Haven instead, we're having great weather this weekend!

Life's a breeze on a Goldwing...
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2010, 8:22 PM   #14

I don't know where the relative along the PA/NY border is, but it sounds like your route may take you close to the Delaware Water Gap. If so, and if the weather is decent, it might be worth your while to make a quick side trip there.
mtnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2010, 9:42 PM   #15

GW - if we were going to Winter Haven I'd probably be much more enthusiastic about this trip.

mtnman - I looked - it's rather out of the way, it's almost directly north from White Haven to Binghamton (where they are). But that's an idea if the weather cooperates for the other day.

I may or may not have much for internet for the next few days. But we've got both the K-7 and K20. No chance of IR since I left the K100 and filters home.

As far as the pictures, my old kit lens just isn't working out very well for this. These two pictures were taken with the FA 77 Limited and they are so significantly sharper, it makes looking at the ones I took with the kit lens difficult.

I also took a couple of pictures across a busy area between buildings. I figured that since one has to use very slow shutter speeds anyway, it would be worth a try to see if I could get the shutter speed slow enough that a person walking by wouldn't register in the picture. The slowest shutter speed I could manage was 4 seconds (f22 and ISO 200, the lowest ISO that the K100 is capable of) and it wasn't slow enough - the person was a blur but still there. It was an interesting exercise for a noon hour walk.
Old Mar 11, 2010, 9:43 PM   #16

Nice, Harriet. I like both of the edited versions. The building stands out more in the second one. I like the layers of the "bike/table" shot. Interesting.

Looks like you have lots of ideas for PA and too little time to see it all. Hope you enjoy it. I've got a friend who's visited the New Hope area and loves it.

Patty
nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2010, 12:14 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldwinger View Post
Harriet, I like both of them. The first is quite interesting and demands a prolonged look. It's funny, when I first looked at it, I thought it was tables. Then when Ned mentioned plates, I went back and looked again and thought , yeah... could be I mistook the perspective... could see them as dinner plates on a dish rack in a kitchen window.
Yeah, but this post was on the heals of a previous post by Harriet of a building that had also sort of colourful design... I saw this picture, and thought... "Oh, some modern art design... hmmm... to each his own... but I like the reflection of the bike in the plates..." I thought it strange... I guess I have been Finland to long... I can't see Finns putting huge tables in front of window... Sorry to so jok'n daft... boy was I out to lunch... But, again, at first, I just thought it was a modern art thing in an American city. Thanks
Eetu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2010, 8:16 PM   #18

Actually, the table picture is the same building as the catwalks, just a different side of it. The tables don't normally "live" by the window - the tables are on a rack that's moveable and I think it was pushed against the wall temporarily, either prior or just after having been set up in the lobby for some event. Not a modern art thing, more a practical get-them-out-of-the-way thing.