Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Mar 10, 2010, 12:42 AM   #1

Default Couple of IR

Went looking for more experience with the R72 filter. Wondered if the filter would allow for reflections - it does. I thought this was a neat idea, not a great picture, but interesting.

It was a partly cloudy day and the sun kept playing hide and seek. As I was getting ready to go back to my office, I thought I'd try a more scenic scene, instead of a building like I had been taking. Right before I took this picture the sun went behind a cloud. It turned out a whole lot more dramatic than I had expected.

It convinced me that IR can be fun, I just need to experiment more with what works and what doesn't.

But that's going to have to wait for a week. Day after tomorrow we fly to Philadelphia. I haven't planned this trip out at all well, have no idea where to go, can't seem to get motivated to do the research, and have been reading that the weather is going to be lousy all weekend.

Does anyone have some tips for visiting the area, for someone who's never been there before? All suggestions will be gratefully accepted (and reactions/comments about the two pictures also).
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 10, 2010, 12:52 AM   #2
Super Moderator

if you are going for an IR look, i think a little play with levels will make it more dramatic. the ir look is dramatic and your version was just a little flat, was not over-the-top enough for IR, yet not natural enough for regular.
Attached Images

Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2010, 3:17 AM   #3

Cool shots... something about #1 intrigues me.
Eetu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2010, 4:25 AM   #4

Eetu - Yeah. Me too. I like all that layers and reflections getting all mixed in together.

Mtngal - I think this is a really interesting image! Nice capture.

Take care,
Glen
tacticdesigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2010, 4:44 AM   #5

Harriet! Your layers of reflection... the bike... the dishes... it draws me back for a second look... I really like this... I took the liberty to do some cropping... this is just an "idea", not sure you like it, but I was wondering what you think.

All the best.

Ned
Attached Images

Old Mar 10, 2010, 4:51 AM   #6

Ugg, sorry, here is what "might" be a better one... in terms my cropping... Don't mean to sound pedantic. Again, great, great photo, Harriet!!!
Attached Images

Last edited by Eetu; Mar 10, 2010 at 4:54 AM. Reason: Forgot to upload picture. Sorry
Old Mar 10, 2010, 6:43 AM   #7

Fascinating and eye-catching work! Thanks for sharing!

Can't help you with the Philadelphia question, but sure your talented eyes will find something of interest!
mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2010, 9:43 AM   #8

Dustin - my monitor at home tends to be a bit brighter than manyy, what looks OK on it will occasionally look dark on my monitor at work. Looking at it here instead of home I can see what you mean - the area in front, that was covered by the cloud, does need to be brought out more than I did. I think I was so distracted/blown away by the brilliant light where the sun was hitting on the far slope that I missed the rest of the picture.

Ned - Those aren't dishes by the way, they are large round tables on a rack. I like the idea of cropping from the right - there's some dead space there. And the top doesn't really add that much to the picture. But I'm not sure I'd crop as much on the left side - you are starting to lose the feeling of the tables. And I should boost the shadows a bit - it looks darkish on this work monitor and there's a bit of detail that gets lost more than I'd like, I think. I'd like the curves of the multiple tables to be a bit more obvious, I think.

Thanks, Mole and Glen - in some ways I'm surprised that the first one struck such a cord with people. I liked it, but wasn't sure if it would translate well since it's pretty busy (Glen is right about the various layers - the reflection as well as looking through the window).

I think the first one would have looked the same regardless of whether I was using IR or not, while the second one is definitely would not have looked the same. I'll have to bear in mind about how to get lots of contrast when shooting IR - looking for light and contrast.

Can anyone give me some ideas about Philadelphia and the area around it?
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2010, 10:37 AM   #9

Harriet, I’ve been to Philadelphia several times, but the most recent time was about 25 years ago, and my memory is rather fuzzy. Most of my trips were for meetings of one type or another, so I have done very little sight-seeing. I hope someone else will contribute better info, but for whatever it’s worth, here’s what I can offer: Center-city Philadelphia is rather similar to what Lou said about Boston in his recent thread: there are old, historic buildings right next to modern sky scrapers. (The area of the city that would normally be called “downtown” is referred to as “Center City; I don’t know why.) This provides very interesting juxtaposition of old and new. Obviously, Philadelphia is full of history: the declaration of Independence was signed there, and it was the capital city of our country during and after the Revolutionary War. Historic landmarks such as Independence Hall, the Liberty Bell, etc, are all well worth a visit. I wish I could suggest other interesting parts of the city, but I just don’t know that area very well.

If you have the opportunity to rent a car and get out of town for a bit, Lancaster County is the heart of Pennsylvania Dutch country, and is filled with many quaint and pastoral settings. Cape May, New Jersey is probably about 75-100 miles from Philadelphia, and is said to be very scenic, and is a famous spot for migrating birds. I’m not much of a birder, but I would expect that migrants are coming up the Atlantic coast right now, and this may be a great time to see the migration.

The Delaware Water Gap, also about 75 miles from Philadelphia (in the opposite direction from Cape May), is a very scenic area where the Delaware River cuts through the Kittatinny Ridge. Unfortunately, interstate Route 80 also goes through the Gap, but if you can ignore the interstate highway, it’s very scenic. Keep your expectations realistic: the Delaware Water gap is nothing at all like the canyons you have easy access to in the southwest. Back in the 1970s, I once encountered a timber rattlesnake along the Appalachian Trail on the New Jersey side of the Delaware Water Gap, which was a big surprise.

I realize that’s not much info, but it’s all I know about Philadelphia. I hope someone else who knows more will chime in. I hope you have a great trip.
mtnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2010, 11:34 AM   #10

minor correction: i just checked google maps, and Cape May is more like 90 miles from Philly; the Delaware Water Gap is about 100 miles away. Still, they are both within easy distance if you rent a car.
mtnman is offline   Reply With Quote