Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Mar 10, 2010, 12:53 AM   #1

Default Medium Format Pentax 645D introduced

Good news. The new medium format from Pentax.

http://www.pentax.jp/english/news/2010/201008.html

Good to see Pentax continue in it's medium format tradition. I await the first tests.

Last edited by lesmore49; Mar 10, 2010 at 12:57 AM.
lesmore49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 10, 2010, 3:16 AM   #2

Thanks Les. Great to see Pentax making strides forward... Looking forward to the results, too. Ned
Eetu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2010, 9:55 AM   #3

So it's finally here. They've been working on this camera for a few years, many wondered if it would ever be released. It'll be interesting to see how many they sell.

I happened to notice that it uses the same battery as the K-7, which is different than the one they used in the K20.

Now watch the price of older 645 lenses go through the roof...
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2010, 12:07 PM   #4

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

I think I'll get one as a back-up for my K10D. If anyone is looking for me, I'll be in moving residences to a cardboard box under the 5th Street overpass of I-75
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2010, 12:14 PM   #5

Thats a beauty.
Ordo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2010, 11:17 AM   #6

Here's some more info.

http://http://www.dpreview.com/news/1003/10031002pentax645d.asp

I quoted the following from the original Hoya announcement.

"Super-high-resolution images made possible by approximately 40 effective megapixels
The PENTAX 645D incorporates a high-performance CCD image sensor produced by Kodak. It measures 44mm by 33mm, and is approximately 1.7 times larger than its 35mm-format counterparts. Thanks to approximately 40 effective megapixels, it assures a wide dynamic range to faithfully reproduce the prevailing ambience and the sense of depth in super-high-resolution images that are rich in gradation and truthful in texture description. In order to bring out the full potential of the lens and the image sensor and assure the highest level of image-resolving power, the CCD unit is designed with no low-pass filters."

The fact that the new 645D has a large sensor approximately 1.7 times larger then a 35 mm (full frame) and 40 MP's...tells me that FF is not the new Medium Format.

I still have my Mamiya Medium Format film system and in the film era MF, whether it was a 645, 6 X 6, 6 X 7, etc....had a larger format then the 35 mm film cameras. The new Pentax 645 D's Kodak sensor size continues in the MF film tradition...the sensor is significantly larger then the digital FF sensors and then there is the MP count at 40.

I hope Hoya brings this new camera to the North American market soon. It is not cheap, but I do think there will be a market for it among professional photographers and affluent and avid amateurs.

Last edited by lesmore49; Mar 11, 2010 at 11:26 AM.
Old Mar 11, 2010, 11:19 AM   #7
Super Moderator

i am looking forward to seeing how this stacks up against the better full frame cameras. from the specs it looks quite awesome.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2010, 1:32 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jelpee View Post
I think I'll get one as a back-up for my K10D. If anyone is looking for me, I'll be in moving residences to a cardboard box under the 5th Street overpass of I-75
Yeah, you got room for one more in that box, jelpee?

Life's a breeze on a Goldwing...
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2010, 10:49 AM   #9

I hope now Pentax will get their full frame DSLR so I could use my myriad of full frame K-mount lenses. The market for a FF Pentax DSLR should be at least 10x larger than the $10,000 645D that can't use the 24 million FF K mount lenses out there. I would like my 20mm Pentax lens to be 20mm again and not 30mm.
jogiba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2010, 12:35 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jogiba View Post
I hope now Pentax will get their full frame DSLR so I could use my myriad of full frame K-mount lenses. The market for a FF Pentax DSLR should be at least 10x larger than the $10,000 645D that can't use the 24 million FF K mount lenses out there. I would like my 20mm Pentax lens to be 20mm again and not 30mm.
That's an interesting question. One that I have pondered for quite awhile.

I know many say that Pentax can't afford to stray past it's ASP-C range...but then Pentax just made the jump into medium format digital and as you say, an expensive proposition which will probably only be a small market niche.

I have MF film (Mamiya) and I think you had/have Pentax 6 X 7 film but other than professionals, very few amateurs had Medium Format back in the film days and with the cost nowadays, I'm assuming less amateurs will gravitate towards digital MF in today's market.

But I sure would like to have a Pentax 645 D, having said that.

I do think, contrary to the opinion of some that Pentax will eventually go to a FF. I think they may have to in ensuing years.

My reason for thinking this, is the introduction of Sony's DSLR Full Frame (850) that is significantly less costly to buy then other FF's from Sony, Canon, Nikon.

I fully expect that Nikon and Canon will introduce a lower priced FF DSLR to compete with Sony. In 5 years or so...the DSLR market may well be quite different.

I do realize that many have invested a lot in APS-C equipment (me for instance-2 Pentax bodies, 6 lenses since 2007) so we won't be happy if ASP-C goes by the wayside.

But...I don't think that will happen as many are happy with the ASP-C format. The fact that Canon brought out the 7D and Nikon the updated D300s...I think bodes wll for the continuance of the ASP-C market.

Although I do wonder if photography is in a bit of a conundrum right now, much like the old recording business...8 track, cassette tape, reel to reel..etc.

But then it changed where we have all sorts of recording fromats that don't involve tapes anymore.

Maybe we were spoiled by having film as 'the' medium for so many years and 35 mm as the format for so decades...so we could continue to use equipment.