Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Mar 10, 2010, 9:07 PM   #1

Default now a proud owner

Just got everything I needed for my k20d, but haven't had much time to scope out some places to get some shots.

Heres a few of the first pictures I took with the camera. I know I've got a lot to learn but I am impressed with this camera in low light. I used a small very dull lamp in the back corner of the room and two lit candles for all the light source. No tripod, and with such low light, these arent the sharpest shots. There's no natural light escaping into this room. Glad to be able to start sharing some photos with you all, whom I find take wonderful photos.

this one I couldnt stand still enough for. Working with very low speed in this light, shoulda had the tripod. Im curious about this weird reflection /motion blur(?) around the bridge pickup.

Please dont judge this really, not much substance to these. The les paul style brown electric with all gold hardware is one I made. The second guitar I've built.

More of the same, i really cant believe the amount of light this cam is getting on 400 iso. 200 was used in a few of the shots.

Overall i just love my k20d

thanks for lookin at some of my instruments! Ill have to get my others on here sometime
NMRecording is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 10, 2010, 9:08 PM   #2

Very nice.
Old Mar 10, 2010, 9:30 PM   #3

Very nice, and I love the guitars. It looks like you're discovering what shutter speeds you can safely shoot hand-held.

I don't think the bluish bit around the bridge in #2 has anything to do with camera shake - if you'll notice there's a bluish light reflection in some of the other pictures - a TV, monitor or???? I think whatever that light source was reflected and just happened to be reflected at that spot. It's actually sort-of neat - almost looks like a neon guitar. Were you using the kit lens? Whatever you used, many of these are quite sharp, they look very good.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2010, 9:42 PM   #4

well thanks for the replies. Yes this is the kit lens. what's funny is I don't own a TV in my house. I thought the same thing at first about the square reflection. Without any flash usage I don't know what else it could be. My laptop was, I believe in the next room altogether, but the more I think about it perhaps im wrong; what else could it be.

But I agree, i dont like it. Could airbrush it out but these shots aren't really worth the time IMO.
Old Mar 11, 2010, 1:03 PM   #5

Well, I like them.
I can appreciate both the craftsmanship and the musician in these shot, not to mention the photographer. I think you did quite well with the kit lens and low light. Did you do any PP in these or are they strait from the camera? As for the blue reflection, I really do like the look of it around the pick up in #2. perhaps you could start a new craze in neon guitars, would look cool in a club setting! different colors, flashing on & off with the music...
Well anyway, I believe your lap top is the culprit. Notice the first and last photo, in the glass over the framed picture... mostly in the last one, you can see what looks to be the reflection of the screen. bet you couldn't get it that perfect around the pick up again if you tried! Nice work.
BTW, just a note, for the sake of those with smaller monitors, try to keep the size of you posted photos down to 800 pix wide, it makes it much easier to view the whole shot with out scrolling and helps to reduce the bandwidth of the forum.

Life's a breeze on a Goldwing...
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2010, 6:20 PM   #6

thanks for the comments. Ill keep that in mind, sorry i work mostly in 1400X978 or whatever the standard is in case i want a wallpaper image.

yes the more i analyzed it, its def. the laptop.

the photos have a little pp work here. First thing i do is correct the black and white levels in my photos. Im noticing the whites been about dead on with the k20 but the blacks are a bit off by nearly the same small amount every time. Its like the k20 wont shoot a true black color? Aside from that i ran a contrast filter over it and upped the contrast between +1 and +3 in the shots,.PS7. am i missing anything with ps8?
Old Mar 11, 2010, 7:11 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMRecording View Post
thanks for the comments. Ill keep that in mind, sorry i work mostly in 1400X978 or whatever the standard is in case i want a wallpaper image.

yes the more i analyzed it, its def. the laptop.

the photos have a little pp work here. First thing i do is correct the black and white levels in my photos. I'm noticing the whites been about dead on with the k20 but the blacks are a bit off by nearly the same small amount every time. Its like the k20 wont shoot a true black color? Aside from that i ran a contrast filter over it and upped the contrast between +1 and +3 in the shots,.PS7. am i missing anything with ps8?

I'm not to familiar with PS7 or 8 others here can be more helpful with that info I'm sure. I got a real good deal on CS4 so that's what I'm using, its great but most get all the editing power they need from much lower cost software. Just so you know, I wasn't critiquing your editing at all. most of us tweak our photos for the best results. I was just more curious about the noise level than anything else. Its pretty amazing how low it is with such low lighting. Well done, I have the K20 also and mine never turn out that well in low light.

Life's a breeze on a Goldwing...
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2010, 12:49 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldwinger View Post
I'm not to familiar with PS7 or 8 others here can be more helpful with that info I'm sure. I got a real good deal on CS4 so that's what I'm using, its great but most get all the editing power they need from much lower cost software. Just so you know, I wasn't critiquing your editing at all. most of us tweak our photos for the best results. I was just more curious about the noise level than anything else. Its pretty amazing how low it is with such low lighting. Well done, I have the K20 also and mine never turn out that well in low light.

There seemed to be very low amount of noise in the few photos I didn't botch. Leaning up against a bookshelf and kneeling for these shots allowed me to shoot them fairly steadily. I had to throw it on 400 iso when i got frustrated. These were fairly dark raw, but mostly what i did was a simply brighten and contrast boost. With my old camera I was constantly messing with the colors in pp but I'm really loving the k20's warm crisp photos. It seems like the less I do the better.
Old Mar 12, 2010, 12:56 AM   #9

out hiking

Old Mar 12, 2010, 12:57 AM   #10

the top one i actually didnt do much to it at all. I remember trying to mess with it but nothing improved it. the second one was brightened +1