Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Mar 14, 2010, 11:29 PM   #11

glass can be difficult
but is better than bars and wire
i would be dissapointed with the photos
you can only work with what you have
try different angles with the glass, even bob down or stand on your toes
the one with the fish is a beauty against the light
as for the tones, i know my work computer is dark so i cant comeent
but i prefer to use curves to play with tones as you can pick which tones you wish to light and/or darken
Old Mar 15, 2010, 12:55 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keltech View Post
Frogfish, I know your frustration. Last year while in Hong Kong I went to Ocean Park where they had 3 Pandas. I experienced the same frustration as they were also in a glass enclosure.

Even with a CP on the lens I had reflection on one side of the image. Getting sharp focus was difficult as I had to shoot at an angle because of where the Panda was laying in the enclosure.

With my monitor I have to agree with Mtman that you need a levels adjust. The white of the panda dose have some blown highlights as well. They are difficult animals to photograph at best but under the circumstances you managed to get a nice keepsake.

Lou
Lou, sorry for my ignorance but what is a CP? I assume some kind of filter?
NMRecording is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2010, 1:37 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMRecording View Post
Lou, sorry for my ignorance but what is a CP? I assume some kind of filter?
Sorry, it's a circular polarizing filter. They generally cut out (or reduce) reflections from glass.

Lou
Keltech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2010, 2:41 PM   #14

frogfish-

Yes, these are the kind of images that make you wince. But the images can be recovered with photo editing. I hope that you don't object to my working on your Panda image a bit. I used ACDSee. The other images should clean-up the same way.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

Last edited by mtclimber; Mar 15, 2010 at 2:43 PM.
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2010, 5:42 PM   #15

I ran ninto the same thing at the atlanta Zoo my friend. Not just that there was glass but the glass was fogged over. The birds came out good though. Very nicely done.
Old Mar 16, 2010, 2:52 PM   #16

Thanks for the tips John. I actually found that mesh was easier because it disappears if the camera is up against it and the focus is fixed at a distant point - but bars are awful of course ! I will definitely have to play more with Levels as suggested !

Sarah - no objection at all ! I really appreciate people taking the time to download my images and see how they can improve them. I have some more Panda photos to play with so I'll try to achieve better levels, as you have done, with them.

Thank you Dawg ! I am very surprised and pleased at some of the shots achieved with the older supposedly 'soft' Pentax 80-320 .... especially for the bargain price of US$100 The only problem I've found is that it has no MF / AF switch .... meaning I can't use the 'shoot in focus' function of the K7 (as both camera and lens have to be switched to manual).

Last edited by Frogfish; Mar 16, 2010 at 2:55 PM.
Frogfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2010, 3:43 PM   #17

Frogfish, you asked for some advice on postprocessing... I am probably the last one in this forum to really offer some advice that would meet your needs, but my son and I were admiring your Panda bear... Panda's are really popular with Finns... they used one for a lovely Finnair commercial... they have a major chocolate company named Panda... anywhooo, sorry to dirgress, I hope you don't mind, but this is my fourth attempt at post-processing... I added contrast, worked with lighing and backlighting, saturation, came up with the following... I just loved your photo... I kindly put this forward as "idea" of what I would do with the photo... again, I don't mind admitting to being new to postprocessing, I just want to learn, and learn much. Thanks again for your photos.

Ned
Attached Images

Eetu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2010, 9:35 AM   #18

Nice work Ned !

I have cleaned up the noise. This collaborative effort looks much better already than my original
Attached Images

Frogfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2010, 9:45 AM   #19

Ah, great!!! Thanks for taking out the noise... Excellent, and thanks again for YOUR good photos! Ned
Eetu is offline   Reply With Quote