Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Mar 12, 2010, 4:59 PM   #1

Default Shanghai Zoo - Part 1

I am disappointed. Very.

It was a gorgeous day (a little too gorgeous, very strong sunlight !) and walking through the lovely parkland, trees, lakes and bamboo forests to the enclosures just heightened my anticipation ...... I was going to photograph the 10 young pandas (all under 2 years old and born after the Szichuan earthquake) that are adjusting to their new home for the next few months in Shanghai for the World Expo that starts here soon.

On arrival though, there was a little crowd, that wasn't the brunt of my newly disgruntled demeanor ..... no it was that the new panda enclosure was totally surrounded, both inside and outside ....by glass ! Oh well, I did my best and at least the other birds and animals were far more accessible.

Anyway I would love any advice on how to process these panda photos (one here ..more to follow). I did try to follow the 'photographing thru glass rules; angle, up against the glass, black cloth, clean the glass etc etc. so it is more tips re. the PP that I need !
Attached Images

Last edited by Frogfish; Mar 12, 2010 at 5:03 PM.
Frogfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 12, 2010, 5:01 PM   #2

...and a couple more. Lots more to make you suffer through later this weekend
Attached Images

Old Mar 12, 2010, 8:25 PM   #3

Nice job with the Panda, shooting through glass. I think all of these pictures could benefit by some slight Levels adjustments.
mtnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2010, 5:06 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnman View Post
Nice job with the Panda, shooting through glass. I think all of these pictures could benefit by some slight Levels adjustments.

Thanks ! I did have to clone out parts of the background where the reflections were too obvious.

Could you elaborate on the Levels ? I have played around with the Levels in LR3 but in the end I found that I actually preferred the slightly darker level in the photos above. Is this just my personal preference or does everyone feel they are under-exposed ?

It was a pity the sun was behind the birds at feeding time but fun to also see some of the local birds (the heron) joining in the feast !
Old Mar 13, 2010, 12:12 PM   #5

Frogfish, I know your frustration. Last year while in Hong Kong I went to Ocean Park where they had 3 Pandas. I experienced the same frustration as they were also in a glass enclosure.

Even with a CP on the lens I had reflection on one side of the image. Getting sharp focus was difficult as I had to shoot at an angle because of where the Panda was laying in the enclosure.

With my monitor I have to agree with Mtman that you need a levels adjust. The white of the panda dose have some blown highlights as well. They are difficult animals to photograph at best but under the circumstances you managed to get a nice keepsake.

Lou
Keltech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2010, 2:51 PM   #6

Considering the circumstances they're pretty good. I really like the one with the fish caught in motion.

Patty
nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2010, 4:24 PM   #7

I think you did pretty good under the circumstances. I won't critique your PP because I'm not sure my monitor is representing the true color and contrast right now.
My biggest complaint is I don't know the names of most of the birds you posted, is it possible you could enlighten me?

Life's a breeze on a Goldwing...
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2010, 4:29 PM   #8

I can only agree with the above, but looking at the Panda, and especially the last.. wow, the last is just such a beautiful shot! Thanks for sharing these. Ned
Eetu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2010, 6:34 PM   #9

These are some beautiful shots of an amazing diversity of life! Very well done! Just try playing with levels and curves, and see what you think...
mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2010, 6:20 AM   #10

Lou - you feel my pain ! Your experience at Ocean Park replicates mine. There was also strong sunlight pouring in from the windows directly opposite the viewing gallery area that caused the blown highlights at the edges of the panda's head - obviously no-one thought of photographers when designing the pen !

GW - I'm not certain of all of the names either but I'll try : 2. Pelican (don't know which one sorry - I'll try and find out for you when I next visit in a week or two), 3 & 7 - Yellow Billed Storks (Mycteria Ibis), 6. Blue Heron (not a zoo exhibit but a local interloper) !

Patty - Thank you ! I love that one too.

Ned - Thank you for your very encouraging comments !

Mole - Thank you ! I think I must go back to LR and try again as most people find the levels off somewhat.

I will try and process more of the Panda photos this evening (but only after the F1 in Bahrain) !