Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Mar 13, 2010, 12:43 PM   #1

Default K20D vs K7 AF Adustment Question

I read a thread on the other forum regarding AF adjustment on the K7. A poster said that if the amount of foucs adjustment in the custom menu for the "apply to one" lens was not enough, you could also make an adjustment to the "apply to all" lenses and that the adjustments are additive. In other words, if you made an adjustment of -10 in the apply to all lenses, and then an adjustment of -5 in the apply to one lens it would add up to -15 for that lens.

My Sigma 24-60mm is out by more than -10 on my K20D, so I tried setting -10 on apply all, and also -10 on apply one and it made no difference. The K20D manual sort of indicates that the two adjustments act independent of each other so they wouldn't be additive. The one that is in effect is the the one selected in the custom menu setting. There is not option for both being in effect. I downloaded the K7 manual and it uses the same wording.

Does anyone here have an opinion through actual experience that the two adjustments are additive so you can achieve more than a 10 step correction on either the K20D or K7?

Thanks,
Jim
a200user is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 13, 2010, 1:31 PM   #2

I think I just answered my own question. EXIF data viewed in Photome shows a field for AF adjustment. I just set the K20D for -5 on all lenses and -10 for one lens. I took two photos, one with the AF adjust menu set for "apply all" and one with AF adjust set for "apply one". Exif data shows AF adjust of -5 for the first and -10 for the second, so the settings are not additive.
Jim
Old Mar 13, 2010, 2:29 PM   #3

Hmmm, too bad it didn't work. The last time I had done the testing I had a lens that -10 wasn't enough and wasn't sure what to do. So, I just left it that way. It was better than at 0.

Patty
nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2010, 5:11 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhmom View Post
Hmmm, too bad it didn't work. The last time I had done the testing I had a lens that -10 wasn't enough and wasn't sure what to do. So, I just left it that way. It was better than at 0.

Patty
Same here. It's only on my Sigma 24-60mm. Stopped down to 3.5 or 4 it's fine. I only notice the problem wide open at 2.8 where this lens is reported to be a little soft anyhow.

It's strange that the poster on the other forum reported that on his K7 a combination of adjustments solved the problem.

Jim