Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Mar 13, 2010, 9:03 PM   #1

Default Farm Pano

This didn't quite come out like I was expecting. Any C&C welcome. What can I do to improve this?

Taken during the power outage a few weeks ago on one of my "time to warm up" outings. As for the white balance issue with the snow, I was amazed how it processed. I took these in (I think it was 5 or 6 shots) RAW and pulled them in at once into PE8 without converting to jpg first. I had forgotten to set the same, so they were of all shades of white. If I'd known I didn't have to process them I would have done it earlier. It automatically matched them all for me.

Patty
Attached Images

nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 13, 2010, 10:50 PM   #2

Very nice Patty,
What are the two round objects between the road and the rock fence?
I think I'd clone them out with some snow.
Your comment on your goof turning out so nice made me chuckle, amazing what we technophiles can do when we aren't trying.

Life's a breeze on a Goldwing...
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2010, 11:01 PM   #3

Very beautiful, Patty. It's almost like a Norman Rockwell or Currier & Ives vision of New England in winter, even down to the rock wall. The snow match is good. The only place it looked like the software had a little trouble was in the sky on the left images of the pano. Where it's behind the tree limbs, it's lighter than the sky on the right half. Well done.

Paul
Trojansoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2010, 7:04 PM   #4

I like it. Not sure if it's just my laptop monitor, but I think it could use a slight bit of levels adjustment, to lighten it just a bit (mid-tones mostly, would depend on the histogram). The latest versions of photoshop/elements has a very good pano mode - it will match the colors and exposure. The only time I had trouble with it looking really good was one time I had quite a bit of vignetting. I had to correct that first before doing the pano.

I don't mind the differences in light/dark on the various sides of the sky - it's pretty believable for me to see one part of the sky darker than another.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2010, 7:46 PM   #5

Thanks, GW, Paul and Harriet.

GW - I'm not sure what the black things are. I'll have to drive over there tomorrow and see them in real life. I did clone them out.

Paul - It may have been the sky that day. I looked at all the images I took and the sky is always darker on the right. Thanks for the compliment on the Currier & Ives scene.

Harriet - I was thinking it looked dark, but was on the laptop and afraid if I did much more it would blow out the snow.

I've made the adjustments recommended by you all. Here it is. Is this better?

Patty
Attached Images

nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2010, 8:58 PM   #6

Patty, nice pano. Paul hit the nail on the head, looks like a Currier and Ives card.

I like it with the black bins cloned out but I think it looked better tonally in the first picture. I liked the drama in the sky and in the second one you lost some of that.

Lou
Keltech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2010, 9:38 PM   #7

Well... I do like the edited one better. I think I'd be tempted to take both of them into photoshop and use the sky in the first with the landscape from the second.

Life's a breeze on a Goldwing...
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2010, 12:16 AM   #8

i like the first one
there seems more textures in it for both the snow and the sky
it can be hard making something look "white" but still keep all the textures in it
i dont mind the sky being darker to the right either, it does add a sense of an impending storm
removing the round things is an improvent though
Old Mar 15, 2010, 4:06 AM   #9

Patty, this is awesome... other than Harriet's advice... in my mind's eye, I would have made just the tiniest more use of the tree to your left, perhaps moving back a foot or two and use the top branch more IF it would serve the composition better. Also, I would have left out the road... Those rock walls are beautiful... they really remind me of Rhode Island. Very, very beautiful picture. Thanks for sharing it.

Ned
Eetu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2010, 6:56 AM   #10

Beautiful work, both of them. I agree that the sky is more dramatic in the first, the snow a bit clearer in the second. Not sure how to balance both, but do prefer the first overall. This is definitely a wall-hanger!
mole is offline   Reply With Quote