Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Mar 14, 2010, 7:38 PM   #1

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG
Default The other side of the tracks

Photographed these today...K10D + DA 18-250mm

From a pedestrian overpass, an east bound train and a west bound one had both stopped for the tracks to clear.

I ran down track side and shot this from a different perspective.

I loitered around until after dark and captured the same locomotive returning with a new set of cars.
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 14, 2010, 8:12 PM   #2

Very nicely done, jelpee! what scale are these?

Life's a breeze on a Goldwing...
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2010, 5:43 AM   #3

Some lovingly-planned details in the trains, and well-photographed too!
mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2010, 6:03 AM   #4

Hi Jehan! Wow, you are at it again, with some more amazing shots. If I may, photo #2, the foreground is just a little "too" blury... I just take time and practice with settings, but I would lessen the blur some... secondly, your engine could not be in a better place coming out of the tunnel... that is perfect, but the boxcar entering the tunnel... what would happen if you either had it further in the tunnel, or not in the picture at all?

Now for the last one, this good... just very cool Jehan, you are in the ballpark. I have a flashlight, very cheap, with an attachment to reduce the brightness (so I can read at night and not wake my wife up)... but this past weekend, I thought how when it shines against the wall, well it would make a good MOON! With that said, I would take your last picture, have some hold such a light, I would shift to the left so that the train is seen MORE in connection with the tunnel, and I would try to lose the empty track in the foreground, thus my reason for shifting to the left and catching the train from more of the front but mostly the side angle you are shooting from... the lighting will look more like the moon, rather that two parking lot lights. Just a perspective, my friend. I ENJOY these photos.. Thank you so much for providing these on the forum! I provide slight cropping... to give you an visual idea, but think of what I mentioned above and perhaps have some fun with that. These photos provide the fun of your hobby for us all.

Oh, we already know that this is a simulated night shot... you have done your duty in showing that, so I cropped out a little of the night to focus more on the train.

All the best.

Ned
Attached Images

Eetu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2010, 9:54 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldwinger View Post
Very nicely done, jelpee! what scale are these?
Thanks GW. This is HO scale.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mole View Post
Some lovingly-planned details in the trains, and well-photographed too!
Thanks Mole..my other hobby!

Ned (Eetu): Thanks for the on-going suggestions for improvement...let me send you a PM or an e-mail with some detailed discussions and additional questions!

Jehan
Old Mar 15, 2010, 12:48 PM   #6

You did good with it, jelpee. quite realistic for sure. All you need is some graffiti on the walls of the underpass and box cars and you'd be hard put to not think it real! I started to get into N gauge about 20 years ago but, it got to expensive and we moved to a smaller house so the lay got put in storage for a while, the got rid of it.

Life's a breeze on a Goldwing...
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2010, 6:48 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldwinger View Post
You did good with it, jelpee. quite realistic for sure. All you need is some graffiti on the walls of the underpass and box cars and you'd be hard put to not think it real! I started to get into N gauge about 20 years ago but, it got to expensive and we moved to a smaller house so the lay got put in storage for a while, the got rid of it.
Thanks GW. Re the grafitti, that's where I'm devoid of talent...but I know exactly what you mean. I would also love to have my locomotives "weathered" to look faded, dusty with grease and grime to go with it. Hard to do when you spend over $100 for a locomotive and then decide to make it look old and worn! It adds significantly to the realism.
Old Mar 15, 2010, 8:17 PM   #8

Cool shots! And, cool idea.

Patty
nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2010, 12:15 AM   #9

Hi jelpee,

Another suggestion would be to use very high ISO or add noise to the shots in PP. This, I think, decreases the "brand spanking new" look of the cars and the uniformity of the gravel and foliage.

Here's a quick noise addition (I know it's counter-intuitive) of the first shot

Scott

Some very nice modeling BTW! . . . not to mention the nice work on the shots. . .
Attached Images

snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2010, 5:45 AM   #10

Nice shots of a fine HO set up. A little graffiti on the boxcars would make them more realistic or at least like what I see of railroad cars up here.

Lou
Keltech is offline   Reply With Quote