Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Mar 15, 2010, 6:04 AM   #1

Default First Woodland Bloom (plus birds)

Spring is fast approaching here in the East Tennessee Hills. One of the first harbingers of spring is a tiny woodland flower called, appropriately enough, Harbinger Of Spring. It's a VERY SMALL flower, easy to miss, but an exciting indication of things to come. Here are a few views of this little gem, taken along a trail here in our park yesterday afternoon:
Attached Images

mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 15, 2010, 6:05 AM   #2

Did not take many other photos on this hike - too much rain for my (non-weatherproof) camera, and dogs too frisky to stop. But did notice some fascinating fungus - it's a form of cup fungus...
Attached Images

Old Mar 15, 2010, 6:06 AM   #3

And back at home, the bird feeder was as busy as any winter day, but many more songs, as birds are beginning the courting and nesting rituals!
Attached Images

Old Mar 15, 2010, 6:08 AM   #4

And one more spring shot - one of our springtime salamanders out and active!
Attached Images

Old Mar 15, 2010, 6:09 AM   #5

Perhaps you can tell I'm excited about spring approaching...

Sure do hope your season is progressing safely & well!

Thanks for any comments & critique.
Old Mar 15, 2010, 6:11 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by mole View Post
Spring is fast approaching here in the East Tennessee Hills. One of the first harbingers of spring is a tiny woodland flower called, appropriately enough, Harbinger Of Spring. It's a VERY SMALL flower, easy to miss, but an exciting indication of things to come. Here are a few views of this little gem, taken along a trail here in our park yesterday afternoon:
The second to the right, that is a real neat shot with reagard to subject, composition, and good use of DOF. Thanks. Ned
Eetu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2010, 6:12 AM   #7

Quote:
And back at home, the bird feeder was as busy as any winter day, but many more songs, as birds are beginning the courting and nesting rituals!
Third (last bird) looks the best, I like the others, but the angle of the last is spot on.
Old Mar 15, 2010, 6:14 AM   #8

Quote:
Did not take many other photos on this hike - too much rain for my (non-weatherproof) camera, and dogs too frisky to stop. But did notice some fascinating fungus - it's a form of cup fungus...
Very well composed, lovely colour... must be nice to have Spring back
Old Mar 15, 2010, 9:03 PM   #9

So, spring can't be far behind for us up north! Right? At least all the rain the past few days was not snow.

The cup fungus is quite interesting. Never seen anything like that before. I like the second of the flowers and the first bird. A bluejay? Or, is this a blue bird? I never know the difference.

Patty
nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2010, 10:13 PM   #10
Super Moderator

i like the 2nd flower shot, the dark background and narrow dof keeps the focus on the tiny flowers

of the bird shots i prefer the 2nd one. classic pose and i prefer the angle of this shot.

i also like the salamander shot, he really did well in camouflaging himself didnt he?

i am really excited for spring as well. its not only a rebirth for our seasons, but also for my career too. i finished up my PhD last week and will be moving to Cleveland for my next position in about a month. Excited for the career move, as well as a change in geography, and finally some extra time to shoot. this dissertation has kept me pretty dormant this winter.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote