Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Mar 16, 2010, 3:12 PM   #1

Default Flooding

This little bit of photo journalism shows the effect of a 3 day Nor'easter that dumped 8"-10" of rain on the area.

The Spicket and Shawsheen Rivers in our area both flooded and disrupted many lives. Several small dams have been breached and coastal communities have seen the ravages of astronomical high tides that have pounded the shore and in some areas housing has been lost to the raging sea.

Yesterday: 9:30AM This building is a business. I was told that new wall to wall carpets had recently been installed.

Today: 9:00AM

Yesterday: Spicket River - Methuen,MA

Today: Shawsheen River Andover, MA. The building on left is a senior housing complex. Everyone was evacuated to a shelter.

I was unable to get out to the coast today but have included a shot taken the day after our last Nor'easter on February 26th. The surf last night was likely stronger but this will give you a general idea of what it looks like.

Lou
Keltech is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 16, 2010, 5:30 PM   #2

Wow! You got hit harder than Pennsylvania did, though they had some flooding and power outages in some areas also. Wow - the weather sure is playing havoc back there.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2010, 5:51 PM   #3

Good photos of bad business. Not the kind of photo ops you wish for. The winter's El Niņo generated storms have given everyone a little corner of Hell this year - I think parts of Europe may have had it even worse than our East and Midwest. The rains have been bad enough, but wait til all the snow melts. We have gone from morning temps in the 40's (F) a day or two ago to a high in the 90's today, and it is still four days to Spring!
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2010, 6:56 PM   #4

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

That's some serious flooding Lou! And captured very well. Image #2 is very compelling! Hope you and your family are safe!
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2010, 8:50 PM   #5

Amazing Lou -- We've had quite a bit of rain, but nothing causing any serious problems. And I'm only about 150 miles from the Boston area! I hope your local communities recover quickly.
mtnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2010, 9:31 PM   #6

Harriet - There was on old saying back here if you don't like the weather in New England wait 5 minutes. This storm raged for 36 hours putting that saying to rest. The rain was horizontal a lot of the time.

Penolta - The fortunate thing about this storm is that it came after the snow pack had melted. If we had snow melt on top of this it would have been unthinkable. The large rivers can handle this kind of rain just fine but the small rivers and streams are the ones that give us the trouble.

The weather this year is typical for an El Nino year. We typically get a severe winter when we have La Nina.

Jelpe - Thanks for your concern, we are all safe and sound. Fortunately we live on high ground about a mile away from where the Shawsheen River flooded.

Mtnman - This was a storm that stalled off the coast due to a high pressure area in Canada. Water was being picked up over the Atlantic and thrown back at us.

One place in town, a condo complex for seniors, had been hit by a similar storm in May of 2006. The people could not get back into their homes until Jan 2007. They were hit again by this storm and the flooding was worse this time.

Lou
Old Mar 16, 2010, 9:34 PM   #7

Nice shots, Lou. I hadn't been down that far yet, but it looks a lot like up my way. I took advantage of being away from work this morning for an appointment and kept stopping in my travels to get shots of things. I'll try to post some later.

You can't even get near the dam in my town. Road closed on one side and the other side the road is so covered with water you can't see it. I imagine it looks a lot like your shots of the Spicket.

What coastline is that? Across from Plum Island?

Patty
nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2010, 9:52 PM   #8

Patty thanks, the picture of the coast was from PRNWR parking lot #1 overlook. You would be looking at, I think Ipswich and perhaps as far as Halibut Point and Rockport on the Cape Anne Peninsular.

If you are going to MVCC tomorrow night leave some extra time. Stay away from Rt.114 in N. Andover as it is flooded as you get off Rt.495 by Friendly's.

Lou
Old Mar 19, 2010, 5:33 AM   #9

Lou - so glad to hear you are safe - that is some serious flooding! Glad to see your great photos, and glad to be far from it....
mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2010, 9:42 PM   #10

Mole, thanks!

Lou