Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Mar 16, 2010, 7:41 PM   #1

Default Pennsylvania

We had one free day so thought we'd go over to the Delaware Water Gap National Recreation Area. I read that there were a couple of pull-outs just south of the interstate to see where the Delaware River goes through a narrow canyon. There were several of waterfalls and streams emptying into the river:

There's a problem with the pictures, especially the first one. You see, that's not exactly a stream bed:

It's actually the walk-way to the overlook. My feet got wet.

Right after I took this last picture (it, and the one above it will give you an idea of just how hard the rain was) there was a flash of lightning, and it didn't look like it was going to quit any time soon. So instead of enjoying the outdoors and taking landscape pictures, we turned around and went to a shopping mall, spending an hour or two window-shopping before giving up and heading back to where we were staying. Not exactly a great day for sight-seeing.

I guess Pennsylvania wanted to greet these visitors from the west with true Eastern weather - it rained the whole time we were there.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 16, 2010, 7:55 PM   #2

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

Sorry to hear about the dissapointing day in Pennsylvania. I've driven past that area many times on I-80. It is pretty country the further west you go as you run into the Poconos (popular for skiing). Spring, Summer & Fall are much nicer times to visit. BTW, you are a long way from home, aren't you??
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2010, 9:10 PM   #3

It was several disappointing days in Pennsylvania - it rained the whole time we were there (family obligations). I'll do a separate thread with some pictures I took our morning in Philadelphia.

Home now, and enjoying the sunshine. This weekend I think I'll do my first annual search for wildflowers - hopefully it will remain dry (or at least dryer than it was in Pennsylvania this past weekend).
Old Mar 16, 2010, 9:33 PM   #4

Sorry to you had so much rain at the Water Gap. In the summer time, it is very scenic and great to bring a bike with you to take advantage of all the trails. I use to go fossil hunting there when I was in college.
Old Mar 16, 2010, 10:02 PM   #5

Glad you're home safely, and I truly am sorry for the awful weather you had during your short visit. It won't make you feel any better, but last summer, for almost the entire summer, the northeastern US had rain, rain, and more rain. Many of us are very much hoping for a much warmer, drier summer this year. I hope your next trip east, whenever that happens, has much better conditions.
mtnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2010, 10:17 PM   #6

So sorry to hear of the weather you had when you were out here. Mtnman's right. We had so much rain last summer it was getting ridiculous. It's a shame you didn't get to see the Upper Delaware. Summer before last my husband and I took the long way home from NJ so he could check it out. You really should plan another trip out. It was beautiful.

By the way, what is your first photograph? Is it the walkway up to the "creek"?

Patty
nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2010, 6:48 AM   #7

We get heavy rain and it floods, you get heavy rain and have mud slides. We have Hurricanes, you have earthquakes. We have blizzards in winter, you have Santa Anna winds in fall. It's tough to beat Mother Nature!

Lou
Keltech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2010, 8:29 AM   #8

Lovely pictures!

you're a k10 k20 or k7 owner? Do you use a rain bag for your camera, or do you trust the weatherproofing of the camera/lenses?

I am still afraid to take mine around water untill I figure this out.
NMRecording is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2010, 9:12 AM   #9

See... I told you to come to Winter Haven!
I wont mention the pretty blue skies and pleasant low 70's we had, that would be cruel.

Seriously, I am sorry your trip was a bummer but, looks like you made the best of it regardless. Nice pix. #2 & 4 really make an impression.

Life's a breeze on a Goldwing...
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2010, 10:35 AM   #10

Lou - you are right, it's just a different hazard. We get the occasional blizzard and can't get home. In some ways I think I would have rather seen snow, but not really since we did have family obligations that had us driving all over the eastern part of the state.

NMRecording - I have the K100 (not on this trip), K20 and K7. The pictures above were taken with the K7 and the DA*50-135, a weather sealed lens. I don't use a rain bag (though if I had been out much in that downpour I would have wanted one), trusting to the weather seals for the little I did in the rain. The camera and lens did get soaked during my short time outside, but it dried off without incident. We've hiked in Washington in gentle rain with both the K20 and K7 and weather sealed lenses, without bags and with the cameras exposed without problem. I did make sure I carefully protected the camera when I switched to the unsealed 12-24 for a couple of shots of a waterfall, before carefully switching back to the weather sealed lens. I sure wouldn't have done that under the conditions Sunday!

I'll have you know that the high today in L.A. is supposed to be in the 70's and 80's - I'm hoping we don't have a big heat wave before the wildflowers bloom.