Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Mar 17, 2010, 9:48 AM   #11

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

Very nice set! I especially like the lighting (interior) in #3 and the details in #5. It sounds like you made good use of the inclement weather. One benefit of weather like this is the absence of hard shadows outside. In #5 and #6, the diffused lighting makes for a great image.

Re. the crowds, there seems to be a resurgence of interest in things historical. My recent visits to Washington DC have always been in the midst of a high number of other visitors--good from the stand point of interest, but may be not from the stand point of crowds (just a personal issue for me)!
Wingman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2010, 10:50 AM   #12

My fault for the mix-up, I typed Liberty Hall instead of Independence Hall in my first post. I'm really tired, didn't sleep all that much the night before so wasn't thinking straight. They drafted both the Constitution and the Declaration of Indendence in the room pictured in #3. It's not used any more, it's set up just as it was during the American Revolution. The second picture was taken across the hall from the Assembly room.

Les - I used the 12-24 for these. I had the 10-17 with me but ended up not using it at all.

I really wanted a picture of Independence Hall and the Liberty Bell without people, but couldn't manage it. I wanted to take a bracketed series for an HDR version, but since it was so dark and grey outside, I really didn't need it.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2010, 12:53 PM   #13

Mtngal,

Yes it has been a long gray winter in the north east, it has been gray and rainy or snowing this whole winter. I had the same lighting issue when I was down there 3 weeks ago with the gray skies.

We all get tired and type the wrong thing. I do it all the time,smiles.

Last edited by shoturtle; Mar 18, 2010 at 9:59 AM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2010, 6:26 AM   #14

I really like the second shot, of the group at the presentation. It gives a sense of the history and importance of the place.
FA 35mm f2, FA 50 f1.4, FA 28-70mm f4, FA 28-80mm f3.5-5.6, FA 80-320mm f4.5-5.6, F 50mm f1.7, Tamron SP 70-200mm f2.8 Di, DA 10-17 f3.5-4.5, DA 14 f2.8, DA 16-45mm f4, DA 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 WR, DA 50-200mm f4-5.6 WR, AF-540FGZ

Olympus E-P2, E-P5, OM-D E-M1: 9mm to 150mm lenses

Old Mar 18, 2010, 11:54 PM   #15

Thanks, Ira. While I'm not much of a crowd person, it's always nice to take some atmosphere pictures once in a while.

One of the things I found interesting is that the hall was designed by Alexander Hamilton, who wasn't an architect. Now days it would never have been built, not without a licensed architect stamping the plans - it wouldn't make it through plan-check and the county building department.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2010, 6:37 AM   #16

Great photos despite the limitations of time, weather and crowds. I too enjoyed the mood of the crowd shot, all are very well done.
mole is offline   Reply With Quote