Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Mar 18, 2010, 8:56 AM   #1

Default Tamron 70-300mm vs. Pentax 80-320mm

Much to what will be my wife's chagrin (she doesn't know yet !) I went to my favourite camera mall here in Shanghai and bought myself a couple of lenses today (and a reversing ring for my 43 ltd), one new (Sigma 10-20) and one used (Tamron 70-300 macro). Since I paid very little for the Tammy I thought it would be good to compare it to my current long zoom (Pentax 80-320).

I didn't expect a huge difference but when I got home I saw reports on the web on the Tammy were very positive so I took a few sample photos today to compare the two - I was shocked at the difference between the two. I set the Tammy at 300mm and the Pentax at 280mm (I guessed wrong) as this was where they may get softer. This should however have helped the Pentax. BTW I took a few photos of identical subjects to try to negate any difference caused by hand shake. I used the window sill as a prop with both lenses. What do your think (Tamron on the left and Pentax on the right) ?
Attached Images

Frogfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 18, 2010, 9:02 AM   #2

Woe, what good example... Frogfish... Love the info your camera provides... and good job on putting two pictures together like this... I wish there was more such examples!
Eetu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2010, 9:07 AM   #3

Thank you Eetu (BTW - I will comment on your good work with the Panda photo !).

Actually this is all the work of the free photo viewer I use : It's called Faststone Image Viewer and it's brilliant for comparing photos side by side. It's a Windows program but runs very well under Crossover (i.e. without Fusion or Parallels) on the Mac.
Frogfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2010, 9:13 AM   #4

Thanks Frogfish. You are very kind. I am so jok'n new to digital, so since my son and I really adore pandas, I wanted to take a shot at messing around with the original photo and try my hand at post-processing... I have a long ways to go. Thanks again for providing the photos above. P L E A S E provide more examples (comparisons) as you have above... the data and the side-by-side photos speak volumes! You and Bigdawg have caused a real paradigm shift in how I look at lenses other just Pentax ONLY. Thanks.
Old Mar 18, 2010, 9:27 AM   #5

The Tamron 70-300mm is definitely a pretty good lens for the price you pay for it. I got mine used from a forum member on a different forum and I really like it. But I do notice that it's a little soft at 300mm. I can say though that I've had issue with FF/BF with 3rd party lenses on my K20D and I've tried many times to adjust for it. My Sigma 24-135mm is the same. Was always sharp with my old *istDL but I had to tweak for FF/BF to get the same results with the K20D. But that being said, I recently bought a Pentax DA 55-300mm lens and so far I can say that it's definitely better than the Tamron at 300mm. I also paid 4x more for the Pentax. But I think I need to do something similar to what was done here and compare the two lenses at 300mm. Nice job with the comparison though.
MadMikeSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2010, 9:29 AM   #6

I'm not that surprised. I owned a Tamron 70-300 LD macro once and it was very good. Just sounded like a coffee grinder with bad bearings when Auto focusing. LOL But the photos were very good.
Old Mar 18, 2010, 9:29 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMikeSS View Post
But I think I need to do something similar to what was done here and compare the two lenses at 300mm. Nice job with the comparison though.
Please do! Really, it the thing to do in my books. We can talk a lot about lenses and all, but seeing info from the camera and a nice side-by-side comparison will always go a long ways. Thanks!
Old Mar 18, 2010, 10:00 AM   #8

Excellent comparison. I have a Pentax 55-300 and I have to say I've very impressed with it's sharpness...all the way to 300 mm. It would be interesting to see how the 55-300 compares.
lesmore49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2010, 10:06 AM   #9

Well, here's my quick and dirty with the Tamron 70-300 vs the Pentax 55-300 @ 300mm.

Info beforehand:
K20D
All shot at F8
These are all cropped heavily to peep in close at the spot where I was focusing in on.
EXIF info is included for those who can view it.
Both sets of photos were shot from a tripod with SR turned off.

First couple, look pretty much identical, can't really tell any difference in quality at all here. They both seem to focus the same here.

Tamron 70-300mm @ 300mm F8

Pentax 55-300mm @ 300mm F8

Here's is where you can see the difference the most:

Tamron 70-300mm @ 300mm F8

Pentax 55-300mm @ 300mm F8

In the 2nd set you can definitely see the difference in sharpness at 300mm between the two lenses. Of course, this is nearly pixel peeping so you know... But it at least is a side by side comparison.
MadMikeSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2010, 10:09 AM   #10

On my screen, the Pentax is definitely sharper... thanks for the comparison!