Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Mar 20, 2010, 1:09 AM   #1

Default Even More Reflections

I just love this month's challenge topic. I know, I still haven't posted anything in the thread yet, but I will. I keep hoping I'll take that knock-out picture, but haven't yet.

These are a couple from my lunch-time walks over the last 2 days. I've been having shoulder problems, so yesterday I went out with just the DA 10-17 on the camera and no camera bag. Of course, I kept seeing shots that needed a longer lens. Today I went out with just the FA 77 on the camera, went to a different location, and all I saw were shots that would take a wider lens. I can't win, I guess.

In any case, none of these are great photographs. I probably shouldn't bother posting them, but I just had such a good time spotting them, and thought that they were actually quite good fun. A couple you have to look closely at to see the possible humor or contradiction I was thinking about/saw when I took them. The rest were just sort-of interesting.

Today's pictures with the 77:

A bit of humor (or at least I thought so, not entirely sure others will see it how I did):

Pictures from yesterday, taken with the DA 10-17 fisheye:

This one is somewhat sad, in a way:

All are window reflections found within a half mile or so of my office. If you think these miss their mark and aren't as fun as I think they are, please let me know.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 20, 2010, 1:38 AM   #2
Super Moderator

i really like the geometry and lines you have working on the first shot. definitely my favorite here.

the bench is nice and simple shot, but i think i would go with a little more contrast and a a bit darker.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2010, 9:20 AM   #3

Your comment about the second one is interesting - the first version I uploaded to zenfolio was darker and I thought it looked a bit too dark. I really need to re-think/re-do the lighting around my computer, I've noticed that it gets hard to judge such things in the evenings (or else my eyes start to fade). Thanks for the suggestion, I'll re-work it.
Old Mar 20, 2010, 9:32 AM   #4

Fascinating to see what catches the artist's eye - some great photos to "reflect" on! Before reading Dustin's comment, I was going to say that I liked the benches the best for their surface simplicity, yet layers of complexity...
mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2010, 9:47 AM   #5

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

Love the ones with the FE lens...#6 in particular is a stand out!
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2010, 11:04 AM   #6

Inspiration to me to get out today and do something since I love this topic. We actually have sun and 60's today.

I like the simplicity of the bench, but on my monitor it looks a little light, too. Although, I do need to calibrate again. I love the fisheyes, too. Can't decide which best.

Again inspiration to get me out today.

Patty
nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2010, 5:44 PM   #7

Harriet,
I like #1 a lot and #2 also. I was thinking maybe an old hat or something left behind by someone might add something to the story.

#3, made me chuckle when I saw it so maybe I got it, wavy water reflection in the van POOL !

#5 looks like a sever case of vignetting and decentering! I love it.

#7, if by sad, you're referring to the balloons floating away, I agree.
#8, I really like this one too, first time I've ever seen a street in s.ca that didn't have a tone of traffic!

Life's a breeze on a Goldwing...
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2010, 8:26 PM   #8

I like them all, but the last one (#8?) is my favorite. That one speaaks to me more than the others.
mtnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2010, 9:00 PM   #9
Super Moderator

i am not the biggest fan of fisheye shots, just my personal taste.

but i do like #6 and #8 for a fisheye shot.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2010, 10:48 PM   #10

I started to re-work the bench to add contrast and darken it some, but my other half grabbed me before I could finish and I didn't save it. And now I have a bunch of pictures of flowers and blooming Joshua Trees to play with also.

It was the 4th one I thought was funny - the car driving into the building above-ground. I guess I'd need to reverse the entrance signs to get it to work right. Also, no one commented about the gay balloons reflected in the empty storefront window - I guess there's too much going on to be effective.

#6 is an HDR shot. I thought it came out relatively well, the window is very reflective (think it was some film or coating to increase the energy efficiency, the building is actually a modular building).

I would have done the last one as an HDR but there was no way I could manage 5 frames (even with a single shutter press) without someone walking or driving through. You can see the shadow of a guy who appears in the later shots, he was behind me in this frame. I ended up using two frames, the far right window is from one of the darker ones.

GW - the street is only 1 block long so doesn't get a huge amount of auto traffic, but there's Rite Aid, Trader Joes and a number of restaurants in that block so there's tons of foot traffic. I had to be patient to catch what I did.