Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Mar 21, 2010, 5:59 AM   #1

Default Pentax K7 problem with Sigma 70-300 APO DG Macro

Hi guys, long time no see!

Was my 30th birthday on Friday so decided it was time to upgrade my old, trusty K10D to the K7.

Brilliant camera, only problem is, it doesn't recognise my Sigma 70-300 APO DG Macro lens. You know, the one I use the most...

Tried cleaning the contacts, tried fiddling with the menu's, it just doesn't work. No autofocus, no aperture control, it thinks it's a M lens, I have to type in the focal length when I turn it on, etc.

This lens worked fine on my K10D so no idea what the problem could be.

Anyone got any ideas? don't really want to send it to Sigma as they will charge me nearly as much as what the lens costs to repair it...

Thanks in advance.
Tachikoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 21, 2010, 6:10 AM   #2
Super Moderator

Very strange and sorry to say no idea, but I'm interested to see what the solution is.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2010, 9:12 AM   #3

I haven't heard of this problem with this lens. The fact that it works with the K10 does sound strange. Have you updated the K-7's firmware? I don't think it would make a difference but anything is worth a try. Also, is the mount tight? It sounds like the contacts are a bit off or something. Perhaps try rotating the lens very slightly one way or the other? Does the camera work right with other lenses (i.e., is the problem with the camera, should you return it)?

Wish I could offer more help.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2010, 11:42 AM   #4

I'm starting to think it's the camera, I just accidentally activated the power zoom function on my Pentax 28-105 and unlike on the K10D where it zooms, it just judders on the K-7.

I updated the firmware before I even used it as it had the old 1.0 firmware on it, so no idea if the firmware is at fault. Will try re-flashing it now, but logged a call with Pentax just in case. I don't want to take it back to the shop if I can help it, it's quite a drive and they are a small independent camera shop so don't have another K-7 in stock or could really afford the refund (I know they are struggling, was speaking to the manager)
Old Mar 21, 2010, 12:43 PM   #5

Well I have made things worse...

I tried re-flashing it and the download was corrupt so it gave me a "update file is corrupt" message. Turned it off, re-downloaded the firmware, re-flashed it and now it has "update file is corrupt" superimposed on all the menu's.

Good thing we aren't allowed to swear on here as I am really annoyed.
Old Mar 21, 2010, 4:41 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tachikoma View Post
Hi guys, long time no see!

Was my 30th birthday on Friday so decided it was time to upgrade my old, trusty K10D to the K7.

Brilliant camera, only problem is, it doesn't recognise my Sigma 70-300 APO DG Macro lens. You know, the one I use the most...

Tried cleaning the contacts, tried fiddling with the menu's, it just doesn't work. No autofocus, no aperture control, it thinks it's a M lens, I have to type in the focal length when I turn it on, etc.

This lens worked fine on my K10D so no idea what the problem could be.

Anyone got any ideas? don't really want to send it to Sigma as they will charge me nearly as much as what the lens costs to repair it...

Thanks in advance.
If it works on the K10D but not the K7 I'd think it was the Camera not the lens. Do any other lens do this?
Old Mar 21, 2010, 4:42 PM   #7

Oh..I almost forgot//...Happy birthday my friend.
Old Mar 21, 2010, 5:58 PM   #8

Thanks Bigdawg!

Well the Power Zoom on my Pentax 28-105 doesn't work properly either so I am thinking it might be the K-7, I will ring Pentax tomorrow and see what they say. Sadly I don't know anyone local with a K-7 for them to try the Sigma lens to see if it works on theirs.

The Sigma lens would very rarely not register on the K10D, but you usually just reseated it and it was fine, on the K-7 it just doesn't register at all. It might be the lens is actually faulty and the K10D was just more forgiving than the K-7.
Old Mar 21, 2010, 6:32 PM   #9

Well, Happy birthday and welcome back!
Sorry to hear of your problem. I had a similar proplem with my Sigma 70-200 APO DG Macro but, my problem was the HSM focus, it worked on my K20 but not on the K10. all I had to do was up date the firmware on the K10 and I was good to go.

Sounds like maybe you messed up on the up date regardless weather or not that was your problem or not. I'm not sure, from what you wrote in your post but, you have to follow the procedure exactly or you can really mess it up. You cant turn the camera off until the process is complete even if its corrupt it should give you the option to undo or back out properly before turning it off.
I think Pentax will cover repairs under the warranty but, the camera shop may not, its really not his fault, so it will be a matter of how he wants to handle it. If you have to send it back fore repairs it could take 3-6 weeks before you get it back. I don't mean to be the bearer of bad news (specially on you Birthday) but those are the options your looking at.
I wish you all the luck, and please keep us up to date on the solution!

Life's a breeze on a Goldwing...
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2010, 6:45 PM   #10

Thanks GoldWinger.

I updated it fine (twice now just in case it was a firmware problem, downloaded the Mac version then the PC version to make sure I was getting a new file each time) and followed it to the letter, waited about 5 minutes after "Complete" had appeared on the firmware update screen each time before resetting the camera.

I just fired it up again and the "Update file is corrupt" message has vanished, but the Power Zoon on the 28-105 and the 70-300 Sigma still do the same thing. Like I said above, will ring Pentax and see what they say. Not looking forward to going without the camera for 3-6 weeks, especially as the K-7 was supposed to inspire me to get back into photography (family life is a drain on your free time) but it's better than having a camera which I can't use my favourite (cheap) lens on.