Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Mar 21, 2010, 1:01 PM   #1

Default Great Pentax K7 Review

Great K7 review. Sounds as if the reviewer may buy a K7, he was that impressed. But I'm sure that is not a surprise for K7 owners.

I don't have a K7. My camera bodies are K10D and KM.

http://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&source...Oi_ZopVGuF1y2g
lesmore49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 21, 2010, 1:09 PM   #2

Thanks for the link, Les. As you know, I am camera shopping... read a post in a forum of one guy who own the K-7 and Canon F7... What I found as surprising is that he went on and on about how (in many ways) the Pentax K7. I have always owned a Pentax, but making this purchase (hopefully soon) has been really mind-boggling trying evaluate what is out on the market. Anyway, I will look at this link. Many thanks. Ned
Eetu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2010, 3:26 PM   #3

Ned....you're welcome. I always do a lot of research as you do, before I make a big purchase. I always feel it's always good to look at everything (reviews) out there...the good, the bad and the ugly reports...weigh the evidence, make an informed decision.

Les

Some of the best info I have found is asking people who already own and use a piece of equipment before I make the final decision.
lesmore49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2010, 3:35 PM   #4

Les, I read the entire article. Again thanks. Except for the ISO, (3200 and above), he really likes the K7. Speaking of ISO, some in this forum, under Canon, showed a couple of shots in the gym at 3200 ISO. That was a real jaw dropper. And if I understood the article correctly, something about a "newer" K7. Ugggg, it is not easy to just put a thousand euros down, and it seems more difficult which camera to choose from, Pentax K7 or Canon 550D or 7D. But thanks again for this good link, the writer is saying that the Pentax is the best camera for under a 1000 with all of its capabilities. Ned
Old Mar 21, 2010, 7:36 PM   #5

Sorry Ted, your are not going to tempt me, I's saving for the new med format coming to .a store near you soon!

Life's a breeze on a Goldwing...
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2010, 10:28 PM   #6

I fully agree that it's important to thoroughly research something before buying a camera (or any other product). But it's easy to over-analyze a situation, and become paralyzed because there are so many conflicting opinions. It's very important to decide which features are important, and which are not. If most of your shooting is done outside in bright sunlight, then it doesn't matter if your camera has poor image quality at ISO 3200, because you will almost never need to set your sensitivity that high. But if you do a lot of shooting in dimly-lit night clubs without flash, then high ISO performance is very important. The same can be said for autofocus speed, burst rate, dynamic range, etc.

I am not in the market for a new camera, so I don't know the strengths and weaknesses of the K7 or any of its close competitors. Several years ago when I was ready to make the jump to a DSLR, it was clear that Canon and Nikon had the edge in autofocus speed and burst rate. But I needed a camera that was rugged, and had shake reduction in the body, so I wouldn't have to buy a boatload of image stabilized lenses. Even thoght it didn't focus as fast, or have a fast a burst rate as entry-level models from Canikon, I chose the Pentax K100D and I was delighted with that camera. I have since upgraded to the K20, and even though there are some things that others cameras do better, it serves my purposes very nicely.

So, do your research, think about which features matter and which are less important, then make a decision. I'm sure that if you think about it carefully you will end up with a camera that will fill your needs very nicely.
mtnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2010, 3:22 AM   #7

Thanks mtnman, for your kind advice, indeed. By the way, it would be really interesting to know which is best, internal camera stabilization or lens stabilization... I lean toward camera. Thanks again.

Ned
Old Mar 22, 2010, 1:01 PM   #8

Hi Ned -- Unfortunately, that's not an easy question to answer. Back about 4 years ago when I was shopping for my first DSLR and I ultimately decided on the Pentax K100, you could find opinions all over the place, but the general consensus was that for long lenses, lens-based stabilization was slightly more effective, and for wide angle lenses, sensor-based stabilization worked slightly better. However, it wasn't hard to find web sites where people advocated the exact opposite of what i just said!

I know that stabilization technology has gotten a lot better in the last few years, and I haven't paid attention to the latest developments, so I don't know if what I said above is still true today. But one thing I know for certain is that sensor-based stabilizations is much less expensive. With lens based stabilization, each and every lens you buy has to be stabilized, or you have to live without stabilization. With sensor-based stabilization, you buy a camera body that has a stabilized sensor, then every lens you use is stabilized, unless you decide to turn it off (as you would when using a tripod).

Here's a photo I took hand-held with my K100D three years (?) ago, at a very slow shutter speed. I think it was around 1/20 second. We saw a baseball game in Denver on the 4th of July, and they had fireworks after the game. I thought the picture came out quite well, and that says a lot for the sensor-based stabilization Pentax has developed. I'm sure the stabilization in their newer cameras like the Kx and the K7, is even better.
Attached Images

mtnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2010, 2:41 PM   #9

Wow, 1/20 of a second, handheld... absolutely amazing! Really glad to see this photo. Thanks for your words and for taking the time to explain things. All the best. Ned
Old Mar 22, 2010, 3:53 PM   #10

Same sort of thing I found here, I took this photo handheld (well maybe kneeling down, can't remember, but didn't have a tripod) at 1/15, not sure if you will be able to see the image as it's hotlinked from my forum's gallery.

Tachikoma is offline   Reply With Quote