Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Mar 22, 2010, 2:52 PM   #1

Default Location... PartII

OK, I promised some more interesting photos. I spotted this Red Shoulder Hawk about 2 hundred yards away and had to look through the VF just to verify. walked to within 300ft and got this shot. As you can see, he was checking me out intently.

And this one at about 150ft before he decided he had enough of me and flew off.

And here's another first for me. these two tiny least yellow legs were so small one could easily missed them altogether. I believe these were juveniles because I've gotten photos before of adults that were much larger. These were about 3inches at most. They didn't seem to bothered by us and came within 8ft of us. really cute.

Of course the GHB's were all over the place doing there fishing, for some reason they seemed even larger than they normally do... this one let me get pretty close... full shot not cropped

I have more exciting photos coming to a screen near you soon!

Hmmm... these look darker than they did last night when I was getting them ready to post, is it just my monitor or do they need to be lightened up some?

Life's a breeze on a Goldwing...

Last edited by Goldwinger; Mar 22, 2010 at 2:57 PM.
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 22, 2010, 6:29 PM   #2

They don't look too dark on my monitor GW. The sky in the first two shots is almost an electric blue on my screen, but on my computer at least, the pics are definitely not too dark. These are some very nice pics of a really beautiful area. You're very fortunate to live nearby.
mtnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2010, 7:16 PM   #3

Nice series GW. I concur with Mtnman that the shots look good on my monitor as well.

Looks like you have found a great habitat to photograph. I'm looking forward to seeing more.

Lou
Keltech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2010, 9:10 PM   #4

Thanks Ted and Lou,
I feel very fortunate to live in this area of Florida. there are many opportunities for some good photography

I'll be posting more tomorrow...

Old Mar 22, 2010, 9:14 PM   #5

The first 2, the sky's blue looks a bit off. It may be making everything else look to dark. But I like the others, especially number 4.
Old Mar 22, 2010, 9:17 PM   #6

Nice, GW. Great captures.

I'm beginning to see birds flitting around here, but never sitting still for me to get.

Since you asked, these do look dark on my laptop screen. But, the 2 and 4th look fine.

Patty
nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2010, 12:00 PM   #7

Look great to me - and some wonderful diversity of wildlife! You've found a wonderful spot to enjoy and to showcase your "critter photography" talents!
mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2010, 12:11 PM   #8

GW, the two last photos, especially the last one, is flam'n awesome... I really, really love what you did with the water in the background... it could not be more perfect. My only suggestion is a little more room, just a tiny bit more around his feet. Really spot on photo!!! Again, just love the colour and DOF of the water. It compliments the bird. As for the second to the last photo, very nice as they all are, but these two generate ideas and draw my attention. Many thanks, indeed, for sharing them. Ned
Eetu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2010, 2:29 PM   #9

Thanks guys, for all the feed back.
Patty, that's the way it looks to me too. when I get the time I may just lighten them up some and see if that improves them any.

I didn't do any color adjustments on these with the exception of auto white balance in Camera raw. I did add a touch of noise reduction on some but, don't remember which ones.

Old Mar 23, 2010, 2:39 PM   #10

Ned, thank you so much. You got to be careful, you'll give me a big head! with the exception of the first two, I didn't crop them any so, I didn't have a choice to allow more room around the feet but, I agree it could have used some. It seems I find this with a lot of my shots, where I have more room at the top and less at the bottom than it appeared in the view finder. Perhaps my VF is off center? Guess I'll have to learn to compensate for it in the future.
I took several shots of this one, I'll have to look and see if any of them were better on the composition .