Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Mar 22, 2010, 11:03 PM   #1

Default Lenses for product photography?

I am very interested in doing product photography. I have an ez cube 30" on order with 3 lights. I am wondering if the pentax 18-55 mm kit lens will be acceptable foe close up photography of say a watch or jewelery, or will I need to buy a macro lens, which I probably can't afford right now. I have a k7, 18-55, and 55-300 mm da lenses. A macro will be a few months away.
tony3dd is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 23, 2010, 5:36 AM   #2

I honestly believe that you will need a macro lens, but there is nothing to stop you from using your 18-55 lens, or any lens within reason... It is good to experiement. However, a macro lens is necessary in my opinion

All the best.

Ned
Eetu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2010, 5:38 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony3dd View Post
I am very interested in doing product photography. I have an ez cube 30" on order with 3 lights. I am wondering if the pentax 18-55 mm kit lens will be acceptable foe close up photography of say a watch or jewelery, or will I need to buy a macro lens, which I probably can't afford right now. I have a k7, 18-55, and 55-300 mm da lenses. A macro will be a few months away.
Hi,
I find the kit lens does excellent close-ups in good light, and it's colour rendition is very good. Here's a shot I did a couple of weekends back of a mothers day carnation, one of a bunch my wife received from one of our daughters. ... Jack
Attached Images

jachol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2010, 5:48 AM   #4

Well done, Jack!!! Brilliant photo! Love the colours. Good example of how kit lenses are capable for doing such good work like this. Thanks. Ned
Eetu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2010, 8:48 AM   #5

Hi Ned,
Thanks for your comments. I did use the kit lens when I first got the K100D, then as I gathered other lenses it fell into disuse, and was largely neglected for almost 2 years, then I rediscovered it's virtues, and it has a regular place now in photoready bag, and does get used much more. This is the original Pentax 18/50 not the later model. It's not in the big league as lenses go, but it's not one to be sneezed at, it does need good light though to perform well. ... Jack
jachol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2010, 9:45 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jachol View Post
Hi,
I find the kit lens does excellent close-ups in good light, and it's colour rendition is very good. Here's a shot I did a couple of weekends back of a mothers day carnation, one of a bunch my wife received from one of our daughters. ... Jack
That's good news, because after buying the K7, ezcube light box with 3 lights, and 2 lenses I'm broke. Won't be buying a lens for sometime. I plan to do product photography, and realize I will eventually need a macro. Does anyone have any idea's on how I can find jobs for product photography? Jack thanks for the input. You should consider running pixel mapping on your camera as I see one stuck pixel in your photo.

Last edited by tony3dd; Mar 23, 2010 at 9:48 AM.
tony3dd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2010, 10:51 AM   #7

As far as macro and limited budget goes - look around for a Vivitar Series One 105mm macro. I have one, it's manual focus/auto exposure and it does a great job. They've gotten popular so have been getting more expensive than what they probably should be, but I've been very happy with mine.

If you want a cheap solution, Cosina made a 100mm macro lens that was sold under a number of different names. I had the Phoenix version, bought it new for just over $100 several years ago. It was light-weight plastic so build quality was a bit suspect, but the optics were excellent. If you buy one used, make sure you get the matched adaptor that it was sold with (or a huge discount) - the lens by itself will do 1:2, putting on the adaptor it will do 1:1.

Since you are able to get closer to your subjects, you could also look at a shorter focal length - perhaps the DA 35mm Ltd? Not cheap, but might be a better thought. I'm actually thinking about this lens even though I don't need the macro capability.

If I didn't have a macro lens I'm happy with I'd probably be thinking about the new Pentax 100 mm WR lens. While you wouldn't need the WR for product photography (something I sure would like), the lens has round aperture blades, so the OOF areas are round instead of multi-sided. If price were no object, I'd probably want the Carl Zeiss macro lens.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2010, 1:21 PM   #8

Another relatively inexpensive option is the Raynox 150 close-up lens. This plus your kit lens should do some fine macro work. Not as good as a "real" macro lens, but very nice results...
mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2010, 2:42 PM   #9

I tried this once and found the kit lens was fine for my purpose. Here's a (photoshopped to get rid of the background as my lighting wasn't great) image I did with the kit lens:

If anyone is wondering, this is a Tachikoma, where I get my username from.

It's a toy about 3-4 inches tall (at the tallest part)
Tachikoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2010, 3:11 PM   #10

Tony,
Another good lens to look out for is the Tamron SP90mm I have an older Adaptall manual focus/auto exposure that I picked up for a hundred bucks on ebay. Later I got the PK/A adapter for it that allows for the auto exp to work. I'm real pleased with the results of this lens.

Life's a breeze on a Goldwing...
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote