Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Mar 24, 2010, 7:50 PM   #11

Bon voyage to both of you-

Have a great time and we will be on the look-out for the picture to fill us arm chair travelers in on all the details.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2010, 9:25 PM   #12

I envy both of your trips. I can't claim any expertise on packing for vacations, but I've gone to Hawaii the past two summers with very different gear philosophies. The first year, I took everything I could pack into my bag, making very careful to assure that all ranges were covered. That was the year I had a bag full of lenses stolen. Last year, I took only three lenses: a wide zoom (Sigma 18-50mm f/2.8), a longer zoom (Tamron 70-300mm Di LD), and a low-light lens (Pentax FA 50 f/1.4). I also took a 1.4 TC, but never used it.

I got far better photos last summer with the smaller kit and didn't find myself in any situation I couldn't handle with the lenses on hand. I found myself focusing much more on my subjects and not so much on the gear. Plus, I exposed myself much less to a repeat of the previous summer's loss.

This summer, I may take a little more than last, but I will definitely veer more to the latter than the former.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Paul
Trojansoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2010, 9:40 PM   #13

Have a great trip, looking forward to seeing some photos later on. And yes for NZ a sigma 10-20mm is a must. The landscape is breath taking. Where are you flying to Auckland or Wellington?
Old Mar 24, 2010, 10:11 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
Have a great trip, looking forward to seeing some photos later on. And yes for NZ a sigma 10-20mm is a must. The landscape is breath taking. Where are you flying to Auckland or Wellington?
Thanks, our NZ itinerary is to fly to Auckland then to Rotorua, Wellington, Queenstown and finally Christchurch. Your comment about the landscape is what I have heard from everyone who has visited NZ. I can't wait to see it for myself.

Our flight home will be brutal. We fly from Christchurch to Auckland have a 1 1/2 hour layover then Auckland to LA with a 3 hour layover and then on to Boston.

Lou
Keltech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2010, 10:18 PM   #15

That hurts you will be flying and in airports for 24+ hours. But it is worth it imho. I actually preferred it over Australia for photography. Way more dramatic landscape.
Old Mar 24, 2010, 10:29 PM   #16

If you want another trip closer to home with great landscape, you may want to visit Iceland. About a 4.5 hour flight to Logan to Reykjavík, would make a great 4 day weekend trip. Fantastic landscape also.
Old Mar 25, 2010, 11:06 PM   #17

have a great trip
and am also looking forward to the photos
one thing i took on my second trip to the usa
was an old film camera that didnt turn on and off
so i could still take photos during take offs and landings
as now all electrical devices should be turned off at these times

Lou what part of Australia are you going?
Old Mar 26, 2010, 4:59 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumnut View Post

Lou what part of Australia are you going?
We are flying into Melbourne and will be there 3 days, one day recovering, the second touring the Great Ocean Road and another touring Melbourne. We then fly to Alice Springs and on to Airs Rock (Uluru) for 2 nights.

We then go to Port Douglas and visit the Great Barrier Reef the first day. Our second day we visit the rainforest and take the gondola to the mountain village of Kuranda.

We then fly to Sydney and spend 3 days there. We will visit the Blue Mt. National Park as well as many of the other sights in and around Sydney.

I would love to see Perth but our tour is all on the other side of the continent.

Lou
Keltech is offline   Reply With Quote