Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Mar 23, 2010, 12:49 AM   #1

Default Going to Japan!

I'm leaving for a 2-week trip to Japan this week! Being the lame tech nerd I am, I made a video showing what's going into my camera bag.

I hope I can post many videos and photos along the trip!

Vimeo: http://vimeo.com/10330926

- Jason

P.S: Any recommended sites to see? I'll be staying in Tokyo, Osaka, Kyoto, and Mt. Koya.
Illuminati is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 23, 2010, 1:18 AM   #2

looking forward to your pix and videos.
lesmore49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2010, 9:45 AM   #3

Jason, I'm getting ready to go to Australia and NZ in a couple of weeks. I am going through the same process as you right now trying to determine what to take and how best to pack.

I will take my K-7 and K-100D and for lenses a Tamron 18-250 + Sigma 10-20 and Tokina 80-400. I am still debating a fast Pentax A 50 1.7 for indoor available light shots. I will also take a Dell Latitude Notebook to download to and burn disks of my pictures and videos.

A carbon tripod and a ball head will pack in my luggage.

I will use an Audubon shoulder binocular strap for one camera and the other on my hand using a Camdapter strap. All the gear will pack in my Lowepro CompuTrecker AW. A second backpack Lowepro (MicroTrecker 200) will pack empty and be used with the lenses I take with me each day.

My wife will use a Sony Handycam to take video.

Have a great trip and come back with some wonderful pictures for us.

Lou
Keltech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2010, 1:12 PM   #4

Jason & Lou - Have great & safe trips - looking forward to seeing all the fine photographic results of both your trips!
mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2010, 2:22 PM   #5

You will be spoiled for choice with regards for what to see to be honest mate, I was there for 8 days and barely saw 1/4 of what I wanted (nice excuse to go back lol)

I will be honest and say I was disappointed with Kyoto though, even though it is strikingly beautiful, there's not much variety. We went on a 3-4 hour tour of all the temples and sites of interest and they kind of merged into one after a while. It's also pretty spread out so read up on places before you go. One place I am gutted I didn't see is the Fushimi Inari Shrine:

http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e3915.html

Tokyo is incredible though, you literally turn a corner and it changes from massive buildings to tiny little shrines, old style houses, etc. It's stunning at night as well, it's a bit cliche'd but all the neon and people swarming around is incredible. I literally couldn't sleep at night knowing what was out there waiting to be discovered.

My best advice is to just get an idea of what you want to see, then leave it in the hotel room and go wander, you will stumble upon some amazing things by not following the usual guides.
Tachikoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2010, 2:25 PM   #6

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

I hope you have an opportunity to visit and photograph Mt. Fuji and even try to hike it. Also, will you be there in time to see the Cherry Blossoms? Safe travels and hope you have an enjoyable visit!
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2010, 2:47 PM   #7

Well... all you world wide travelers are making me envious. The only places I've been besides the US, is Canada, Mexico and the Bahamas. In my next life I'm coming back as a wealthy world class Photographer and travel the world, shooting breath taking photos and sipping fine wine...and... doing whatever rich world class photographers do.

Jason and Lou, enjoy yourselves and have a safe journey.

Life's a breeze on a Goldwing...
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2010, 2:53 PM   #8

Both of you are going to places I'd love to visit, and I've never been to any of these spots.

GW - I've traveled a bit through Europe and a couple of weeks in Panama (didn't have enough time to see much and it was pre-camera days) courtesy of the US Army. One of the best things I ever did was join the military for a while.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2010, 4:54 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by jelpee View Post
I hope you have an opportunity to visit and photograph Mt. Fuji and even try to hike it. Also, will you be there in time to see the Cherry Blossoms? Safe travels and hope you have an enjoyable visit!
I timed my visit to hopefully get the cherry blossoms just as they're in full bloom. Though the weather is looking a bit rainy during the week I'm in Tokyo. That's why the K-7 is going with me! ^_^

- Jason
Illuminati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2010, 4:51 AM   #10

I currently live in Yokohama (part of the greater Tokyo area).

Some of the more interesting places to take photos of people include Harajuku on a Sunday (on the railway bridge, where the Harajuku girls hang out), and in Takashita street. Not far from the railway bridge there is Yoyogi park (about 200m away, where the Rockabilly dancing people hang out).
Then go to the Meiji Shrine (not far away) where on a Sunday you're likely to see a traditional Japanese wedding party, in traditional clothes.
Then there's Shibuya (where they have the world's busiest pedestrian crossing, and all of the young women with their short shorts and tights, even in winter). And Shinjuku, on the northeast side, where you'll see some of the more edgy, punk dressed people.
Akihabara (Electric Town) has all of the "French Maid Lolita" girls handing out fliers for their Maid Cafes.

For scenics, go to the northern end of the Imperial Palace grounds near Kudanshita Subway station (western end). You'll get great views of the huge moats and lots of Cherry blossoms. You can then take a walk south through the gardens, although they are a bit bare at this time of year.
Go to Shinjuku, on the east side to the Government buildings, as they have lookouts (free) on the 45th floor, where you can see Mt Fuji on a clear day, along with great vistas of Tokyo.
There are various gardens around Tokyo.

There is an area southwest of JR Nippori Station, that was one of the only areas in Tokyo that didn't suffer bombing in WW2. This area is Yanaka, and the area to the west of the cemetery has a high concentration old buildings and about a dozen old temples.

Let me know if you need other info!!!!!
dnas is offline   Reply With Quote