Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Mar 23, 2010, 1:45 AM   #1

Default Candle

I'm trying this out. Anyway to improve a candle picture?
Attached Images

StyleXP90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 23, 2010, 9:33 AM   #2

I'm looking at it on my lousy monitor at work so there might be something I'm missing that I would see on a better monitor, but my first thought was, what's to improve? I might crop a bit of each side, but otherwise I really like the picture. I think I would try rotating it just a bit so the candle surface looks flat, but that might make the flame look off - you'd have to see which one looks better (or perhaps you did and decided this one looked the best). The things I really like about this one are the appropriate dof you used (small) and the fact there's no CA/fringing around the candle-light. Focus is right-on. I'd be completely happy with this shot.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2010, 9:46 AM   #3

I was playing with this photo before mtngal wrote her comments above, I was thinking along the same lines. Perhaps as an idea, the below picture is how I would crop it, you might have a better idea. This is just a different perspective. Anwyay, I certainly like your photo. Ned
Attached Images

Eetu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2010, 12:15 PM   #4

Nice and clear, great capture of the mood. Do agree with the crop - looks even better narrowed a bit.
mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2010, 12:31 PM   #5

I agree on the crop. It makes the photo format better aligned with the vertical nature of the candle flame.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2010, 2:45 PM   #6

Nice shot, Hector.
I agree also on Ned's edit.
I was going to mention the little bit of noise I see in the background but, looks like Ned's edit took care of that as well.

Life's a breeze on a Goldwing...
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2010, 6:50 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtngal View Post
I'm looking at it on my lousy monitor at work so there might be something I'm missing that I would see on a better monitor, but my first thought was, what's to improve? I might crop a bit of each side, but otherwise I really like the picture. I think I would try rotating it just a bit so the candle surface looks flat, but that might make the flame look off - you'd have to see which one looks better (or perhaps you did and decided this one looked the best). The things I really like about this one are the appropriate dof you used (small) and the fact there's no CA/fringing around the candle-light. Focus is right-on. I'd be completely happy with this shot.
I would like to thank you for your input! I did try many different shots and found this one was the best as far as being infocus and dof. I'm going to try another shot tonight.
Old Mar 23, 2010, 6:51 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eetu View Post
I was playing with this photo before mtngal wrote her comments above, I was thinking along the same lines. Perhaps as an idea, the below picture is how I would crop it, you might have a better idea. This is just a different perspective. Anwyay, I certainly like your photo. Ned

Ned,

Thank you for the crop!

Hector
Old Mar 23, 2010, 6:53 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldwinger View Post
Nice shot, Hector.
I agree also on Ned's edit.
I was going to mention the little bit of noise I see in the background but, looks like Ned's edit took care of that as well.
I've been trying to see if there is a good software that would take care of noise. I've read that on the new Adobe Lightroom 3 (Beta) has a pretty good noise remover, but that's from what I've read.

Thank you for your comments.

Hector
Old Mar 23, 2010, 7:11 PM   #10

Only thing I would have done is made it a bit tighter (than Ned's) and a lot taller overall (if you buy into the "rule of thirds" all the magazines and websites gibber about incessantly) but it's a great shot!

Last edited by Tachikoma; Mar 23, 2010 at 7:43 PM.
Tachikoma is offline   Reply With Quote