Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Mar 25, 2010, 3:32 PM   #11

One of the things you can do with shooting macro, to help your stability, is to get a pole of some sort (a trekking pole, broom, pipe section etc.). Get to whatever stooped/kneeling/sitting/standing position to take your picture, brace the pole against something (if you can) and hold it in your left hand, along with the camera. Use your right hand for the shutter. The pole gives you a third stability point and helps keep things much steadier than hand-holding alone. Focus by leaning in and out (as you've discovered). One of these days I'll buy some macro rails, I'd really like to use my tripod more, but I never quite get around to it.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2010, 4:00 PM   #12

Thanks for the tip !
I forgot to mention I was leaning on the window sill (weight all one shoulder).

I know what you mean about the tripod - I have bought a few of varying sizes but I actually use a monopod I bought recently much more - it's just far easier to use and actually collapse with the camera still attached untll I find my next subject.
Frogfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2010, 7:19 PM   #13

Welcome to the world of macro Frogfish.
I now you're going to have a blast!
You'll start looking at things a whole lot differently now!

Life's a breeze on a Goldwing...
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2010, 10:47 PM   #14

Very nice. Looks like you've got the hang of it. I really like that first image.

Patty
nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2010, 5:21 AM   #15

Kevin, very nice first macros. You seem to have gotten a handle on it quickly.

A dedicated macro will make the process easier but in the interim the extension tubes are a good inexpensive way to go. You also could try a close up lens like the Raynox 250.

Lou
Keltech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2010, 10:39 AM   #16

Thank you GW, Patty & Lou !

I think you are right GW ... as photographers I think we notice more of our surroundings than most people but now with macro to consider too it is going to be difficult to even put one foot in front of the other !

Lou - yes those Raynox (150 & 250) are definitely on the shopping list because not only can they be used separately but I believe they can be stacked and then get us to 2:1 & 3:1 etc.
Old Mar 26, 2010, 10:49 AM   #17

I won't bother with a new thread but as it didn't rain today I was able to go out ....... unfortunately the weather is still not quite consistently warm enough for the majority of insects to appear, but there were some ants waking up.

Originals with 1:1 crops. All taken with reversed 43mm ltd. I stuck a little piece of plastic bottle on the pop up flash to act a diffuser and lay on the ground using my monopod as mtngal had suggested I do with a mop handle !

I'm not sure what the ants were up to, there were very few but it looks like they were moving baby or dead ants ? I didn't see any movement from the smaller ants but the wind was quite strong and kept blowing them away !
Attached Images

Old Mar 26, 2010, 10:51 AM   #18

OK they are not super sharp but I do like the magnification I can get from reversing the 43 !
Old Mar 26, 2010, 12:24 PM   #19

Kevin, nice job on the ants! Hard to capture them when they are moving.

Here is another thought regarding macro. If you have an old 8mm projector or an old slide projector or even a film enlarger try using its lens held in front of your lens (I recommend having an old UV filter on the lens so you can rest it against the filter). Try it both forward and reversed, you may be pleasantly surprised. If it works it is then a matter of using your ingenuity and adapting it to a ring or old UV filter that will mount to your lens (Epoxy, Crazy Glue or whatever works).

I had two such lenses in my basement. One was a Anastigmat 4" f/3.5 from a Kodak Carousel slide projector and another was a Wollensak anastigmat f/3.0.

Here is a picture I took hand holding the Wollensak lens in front of my Vivitar Series 1 105mm lens. I have since purchased a filter ring that I will use to try and adapt it to that lens so all I have to do is screw it onto the filter thread. This is the same wristwatch you saw in my $25.00 light thread but it is now supper macro (this was taken with my regular manual flash bounced off the ceiling)

The screw you are looking at here I can bearly see with my naked eye. The threaded part that is moving the leaver is 3/100"ths of an inch long.

Lou

Last edited by Keltech; Mar 26, 2010 at 1:00 PM.
Keltech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2010, 12:47 PM   #20

Ooh that is brilliant Paul - and what a great idea ! Unfortunately I don't have anything like that around

Absolutely that is the magnification I am looking for.

Ants - yes those little bug#$&s never stop moving ! I couldn't chase them around so I tried to focus on one spot and then look out of the other eye for when they may cross the point I was focused on !