Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Mar 24, 2010, 1:34 PM   #1

Default First Macro Attempts

Whilst saving up for a dedicated macro lens (or should I say just leaving a decent passage of time between lens purchases so my wife doesn't suspect the cause of the leak in our bank account) I am trying out reversing lenses and plan to buy some extension tubes to try to get closer than 1-1.

It has been raining though and all my attempts to find a spider or two willing to pose for me were in vain .. or indeed find any other insect in fact !

So, armed with the the reversing ring and 43 1.9 Ltd and diving into my wife's trinket box these were the first efforts. Focusing distance is limited to ca. 4" from the subject and just looking at these I see errors in focus (obviously I should have used a smaller F stop) lighting and also positioning (I have 3 tripods but none of them could get down to 4" so all these were hand held). The cigarette shot (oh so politically incorrect I know ) was taken in the shop before I bought the reversing ring.

The trinket box is about 2.5" across and the button is a very small one - just a few mm wide.

I can see I am going to have fun with this branch of photography
Attached Images

Frogfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 24, 2010, 2:10 PM   #2

What fun pictures! Macro is a blast, but very frustrating.

Are you using the reversed lens in front of the camera or in front of another lens? I've never tried reversing a lens in front of the camera, only reversing a 50mm in front of my 105 macro lens (for more than 1:1). In the latter case, aperture doesn't make much difference on the reversed lens, and dof is really, really tiny. I don't know that it works the same if the lens is reversed in front of the camera. For stuff with the macro lens by itself, I usually use f16 - f20, and the dof is still really small.

Your 43 Limited is certainly a sharp enough lens to deal with all kinds of macro work-arounds (extension tubes, etc.). By the way, if you want a really cheap extension tube, find a lousy, cheap used TC and take the glass out - instant extension tube.

Another thing - you need as much light as you can possibly get when shooting macro. If you have an external flash, use it off-camera - it'll help with shutter speeds and hand-holding (which I do a fair amount of when shooting macro)
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2010, 2:29 PM   #3

Frogfish! Really nice work, I especially liked the first one! Really cool. Nice lense, good work on your part. Thanks. Ned
Eetu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2010, 2:33 PM   #4

I've reversed the 43mm straight onto the K7. Very easy to do and as it's all manual of course I just moved the camera back and forth to try to find focus. I found the biggest problem was lack of light once I tried to get past F11 (I was trying to use ambient light and it was a pretty overcast day). These were all taken at 5.6 to 8 (which of course explains the lack of DOF) !

I am still trying to work out flash photography - I bought a cheap Chinese zoom with 330 rotation and bounce, that seemed to work great the first time I used it, but today the K7 turned all snobby and refused to recognise it was attached (it still fired but the K7 settings were all as if no flash was attached e.g 1/3" instead of 1/60). So I didn't use it.

I think I will be back to the 4th floor of the best camera mall I have found here in Shanghai very soon (the 4th floor is all 2nd hand gear)
Old Mar 24, 2010, 2:35 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eetu View Post
Frogfish! Really nice work, I especially liked the first one! Really cool. Nice lense, good work on your part. Thanks. Ned
Thanks Ned !

I am sure I'm going to love macro, and tele, and HDR, and stacking and .......

Kevin
Old Mar 24, 2010, 7:44 PM   #6

Well done and very creative, Kevin

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2010, 11:28 PM   #7

Thank you Sarah !
Old Mar 25, 2010, 3:43 AM   #8

Great pics, love the first one, the detail is excellent!
Tachikoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2010, 5:54 AM   #9

Excellent detail & color, and very steady hand!
mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2010, 1:00 PM   #10

Thanks Tachi & Mole !

I found that if I leaned to one side and put all my weight on that one shoulder I had a far more stable base to shoot with the other hand. Seems to have worked so far but I'm now looking at macro rails and the like to get the shots super sharp !