Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Mar 24, 2010, 10:03 PM   #1

Default First Summer-type Birds & Some Left-over Winter Visitors

Birds in my yard are in a state of transition. A few species...Chickadees, Cardinals, Red-Bellied Woodpeckers, and, of course, Tufted Titmice, are year-round visitors

However, I'm going to be saying goodbye in the next few days to many of my winter stand-by's, including both White-throated and field Sparrows...

The American Goldfinches will be leaving just as their summer plumage begins to come in. These guys were aggressively trying to stuff themselves with black-oil sunflower seeds for the trip north.

By the way, the high road proved successful as he made an end run to the other end of the feeder.

The first summer birds are beginning to show up. Yesterday, I saw my first pair of house finches of the season

Today marked the arrival of the year's first Brown-Headed Cowbird.

I don't really consider this guy a visitor to my yard, although I think he was suckered in by my lack of movement. I don't normally consider these attractive birds, but I did like the effect on the wings.

Final shot has nothing to do with the birds, just one I clicked off handheld of a late afternoon moon. I always have trouble getting good detail on the moon, while still preserving the blue of the sky. I went to a +1.3 EV for this one and was rather pleased with the result.

Unfortunately, rain is starting tonight and is expected to continue through tomorrow.

All shots taken with the K-7 and the Bigma.

Paul

P.S.I have re-run noise reduction and re-posted on the goldfinches after noise levels were initially unacceptable.

Last edited by Trojansoc; Mar 25, 2010 at 7:52 AM.
Trojansoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 25, 2010, 5:52 AM   #2

Great assortment of species, and great photos of all the "feeder action" as well. So your field sparrows and goldfinches leave you? We have them year round! But our WT Sparrows also leave us...

With the goldfinch photos, you might try using noiseware only on the background, to preserve bird detail. I have the "pro" version of noiseware that makes this easier - would be glad to try it on yours if you'd like to see the results.

Again, some really nice work on all of these - showing your skills and the birds' personalities too!
mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2010, 6:46 AM   #3

Paul, you've got some nice bird shots there, my favourite is the first one... and love the moon shot, too. I noticed you shot with an K7. I just read a review and put the link for others to read about the K7 according to TrustedReviews! They rated it the best for 2009. I just can't wait till I get mine... Thanks for sharing these photos! Ned
Eetu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2010, 8:01 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mole View Post
Great assortment of species, and great photos of all the "feeder action" as well. So your field sparrows and goldfinches leave you? We have them year round! But our WT Sparrows also leave us...

With the goldfinch photos, you might try using noiseware only on the background, to preserve bird detail. I have the "pro" version of noiseware that makes this easier - would be glad to try it on yours if you'd like to see the results.

Again, some really nice work on all of these - showing your skills and the birds' personalities too!
In summer our primary sparrows are chipping sparrows and song sparrows, although I have certainly seen others in our yard, including the occasional field sparrow who has stuck around. Similarly, we occasionally get a song sparrow in winter, but field and WT are the most common. Leaving with the white-throated will be the dark-eyed juncos.

We lose the gold finches, but they are replaced by the house finches.

I re-processed the finch photos, trying out the on-board noise reduction in CS4 for the first time. I set up a "layer sandwich," adjusted for noise and applied a Gaussian blur in the middle layer, then a layer mask on top to allow the adjustments to come through. Right now, I only have the stand-alone version of Noiseware, instead of the plug-in, and it's far harder to do with it. However, I was pleased with the results of the CS4 built-in. Thanks for the offer, though.

Paul
Trojansoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2010, 7:19 PM   #5

Paul, I really like the chickadee!
The moon shot has great detail, especially for hand held.

Life's a breeze on a Goldwing...
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2010, 8:44 PM   #6

I love the pose and clear eyes on the third sparrow. They are all nicely done!

Lou
Keltech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2010, 9:22 PM   #7

Wow! A lot of activity around there, huh. So, I guess they'll be heading up my way. I've seen a few birds flying around this week, but no way I could identify any of them. Except the robins today. The others are flitting around so quickly I can't focus my eyes on them, let alone my lens.

Patty
nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2010, 9:48 PM   #8

Paul, very nice pictures. Reminds me of what we can look forward to in just a few weeks. Please feed your remaining winter visitors well. It's been a long and somewhat dreary winter up here, and we are all loking forward to the return of our summer bird population. All of us up here in "snow country" would be much obliged if you would give them plenty of protein, so they'll be ready for the trip up north.
mtnman is offline   Reply With Quote