Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Mar 25, 2010, 11:08 AM   #1

Default Robin posing for my test shot

I recently upgraded my picasa storage and got a 4gb Eye-Fi card as part of the promo. Came rather quickly in the mail I must say, so I had to try it out to see if it even worked with the K20D, as I know there are issues with the Pentax DSLRs and these cards, which is why they are listed as not compatible by Eye-Fi. However, that didn't stop me trying. Took a few shots around the house and outside and so far it's working perfectly fine. I take a shot and it immediately sends the photo to my netbook. So I decided to upgrade my service and add geotagging, added my wireless AP to the skyhook database and fired off a couple more shots. That is working beautifully as well, the card stores any AP mac that it picks up in the area and when the photo is uploaded the software reaches out to the skyhook system and then if the AP is registered with them retrieves the lat/long of the AP and adds it to the EXIF. It's pretty neat so far... Anyway, shot this robin sitting on my chimney with the 55-300mm at 300mm just for the heck of it. The weather is kinda garbage today so I didn't stay outside very long.

MadMikeSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 25, 2010, 8:00 PM   #2

Great job Mike! cool shot.

Life's a breeze on a Goldwing...
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2010, 10:28 PM   #3

Fascinating how they work. Glad to hear you aren't having any trouble, I've heard some of the same problems you have with the cards.

I've done some geotagging using my Garmin GPS using a computer program to match the track to the capture time of the pictures. It's fun but takes far more thought than your way of doing it.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2010, 10:36 PM   #4

Interesting. I had never heard of the problems. But, then never realized we could even attempt this with the K20.

Patty
nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2010, 11:39 PM   #5

I guess I'm just a cranky old luddite. Even if I had an eye-fi card I think I would still prefer to pop it in a card reader and transfer images the old fashioned way. But I must admit, if I got one as part of a promotion, I definitely would try it! I'm glad to hear yours is working well.
mtnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2010, 12:28 AM   #6

The only beef I really have about the Eye-Fi cards is that it doesn't recognize raw image files. If you want it to automatically transfer your photos you have to shoot exclusively in jpeg mode. The eye-fi forums have a nice thread requesting the added feature. Perhaps the pro models can do it, but this one can't that's for sure. I always shoot in raw mode so it's kinda inconvenient.

The one thing about geotagging with these cards as well is that it uses wi-fi access points that are registered with Skyhook to get the lat/long information. So if you are out in the countryside you aren't likely to be picking up any wi-fi access points so no geotagging happening there. The skyhook coverage is pretty extensive, but as you can imagine it's really only in urban areas.

That all said, at least it's a cool card for what it can do. If I was specifically spending my money just on one of these, I would probably just pass on it and get a standard SDHC card. The geotagging aside, the fact that it doesn't recognize raw and the large pricetag of these cards compared to a comparable card of the same size is enough to make me choose a regular sdhc card. I paid $18 for my 8gb class 6 Transcend sdhc card, the 4gb X2 card is $50. $100 for 8gb and $150 for 8gb pro x2 (that does support some form of raw file xfer). I can't justify that kind of price for what you are getting.
Old Mar 26, 2010, 5:59 PM   #7

Guys, a few corrections / additions:

* We've had RAW support for over a year now. The 4GB Pro card introduced RAW and ad-hoc support, and now, the Pro X2 8GB card also has ad-hoc and RAW support

* Most Class 6 cards do not cost $18. Actually, I'm not sure that your $18 Class 6 is a true Class 6 card, but I have no way of really knowing, unless it was measured for performance. Our Class 6 card will do 12MBps, which actually is between Class 6 and Class 10, but there is no "Class 8" :-) Branded cards like Sandisk and Lexar do not cost $18. They cost more like $35 or $40, and then the Connect X2 is only $10 more, or the same cost when you factor in a card reader.

* Every raw format is support, as well as every movie format, and AVCHD

* The X2 cards have Endless Memory, so actually, think of them as having infinite storage, and not just 4Gb or 8GB

* It's true that geo won't work, unless you're around metro areas. You don't need to connect to any network for geo to work, but you have to be around some faint Wi-Fi, that skyhook picked up, for the geo to work.

Thx --

Ziv.
gillat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2010, 6:38 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by gillat View Post
Guys, a few corrections / additions:

* We've had RAW support for over a year now. The 4GB Pro card introduced RAW and ad-hoc support, and now, the Pro X2 8GB card also has ad-hoc and RAW support

* Most Class 6 cards do not cost $18. Actually, I'm not sure that your $18 Class 6 is a true Class 6 card, but I have no way of really knowing, unless it was measured for performance. Our Class 6 card will do 12MBps, which actually is between Class 6 and Class 10, but there is no "Class 8" :-) Branded cards like Sandisk and Lexar do not cost $18. They cost more like $35 or $40, and then the Connect X2 is only $10 more, or the same cost when you factor in a card reader.

* Every raw format is support, as well as every movie format, and AVCHD

* The X2 cards have Endless Memory, so actually, think of them as having infinite storage, and not just 4Gb or 8GB

* It's true that geo won't work, unless you're around metro areas. You don't need to connect to any network for geo to work, but you have to be around some faint Wi-Fi, that skyhook picked up, for the geo to work.

Thx --

Ziv.
I stand corrected about the RAW support, but that doesn't change the fact that a product that's being put out as a promo item with Google NOW is an old product that doesn't support RAW. Just a fair warning for folks who plan to cash in on the promo with google if it's still ongoing.

And just for comparison sake, I tested the read/write speeds of both my 8gb transcend card and the 4gb Eye-Fi card with Sisoft Sandra with the provided Eye-Fi card reader, as the numbers are the same as my other card reader and so we can't say that one favors the other or anything. My transcend card, while having a slightly slower read speed (17MB/s) than the Eye-Fi card (22MB/s), had a much faster write speed (8.5MB/s) than the Eye-Fi card (4.5MB/s). I ran this test 3 times with each card and the results were the same. Now if the X2 speeds are much faster, fine by me. But this is the product I received and I can only base my assessment on what was sent to me. If Eye-Fi wants to change my assessment then send me a 4gb X2 card and I'll be happy to compare it to what I currently have. I definitely favor 8.5MB/s over 4.5MB/s any day.

Anyway, I'm done with that. It's a decent product for what it's worth. If you sign up for the google storage promo be aware that you'll get an old product that does NOT support RAW even though the newer X2 cards DO support it AND this older product has a very slow write speed, even though the newer X2 cards may be faster.

Last edited by MadMikeSS; Mar 26, 2010 at 7:45 PM.