Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Mar 26, 2010, 6:49 AM   #11

That is genius, I love it!

I bought a chinese ring "flash" but it's basically a ring of LED's on a lens mount, so it's really just a modelling light, but it's pretty good for the $40-odd I paid for it. When I get home I will do a mini-review so people can see it.
Tachikoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2010, 10:19 AM   #12

Here is the building instructions and material list for the Macro Flash Bracket.

1- (1) Oxo Good Grips foldable 16” ruler Staples $6.95 http://www.staples.com/OXO-GOOD-GRIP...=StaplesSearch
2- (2) Flex Neck LED reading lights Great Point Light Flex-Neck Reading Light 2 LED GREEN (160398115270) $11.95 e-bay or Borders Books. I found this e-bay seller reliable.
3- (1) Package small ¾” binder clips. You can purchased 12 for $1.00 at a dollar store
4- (1) Plastic pencil box. Staples $1.00 (cut up to make flash shield) one box yields 2 shields. (store item Only)

5- (1) Cheap UV filter ring to fit the lens you are using. If the front of the lens is non-rotating than this will work. If the lens rotates you will need a used or cheap polarizer. In both cases the glass should be carefully removed. Purchase on e-bay or from local camera store. In my case I had an old 52mm linear polarizer that I used @ no cost) or you can buy on e-bay for $7.53.
http://cgi.ebay.com/Tiffen-HCE-52mm-...item335a059de4

6- (1) Knob with I ½” ¼-20 thread.
7- (1) 1 ½” OD X ¼” ID steel fender washer.
8- (1) Plastic fender washer 1 ½” OD X ¼” ID.
9- (1) Rubber or Neoprene washer 1 ½” OD x ¼” ID.
10- (1) Rubber or Neoprene washer 1 ½”OD x 3/16” ID.

If my memory is correct it cost about $7.00 for all the hardware @ Ace Hardware.

Directions:

1- The black plastic (taken from the pencil box) should be cut to a 3” X 5 ¾” rectangle. Cut a hole the size of your filter ring threads (trace around threads) in the black plastic. I used an X-Acto knife to carefully cut the hole (it should be a tight fit on the filter ring). The hole should be centered and about ½” up from the bottom. Fit the plastic onto the threaded ring of the filter and screw it onto the lens.
2- Cut two pieces of cardboard (Approximetly 1/32" thick) into a 4”x5” size. Cover the cardboard with aluminum foil dull side out to become reflectors. You can also cover two calling cards with foil to have as a smaller reflector.
3- Assemble the hardware as follows:
Place the knob on a table. Next place the steel fender washer, then the 1 ½”ID rubber washer, followed by the 1/1/2” ID plastic washer. Next the Oxo folding ruler and last the 3/13” ID rubber washer.
In the picture below shows how to assemble the hardware as shown from right to left. The last rubber on left goes on top of the Oxo ruler.

Buy the way this whole contraption only weighs 9 ounces.

Lou
Keltech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2010, 2:16 PM   #13

Nice work Lou.
you know me, I love this kind of stuff.

Life's a breeze on a Goldwing...
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2010, 10:12 PM   #14

A list of materials would be great.
dichro1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2010, 6:35 AM   #15

Keltech,
This is way too cool!
Take care,
Glen
tacticdesigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2010, 11:52 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacticdesigns View Post
Keltech,
This is way too cool!
Take care,
Glen
Thanks Glen, glad you enjoyed seeing it.

Lou
Keltech is offline   Reply With Quote