Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Mar 26, 2010, 12:26 PM   #11

Lovely series Mole!

I like the first falls shot the best. I like seeing the whole breath of the falls. I like the lighting conditions on the other shots better but the rock in the foreground draws my attention distracting me from the principal interest of the photo the falls themselves.

OK Mole it's only March have these flies lost there calendar? LOL Nice macros!

Lou
Keltech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2010, 1:39 PM   #12

Awesome pics, love the mayflies!

What lens were you using for those by the way?
Tachikoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2010, 1:47 PM   #13

Nice work Mole.
We really enjoyed our hike up to Margarette Falls when we were there last year. These photos makes me want to come back again this fall. For whatever reason, photos of this particular falls don't really do it justice, its one of those places that you really have to be there in person to truly appreciate how awesome it is.

Life's a breeze on a Goldwing...
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2010, 8:07 PM   #14

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

Very nice work as always Mole...the waterfall images are stunning! THe macros of the insect and flowers are top notch as well. You get more out of the K-m than I do of my K10D!
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2010, 11:30 AM   #15

Lovely flowers as usual, mole. I prefer the first waterfall. Lovely.

I can ask my husband about the mayfly. That's his thing. He's always trying to emulate what he sees in the streams.

Patty
nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2010, 8:11 PM   #16

These are gorgeous Mole. I love them all. Since you asked, however, I prefer the first mayfly photo. I find the second one a bit distracting with the bit of moss(?) leaving the right edge of the frame, and the insect's tail leaving the left edge.

The waterfall photos are stunning as usual. I'm especially interested to see that the sandstone layer at the top is pretty nearly horizontal, but the sedimentary layers at the base of the falls are very decidedly sloping. I know I've asked this before, but my memory isn't what it used to be: what shutter speed did you use for your waterfall photos?
mtnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2010, 5:51 PM   #17

Identification of the mayfly, per my husband - quill gordon. Per "Fishbugs - The Aquatic Insects of an Eastern Fly Fisher" - "the nymph is of the type known as "clinger" that live in very fast water. Large, overlapping, plate-like gills extend along its sides to harness the force of the current by pressing the insect onto any surface it cares to traverse usings its strong legs and claws." It is very similar to the Hendrickson that he first thought it was which was why he pulled the book out. I guess one has two wings and one has three.

Patty
nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2010, 8:17 PM   #18

Very nice series, Mole! I also prefer the first mayfly because you got the tail in. I never knew about them, a very interesting story.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2010, 5:39 AM   #19

Bluenose - Thanks - glad you liked them! Considering how often I see mayflies, stoneflies & such near the falls, it's surprising how rarely I see anyone fly-fishing the creek.

Paul - Some of the big yellowish ones (Ephemerella species maybe??) emerge in huge numbers in some areas - definitely a memorable experience!

Frogfish - Thanks for the kind and helpful comments!

Ned - It is a great waterfall - in some ways the next falls up (Bailey Falls) is even nicer - smaller but more concentrated flow, in a small dark grotto - but did not have time for the off-trail jaunt on up this time - will have to return. Glad you liked the bloodroot photo too - it's one of my favorite early spring blooms - and it looks like this will be a good year for them too!

Lou - Thanks for your very helpful waterfall comments - I wasn't sure if the rocks added or detracted... I will have to buy those mayflies a new calendar! (Actually different species have different hatch dates - usually in spring or early summer, but not always May...)

Tachikoma - Thanks! Lens used is a Sigma 105 macro.

GW - Glad the photo brought back good memories. I agree that my photos are never as good as the real thing! (PS - just for you, will post another photo taken last fall with a person in the foreground, to show perspective better).

Jelpee - thanks so much for your very kind words. You produce some excellent images with your K10D!!

Patty - Thanks! And thank your husband for the fine information!

Mtnman - Thanks for the very helpful input! This was a very patient (or maybe just too cold to move) critter, so I took LOTS of shots from a variety of angles and settings... Indeed the area around Margarette Falls (including the falls itself) has some fascinating geology. Shutter speeds - 1st shot 8 seconds, 2nd shot 1 second, 3rd shot 4 seconds.

Harriet - Thanks! Glad you enjoyed the story too! (Isn't our earth full of amazing natural stories...)
mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2010, 5:40 AM   #20

Since GW commented on Margarette Falls in the autumn, here's an autumn shot (last november) with a friend standing near the base for perspective:
Attached Images

mole is offline   Reply With Quote