Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Mar 26, 2010, 6:49 AM   #1

Default Spring coming to Margarette Falls

Was working in Greene County yesterday, and had a few spare moments to run up to Margarette Falls. It's a fine little hike in Cherokee National Forest, gentle uphill and mostly close to the delightful (but not at all dry) Dry Creek.
Attached Images

mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 26, 2010, 6:51 AM   #2

A little higher elevation here than at home, so not much blooming yet. But there were a few Carolina Spring Beauties, and two Bloodroots (bloodroot has red, blood-like sap, especially concentrated in the roots. The blooms only last a day or so).
Attached Images

Old Mar 26, 2010, 6:55 AM   #3

Speaking of things that do not last, Spring is full of these ephemeral happenings. Yesterday there was a small hatch of Mayflies from Dry Creek. Not sure which species this is, but most mayflies spend 2-3 years as nymphs in the water, clinging to stones, and then hatch out on a fine spring day. By the end of that day, they're all dead...
Here are two close-up views of this tiny insect (may post a few more at the Macro section of the forum) - any preferences?
Attached Images

Old Mar 26, 2010, 6:57 AM   #4

Of course, the big attraction at the Margarette Falls Trail is the falls. It's about 60 feet high, with some very interesting rock formations. Falls were running well yesterday, thanks to all the recent rains. Here are a few views - any preferences?
Attached Images

Old Mar 26, 2010, 6:58 AM   #5

Did not have time to go on up beyond the falls to my favorite little waterfall - Bailey Falls. But do intend to return soon as time permits!

Thanks for any suggestions, comments and critique!
Old Mar 26, 2010, 7:13 AM   #6

It's nice to see spring blooming in the mountains.

"Yesterday there was a small hatch of Mayflies from Dry Creek."

As a fly fisherman, a mayfly hatch is always a good sign. Not sure about the exact type - perhaps Hexagenia? I don't worry about specific names too much, I just try to match the hatch with whatever fly looks close in size and colour.

As always, great images.

Regards
bluenose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2010, 10:25 AM   #7

Really nice waterfall photos, but I have to admit the mayfly photo interests me most. I had never seen one at that level of detail. I became aware of their lifecycle a few years ago when a cloud of them invaded a football stadium next to a lake during a game I was broadcasting. They were so thick as to cause breathing problems for players and visibility difficulty for fans and press box workers.

Paul
Trojansoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2010, 11:41 AM   #8

Love the Mayfly photos Mole. I like the water in the first photo the best, not too blurred / not too sharp.
Frogfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2010, 11:45 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by mole View Post
Was working in Greene County yesterday, and had a few spare moments to run up to Margarette Falls. It's a fine little hike in Cherokee National Forest, gentle uphill and mostly close to the delightful (but not at all dry) Dry Creek.
Lovely falls, Mole! Cool water action... nice colour.
Eetu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2010, 11:47 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by mole View Post
A little higher elevation here than at home, so not much blooming yet. But there were a few Carolina Spring Beauties, and two Bloodroots (bloodroot has red, blood-like sap, especially concentrated in the roots. The blooms only last a day or so).
These are just beautiful, Mole! One is really lovely... the last two particularly catch my eye... especially the last one...
Eetu is offline   Reply With Quote