Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Mar 28, 2010, 9:11 AM   #11

I really like this set - a neat story to go with the great pictures. My first thought was "milking time" when reading your post, until I looked at the cattle. While I know little of cows, I did recognize them as the steaks on the hoof type.

Sort-of sad to see the city encroaching on the farm though - somewhere down the line it will become a housing tract, too probably. I'd rather see it stay a farm.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2010, 10:28 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtngal View Post
I really like this set - a neat story to go with the great pictures. My first thought was "milking time" when reading your post, until I looked at the cattle. While I know little of cows, I did recognize them as the steaks on the hoof type.

Sort-of sad to see the city encroaching on the farm though - somewhere down the line it will become a housing tract, too probably. I'd rather see it stay a farm.

Mtngal's post reminded me of the situation where I live. When we first moved to our house, a quarter of a century ago, a 5 minute walk took us out to the country...grain farms, some dairy farms, right by a small river.

In the last 5 years the farms have been sold and now are developed ...housing...goes on for another 2-3 miles.

The river is surrounded by housing...although fortunately there is about 100 acres of riverine forest left, untouched by the developer...only because of pressure put on the political system by an effective wildlife advocacy group.

The small forest that is left, is a treasure for residents. It has almost 70 species of mammals, birds, amphibians, reptiles and fish,along with an amazing array of insects and flora.

I have taken pictures of Great Horned Owls, Barred Owls, Pileated Woodpeckers (old growth forest), River Otters, Muskrats, Beavers, Snapping and Western Painted Turtles, Kingfishers, Garter snakes, etc...

When I go for walks through this beautiful little forest, I'm amazed at how nature will find a way...even in a small acreage..to survive and flourish.
lesmore49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2010, 10:30 AM   #13

Such great pictures and a nice story. I love to see these old barns still in use for what they were intended for. Too often they are just stuffed with peoples junk.

Lou
Keltech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2010, 11:18 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtngal View Post
"Progress" was not good for my grandfather. He was running cattle on about 950 acres of prime bottomland along the Little Red River in the 40's and 50's when the decision was made to dam the river, flooding almost all his land. Real estate developers, possessing maps of where the prime land would be when the lake filled, paid him what he thought was a fortune, but was really a pittance for prime lake front property. Compensation from the government for the flooded land was a fraction of what it was worth.

When I was a kid, living in town, his place was much like the scenario Les described.....well out in the country, surrounded by other ranches and farms. In fact, I remember the excitement of getting water into the house and no longer having to use the outhouse.

The lake saved the area economically, but it wasn't a victimless victory. My aunt inherited the property. Without the work of her second husband, "Cotton," the land would already be subdivided. She and Cotton are both up in age, and her daughter, who stands to inherit, is a city girl from Kansas City. I'm sure the subdividing is going to be far sooner than we would like, rather than later......one of the reasons I made a point of getting this series of photos while I was in town.

And Lou, before we fall too much in love with the bucolic air of the place. There were two reasons I didn't do close-ups in the barn....1) I didn't want to wade into the barn and 2) I didn't want to show all the junk they had crammed into it beside the feed, lol.

I have to say I enjoyed this sequence and some of the memories it provoked. My grandfather loved playing the cattle baron, even with his small operation. The first of the attached photos is from the 60's. I don't think I took it, but it's possible that I did. The second, I know I didn't take, because the squirrely looking kid in the photo already had his mouth open too much. This photo, by the way, was taken by my grandmother with her 1920's vintage Kodak Brownie. (Pardon the non-Pentax photos, but they sort of complete the story.)

Paul
Attached Images

Trojansoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2010, 12:02 PM   #15

Great old time pictures. I had/have relatives in the farming and cattle business in Saskatchewan and Alberta. Those pix take me back to those days in the '50's and early '60's.

Great story...and interesting history.
lesmore49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2010, 12:31 PM   #16

OMG, Paul, has your mouth always been that way? Very funny.

And, sad story about the farm. I still live in a small community where the farms are relatively safe for a little while at least. But, the old timers are disappearing quickly and they are the ones that always put up the fights about condo units or apartments going up. The new people want more to keep our taxes down.

Patty
nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2010, 5:23 AM   #17

Paul - great story so well told - with both sets of photos! And indeed, a sad story being retold across our nation, of the family farms disappearing as land is sought for other uses...
mole is offline   Reply With Quote