Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Mar 28, 2010, 9:17 PM   #1

Default Spring Wildflowers

Last week was too early for the Gorman Hills, but they sure were nice today. I also drove past the Antelope Valley Poppy Reserve and there's lots of flowers on the hills, with poppies all over the lower flatland around them. Hoping that the flowers last all week - I was out of town this weekend and didn't have time to really stop on my way home.

Some pictures along Gorman Post Road:

As a side note - I'm probably standing on the San Andreas Fault zone - it goes through this area.

There's only a few California Poppies blooming - you can see tiny dots of orange mixed in the bright yellow.

There are a number of small ponds that are spring-fed beside the road. This one may have water all year, but not always. These hills are normally bare of trees, though some grow around the ponds. A fire a few years ago burned many of them.

The hills are well known for their wildflower displays. This doesn't look like it will be a good year for poppies, but it's not bad otherwise. I'm guessing that word will spread quickly that the bloom is in progress and the place will be swamped with flower lovers next weekend.

I should find out what those yellow flowers are called, they are all over. While they look tiny in these broad shots, they aren't that small:

They are just a common wildflower, but really pretty in the vast quantities blooming now.

Fire in this area is of concern - there's a number of major power lines going through the area. One of the fires that occurred near this area took out over a mile of power poles that feed our area - we were without power for almost 3 days over one Labor Day weekend about 5 years ago or so. What impressed me was how quickly they resorted power, considering how many poles they had to replace.

It will be fun to watch if other flowers bloom after the yellow ones. I have no idea what they are other than a yellow flower that looks a bit like a daisy.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 28, 2010, 10:00 PM   #2

These are really beautiful Harriet. I can decide if #1 or #2 is my favorite. I love the diagonal lines of #1, and how the patch of yellow flowers tracks along with those lines. But #2, with its vast expanse of wildflowers all over the place, really captures my imagination. I want to tromp through those hills right now!

By the way, it must be fun, and just a bit disorienting, to have one foot on one tectonic plate, the other foot on a different plate. In actuality, the tectonic margin probably isn't so sharp that you could span it with your legs, but that wouldn't stop me from trying if I were there!
mtnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2010, 10:02 PM   #3

[quoteIt will be fun to watch if other flowers bloom after the yellow ones. I have no idea what they are other than a yellow flower that looks a bit like a daisy.[/quote]

Harriet, normally when one sees a field of yellow in Southern California, one assumes they are introduced mustards, but these are not - I think these might be Goldfields, Lasthenia californica, a native member of the sunflower family, or something similar. Here is a handy guide to local wildflowers in the nearby Sierras that you might find useful - there are pages of pictures arranged by color. Go to the Yellow page and you will find Goldfields.

http://www.birdmom.net/wildflowerindex.html

Last edited by penolta; Mar 28, 2010 at 10:07 PM.
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2010, 10:04 PM   #4
Super Moderator

These are nice Harriet. Great colors, and overall they are quite pleasing I am really liking 1,2 and 4.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2010, 5:43 AM   #5

Beautiful photos - both of the broad sweep and of the details. Especially fine composition on #1, 2 & 4.
I would have guessed some kind of Coreopsis for the yellow flower, but then, I don't know your western flowers at all...
mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2010, 9:52 AM   #6

The pictures I looked at last night made me think they were some type of coreopsis, as a wildflower website I went to said that they were blooming now in Kern County. But Goldfields also grow around us, so I don't know. I thought mine didn't quite look right comparing the on-line pictures of goldfields, but I didn't match it to any of the on-line pictures of various coreopsis I looked at either.

Penolta - thanks for the information that mustard is a non-native plant. I used to see it all over in vacant lots when I was living in the San Gabriel Valley, but it doesn't seem to have taken hold up in our area much. I always thought it was rather ugly, where these are very pretty and colorful.

Thanks, Dustin, I always appreciate your comments.

mtnman - Every day thousands of people drive past this spot (some of these pictures were taken at a spot with only a fence and a bit of shoulder/land separating me from Interstate 5) without realizing that they are driving on/over the fault. It's not marked as such, and from the ground it's not as obvious as it is from the air. And you are right - the fault at this point isn't a line where you can say one foot is on one side and the other foot is on the other side.
Old Mar 29, 2010, 10:26 AM   #7

Excellenarah Joycet sweeps of vivid color, Harriet-

That is a real Spring treat.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2010, 2:33 PM   #8

Harriet, You have a way of bringing back childhood memories. been a long time since I've driven that rout.

Life's a breeze on a Goldwing...
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2010, 4:57 PM   #9

Thanks for the compliments, though I'm not so sure that GW's comment was a compliment. Childhood memories can be good or bad, and perhaps they aren't ones you want brought back? I can remember being incredibly bored when traveling in a car sometimes, but perhaps those times/memories were worse for my parents ("are we there yet?").
Old Apr 1, 2010, 11:33 AM   #10

Ha Ha at first glance I thought you had captured a Tri-Plane coming over the hill in the last picture! Alas just a utility pole.
bock1965 is offline   Reply With Quote