Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Mar 31, 2010, 6:32 PM   #11

LOL

Mtngal, I think you just described any sane photographers dream camera!

I think Eetu has come to the conclusion a lot of "experienced" photographers refuse to admit. Each camera option has it's merit's and downfalls, you make the choice that is most important to you and live with the downsides.
Tachikoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2010, 8:19 PM   #12

Very glad you've made your choice Ned. As I posted previously, several years ago when i was about to make the jump from an EVF superzoom to a DSLR, I evaluated all the options. Nikon, Canon, Olympus, all fine companies making fine cameras. Konica/Minolta was struggling, so I decided not to but into a brand that had a very questionable future. Sony wasn't yet a player in the DSLR market. In the end I went with Pentax, and I have never regretted it.

Now my biggest challenges are finding the time to actually take some pictures (there's a reason why I don't post many photos), and resisting the urge to buy more and more lenses!
mtnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2010, 11:19 PM   #13

One more thing about becoming a Pentaxian - watch out for a terminal condition many folks get who buy Pentax cameras get. It's called LBA (lens buying addiction) and related syndromes CBA (camera buying addiction) and BBA (bag buying addiction) - there's no known cure. You'll know you have it when you have 5 different lenses that all cover 50 mm somehow. Or when your camera bag has gotten too heavy to carry.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2010, 1:05 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tachikoma View Post
LOL

Mtngal, I think you just described any sane photographers dream camera!

I think Eetu has come to the conclusion a lot of "experienced" photographers refuse to admit. Each camera option has it's merit's and downfalls, you make the choice that is most important to you and live with the downsides.
Ok. got this msg. Thanks, and thanks for PM. Thanks for your words above.
Eetu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2010, 1:09 AM   #15

Thanks mtnman and mtngal. When it comes to "lenses", well, I know that I want to be very critical and careful of what I buy. I sort of have a list here of what to get, but that will have be a long ongoing project. Thanks
Old Apr 1, 2010, 4:01 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtngal View Post
There is no perfect camera. Period. No matter what price. All of photography is a trade-off and the hard part of buying a camera is to identify your own personal needs and wants, then try to come up with the camera that gives you the most that you want. I'd love to have a camera with Nikon's flash system, Canon's AF tracking capability, weather sealing, Pentax's color/contrast/look to its pictures, the controls of the K7 and the high ISO capability of the Kx, the dynamic range of the 645D or a full frame camera, size and weight of the Kx and all for about $600.

But that's not likely to happen any time soon. So I'll just keep my 3 Pentax cameras and dream about getting a Kx someday, after I get a few more lenses and some other accessory items I'd love to have.
Really spot on words, Harriet! You have really hit the nail on the head with what you wrote! I feel the same way. I really, really tried to see if there was any camera OTHER than Pentax, but for MY needs, but I kept coming back to the K7. The link above, showing pictures of various cameras side-by-side with the K7 proved that K7 is right for me. But, having said that I only realize that Pentax is very far from perfect. Like you noted above, you wish you could have a camera that would have vaious features all in one... that camera is not out there. I think that your words are the BEST approach to discussing cameras, as opposed to knocking other cameras for this or that... better is tactic of finding out what is best for each individual. Very nice post! Thanks. Ned
Old Apr 1, 2010, 4:05 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
So can we presume you got you tax return back?
No, I wish I could I just got my tax return... its not in yet, but I did receive today (Thursday) a letter from the tax office that my return has been processed and accepted... I just got off the phone with my accountant, he said I should have it in about two weeks... Can't believe I am getting over 1300 euros. Now I just need to home in (decide) which lens to get.

Ned
Old Apr 2, 2010, 3:37 AM   #18

congratulations on your choice
i am looking forward to seeing some photos with it
you have a list of lenses??
sounds like early LBA lol

my last tax return could of gotten me a couple of lens caps
Old Apr 2, 2010, 4:09 AM   #19

Gumnut, do I have a list of lenses??? Is the pope Catholic??? You betcha. But once again, this first-born perfectionist is left with too many jok'n choices.

Ned
Old Apr 2, 2010, 9:45 AM   #20

I'll second the too many choices comments. I still haven't made up my mind what to do for a kit lens replacement (don't have any money at the moment for it anyway). The problem is that there's way too many GOOD choices out there and I want all of them!
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote