Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Mar 31, 2010, 12:39 PM   #1

Default It's the Pentax K-7 for me

My months of information overload can be safely put aside... It is definitely Pentax K-7 for me. I did some research to force myself to really look, even WANT something other than the Pentax K-7. Then I came across this link. If you have a moment, take a look... would love to hear what you think.

http://www.foto-natura.net/immaginiperforum/COMP/content/k20d_k7_1600_large.html

Bottom line... a camera is a tool. It is having the right tool that does the job. This tool is for me. I am happy for others who other brands of tools, cameras. I enjoy what they do, the pictures they have to share, but this tool is right for me, it is a good tool, it is not without its limitations, as no camera is perfect (THAT is one thing I have learned in doing all my research). Anyway, would appreciate feedback about the link.

All the best.

Ned
Eetu is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 31, 2010, 2:25 PM   #2

It is a great camera, you should get much enjoyment form it. So can we presume you got you tax return back?
Old Mar 31, 2010, 2:34 PM   #3

The link you posted shows the K7 compared to the K20, which is actually interesting, though I question whether the two cameras were set for the same color modes - I haven't noticed as much color differences between the two cameras, unless one is set to bright and one set to natural, but that's going from memory. I really should take both cameras out again, with similar lenses and take some good comparison shots.

As far as scrolling back through the other cameras compared to the K7 - Nikon has always seemed to have more aggressive noise reduction, especially comparing jpg (not as much when comparing raw). The extra noise reduction does tend to smear fine details, while Pentax leaves in more detail, letting the user decide how much detail to lose to noise reduction at high ISO levels. Many people prefer the smoother look of the Nikon, especially if they aren't pixel-peepers. They really do a good job of balancing noise/detail in a way that pleases a huge number of people when they are looking at sample (especially downsized) photos.

I'd rather have the detail and decide for myself - software can't add in details that aren't in the file, while it's simple to use software to smear them a bit to get rid of extra noise. A case of different strokes for different folks.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2010, 3:08 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
It is a great camera, you should get much enjoyment form it. So can we presume you got you tax return back?
Thanks! And, I should of mentioned, I am still waiting for the tax return... should of mentioned that. The tax office website states that they are backlogged... But it is coming.
Old Mar 31, 2010, 3:20 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtngal View Post
The link you posted shows the K7 compared to the K20, which is actually interesting, though I question whether the two cameras were set for the same color modes - I haven't noticed as much color differences between the two cameras, unless one is set to bright and one set to natural, but that's going from memory. I really should take both cameras out again, with similar lenses and take some good comparison shots.

As far as scrolling back through the other cameras compared to the K7 - Nikon has always seemed to have more aggressive noise reduction, especially comparing jpg (not as much when comparing raw). The extra noise reduction does tend to smear fine details, while Pentax leaves in more detail, letting the user decide how much detail to lose to noise reduction at high ISO levels. Many people prefer the smoother look of the Nikon, especially if they aren't pixel-peepers. They really do a good job of balancing noise/detail in a way that pleases a huge number of people when they are looking at sample (especially downsized) photos.

I'd rather have the detail and decide for myself - software can't add in details that aren't in the file, while it's simple to use software to smear them a bit to get rid of extra noise. A case of different strokes for different folks.

This is good to know... Thanks!

I was looking at some Dutch photos, taken with the K7... at 3200. I had no problem with what I saw. But when it comes to tools I need, I will work between 100 to 1600, I need high shutter-speed of the K7, I desperately need the weather build for these jok'n Finnish winters, where there is still one foot of snow on the ground.

One thing, however, that I have learned in my months of research is an appreciation of other cameras out there, especially Canon and Olympus. Not a "photographer" by trade, though 26 years ago, I worked for the second largest industrial photographic firm in Scandinavia. But there are great cameras on the market... but there is no perfect "ONE", at least not below 1000 euros.

This forum has challenged me to be a lot more critical (evaluating) when it comes to lenses.

Now it is time to give my first-born perfectionism tendencies a rest... I check my account each day to see if the Tax Office has done there duty...
Old Mar 31, 2010, 4:50 PM   #6

Well Hans, I'm pleased to know you've made your decision, now I can hardly wait for you to get it in your hands and start taking photos! The suspense is killing me.

Life's a breeze on a Goldwing...
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2010, 5:21 PM   #7

I hear ya, mate... Thanks.

Ned
Old Mar 31, 2010, 5:57 PM   #8

Glad you made a decision. That's the hard part. Well, maybe the second hardest part. Waiting on your refund is the first. Then, we look forward to seeing what you produce to share here with us.

Patty
nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2010, 5:59 PM   #9

Many kind thanks, Patty! All the best.

Ned
Old Mar 31, 2010, 6:43 PM   #10

There is no perfect camera. Period. No matter what price. All of photography is a trade-off and the hard part of buying a camera is to identify your own personal needs and wants, then try to come up with the camera that gives you the most that you want. I'd love to have a camera with Nikon's flash system, Canon's AF tracking capability, weather sealing, Pentax's color/contrast/look to its pictures, the controls of the K7 and the high ISO capability of the Kx, the dynamic range of the 645D or a full frame camera, size and weight of the Kx and all for about $600.

But that's not likely to happen any time soon. So I'll just keep my 3 Pentax cameras and dream about getting a Kx someday, after I get a few more lenses and some other accessory items I'd love to have.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote