Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Apr 5, 2010, 2:58 PM   #11

Thanks for the compliments, and glad I could provide some information on this rather obscure part of photography. I'm not so sure I like it enough to pursue much - it can be somewhat frustrating, is equipment intensive (you have to have a tripod and be careful about the set-up or else spend $$$ for a modified camera), and I'm not so sure I like the results enough to mess with it. I took some pictures while out Saturday in the mountains that were all right, but these urban ones I posted above are about the best I've managed so far. I don't have an eye for the right subjects quite yet - it's very hit-or-miss at the moment. I'm learning and thinking more about the nature of light and that's really useful when it comes to photography, so I don't regret the time I've been spending playing around with it.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2010, 9:13 PM   #12

Harriet, I have to agree with you that it is hard to do IR and have a feel for what the resulting photo is going to look like.

I think that with the R72 filter it is imposable to tell what you have until you get home and put the picture into Photoshop and develop it. It is somewhat like the old film days.

If you had an IR converted camera you would be able to chimp your photo and know if you liked the shot or didn't right on the spot. I think the learning curve would go up very quickly.

Lou

P.S. The IR B&W with color is a cool idea.

Last edited by Keltech; Apr 5, 2010 at 9:28 PM.
Keltech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2010, 10:05 PM   #13

I throughly enjoyed your shots. Again you raised the bar with the merge..
littlejohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2010, 12:04 AM   #14

Lou - you can chimp with the R72 filter, too, I have to in order to get the exposure right (it usually takes me a couple to dial in the shutter speed). I'm also using the in-camera histogram much more than I normally do, usually I go by the "blinkies" to judge if I've blown out something. It's harder to judge with IR because what you see on the LCD is all red - easier to go by the histogram. I'm also feeling much more comfortable using manual exposure. I've always known how to do it, but found it easier to just use P, Tv, TAv or Av depending on the situation, letting the camera figure out the rest of the exposure. When I was out in the fog early Saturday morning, rather than play with the Ev settings, I just put it in M, set the aperture I wanted and watched the meter while adjusting the shutter speed, to get the exposure I wanted. I always thought that was the slow, more chancy way of doing things, but I'm now finding myself comfortable using it in difficult lighting.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote