Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Apr 5, 2010, 7:38 AM   #1

Default Lba

I started writing this as an aid for Ned in his search for lenses / value for his new K7 and it ended up a full blown precis of my small collection. So by creating a new thread I thought maybe I can get some support from the group or at the very least some creative ideas on what to add to my list of future purchases

As far as LBA is concerned (and BBA - I now have two bags just 3 months after buying the K7 and am greedily eyeing another one I KNOW I will find a use for very soon) I forwent (that must be a word surely) the kit lenses and bought some MOR lenses to get me going and cover all the bases - figuring I won't lose much when the time comes to upgrade :-

Sigma 18 - 125mm (new ca. $350): my first (the memories will stay with me forever), don't hear much of this lens but it produces some very nice photos and is a great range for walking around.

Pentax 43mm Ltd (silver) - (I got this for a song $200) : you little beauty ! I have already been offered US$500 for it though so may have to sell it to fund my LBA

Pentax FA 80 - 320 (used $100) - I have some very satisfactory shots with this but then when pixel peeping Mike (on this forum) helped me decide I NEED to upgrade to the DA 55-300 (I mean I was pixel peeping, I'm not calling Mike, 'Pixel Peeping Mike') !

Tamron 70 - 300 macro (used $125) - better than the 80-320 and adds a nice little range for close-up shots too. Still want the 55-300 though !

Sigma 10-20mm - I love this range and have been trying to learn how to use it - my jaunt around town this weekend was mainly a disaster as when the sun started to go down I forgot I had a CPL on and couldn't understand why I needed such high ISO with long exposures ! LOL

A good learning experience though - I will be much better prepared next time out (meaning I will leave the CPL at home) !

Vivitar 2x TC (M42) and a set of M42 extension tubes, and M42 to PK adapter: all bought in 'anticipation' of buying M42 lenses !

Oh and I bought a reversing ring, a bounce / zoom flash, BDG4, a monopod and a tripod too ! 2 more sets of PK extension tubes are in the post and a ringflash will be joining them pronto (one benefit to living in China - I get to try all types of stuff out on the cheap) ! I still feel I'm missing something but haven't quite worked out just what it is yet. *Taps fingers in annoyance*

The Tamron 90 Di Macro will be joining them next week along with a Raynox 150 and a 250.

However I really, really, REALLY need to stop (as I am already in the throes of convincing myself I NEED a DA 300/4 or a Bigma) so have decided the best way to get my fix is by buying M42 lenses so that I can then work out what I REALLY need / want before my wife divorces me and demands the lenses as part of the settlement (she actually thought it was a good thing I was giving up golf and spending more time on my 'secondary' hobby).

I do now have a new pastime though - researching Super Taks, SMC Taks, S-M-C Taks, Sonnars, Vivitars, old Pentaxes and anything else with a M42 thread - I very quickly ended up with 100+ pages open in the browser ! Hopefully the M42s will stop me from buying everything under the sun my pockets will permit.

So, Ladies and Gentlemen, how goes your LBA ? Any tales of buying mistakes to quell our addiction, or maybe lenses to avoid (I was enthralled reading the thread, and looking at the samples, where Mtngal discusses her Takumar 135 / 2.5), maybe you can tell us that there is a cure or that our 'enthusiasm' will wane ? Be gentle.

Last edited by Frogfish; Apr 5, 2010 at 7:44 AM.
Frogfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 5, 2010, 10:01 AM   #2

There's no cure for LBA. I'm going through all kinds of mental gyrations trying to talk myself out of the FA 31 Limited, when what I really should get is a DA*16-50 and keep returning it until I get a good one. I've been trying to convince myself that I would be happy with the WR kit lens and the FA 31, but I'd probably only reluctantly use the WR kit lens. What I'd really like, if my budget would allow (which it won't) would be to get both the DA*16-50 AND the FA31 Ltd.

Do NOT sell that 43 Limited, no matter the profit, just to finance other lenses. What a great lens, just be happy you bought it for so little, so you can have an outstanding lens to use. That's one of those that you'll regret selling, then have to go out and buy another (at a MUCH higher price than what you originally bought it for).

You really don't need the DA*300 - all right, it makes a nice close-up lens (did some nice flower pictures with it) but it's no macro, it's much sharper than the DA 55-300, and there's a special quality to the pictures it takes, but that's all. It's large and harder to hand-hold - disregard the nice tripod mount it has. So you don't want to buy one at all. Forget about the weather sealing, who needs it for birds anyway? And if you do make the mistake of buying it, you'll probably need a bigger camera bag (it does NOT fit into a Lowepro Slingshot 200 very well at all, mounted or unmounted).
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2010, 11:16 AM   #3

Actually that's exactly what I wanted to hear ! I KNOW I shouldn't sell the 43 Ltd - it takes beautiful photos - I'm just at the stage that I don't know how much use I'll get out of it, although in a year or so I'm sure I'll realise it's EXACTLY what I want and regret selling it.

DA*300 - the problem is sites like this one ! I get seeing stellar photos that I know I don't have the reach / lens for and thinking ....... oh if only. Of course I'm also assuming I'd have the technical ability to use it which I'm sure I don't have yet !
Old Apr 5, 2010, 8:19 PM   #4

Hmmm... I guess I made a mistake selling my 43 ltd for $40.
the aperture wasn't working and I made that clear when I sold it but, the guy that bought it wasn't concerned.
I guess it was worth fixing.

Life's a breeze on a Goldwing...
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2010, 9:23 PM   #5

Small collection? You have much more of an assortment than I have. Do I regret any of the lenses I've purchased so far. No. I think each, even if I haven't used them a ton has covered a need I had at the time. My Sigma 28-80 macro, even though it's not used much gave me the knowledge that I really wanted a real macro lens. My kit, I am going back to more and more often lately. Since I'm getting a little collection here now, I've tried to think which I would sell just to have less in number, but I can't part with any of them right now. I think the only one I don't use much any more is the Pentax 50-200, my second lens bought for the extra zoom. Now if I want the zoom I use my Tamron 70-300 or 18-250.

I had purchased some extension tubes, but they didn't fit my camera (even though the ad said they did). They gave me a full refund including my shipping to and from. So, I don't feel bad about that. I took my 2X teleconverter with us to Newport yesterday with every intention of playing with it, but never managed to.

I am anxiously awaiting the delivery of the Viv 105 right now. I'm hoping this won't be a mistake I've made as I haven't heard from the guy since I sent him the payment (via PayPal, so I feel secure, but....) But, I must say I didn't always hear from him quickly in our month of negotiating.

Anyway, knowing I don't have a case of LBA, I can say the urges will wain. Well, take that back, maybe I do have a case of LBA? I don't think this is a disease that can be self-diagnosed.

Good luck. I think you do have a case of LBA.

Patty
nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2010, 10:23 PM   #6

I'm having the same problem with the FA 31 Ltd. I made the mistake of looking through a thread on a different forum that was devoted to just FA Limited lenses. Boy, was THAT a mistake! I thought I'd be immune, since I already have a much loved FA 77 Ltd. It doesn't get used a huge amount but do I ever love the pictures I do take with it. I keep telling myself that what I need is the DA*16-50, not the 31. It's just that 31 keeps calling my name.

I have some lenses I should really get rid - one or two I could probably sell while the others aren't even good paperweights. It's just I have trouble getting rid of anything, and I'm glad that I didn't get around to selling the one I wanted to for a while - it's a 50mm lens that works nicely reversed. So I keep adding lenses and having fun with it all.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2010, 5:18 AM   #7

GW - ha ha, oh dear, I bet that guy must have thanked his lucky stars !

Patty - Pentax 50-200, Tamron 70-300 AND an 18-250 ? You know the first step is admitting you have a problem I have read so many good things about the Viv 105 I was looking out for it (and the older Tammy) but since I couldn't find one at a good price I decided on the Tamron 90 (after seeing those utterly AMAZING shots from Grzegorz Cywicki using the 90 on a K7 ... and up to 300mm of extension tubes) !! Yes you read that right ... 300mm ! I am sure you are going to love that Vivitar judging from all the great shots I've seen from it ..... looking forward to seeing yours !

Mtngal - there's a Vivitar 17 - 28 on the EBay equivalent here for $100, I am so tempted (even though I have that range covered and the lens isn't even that fast) !
Old Apr 6, 2010, 8:09 PM   #8

Well, if I'd gotten the 18-250 first I probably wouldn't have gotten the 50-200. But, at the time, it gave me 18-200 in two lenses. When I bought my K100D they didn't come with anything but the 18-55.

So, you found the Tamron 90. I had been looking for it, too, but it was the same as the Viv. Always out of reach price wise.

How do you get 300mm of extension tubes? That's wild.

Patty
nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2010, 8:27 AM   #9

Get the Bigma...you'll not regret it!!
Old Apr 7, 2010, 9:04 AM   #10

Ha Ha - please don't BD ! I am soooo tempted.

However I've just bought my first M42 lens today : a Carl Zeiss Jena el. red-MC Sonnar 135/3.5 (M42) (for 80 Euros including postage to China from Europe, so around 65 net), and I'm really looking forward to receiving it. From all reports it seems to be very similar to the Jupiter 37A. The CZJ Sonnar also seems to have the great bokeh the Jupiter has, and looks just as sharp from the samples I've seen.

Well it looks that way in the hands of those that have good eyesight - now for me that may well be a very different story but I have to say that I am using my lens in full manual more and more (I just find it annoying when the K7 tries to correct me instead of letting me make my own mistakes) !!

Last edited by Frogfish; Apr 7, 2010 at 2:30 PM.